BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master

Yep, pretty much agreed!

Another classic is Hal Clement's "Mission of gravity". This is another great hard SF classic with a non-humanoid alien a one of the main characters.

"The story is set on a highly oblate planet named Mesklin, which has surface gravity that varies between 700 g at the poles and 3 g at the equator. The story is told from the points of view of one of the local intelligent life forms and a human explorer. The locals are centipede-like, in order to withstand the enormous gravity, and terrified of even small heights (because in 700 g even a tiny fall is fatal)."

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_of_Gravity[/url]

The science is focussed on the concept of an oblate planet and the lifeforms on it. I like weird sci-fi planets and intelligent alien centipedes are cool. This is one I'd love to see made into a movie. There is a human explorer to bridge the gap.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Just picked up the Xeelee omnibus from waterstones. Google is on standby for the difficult bits 😳. I didn't know Stephen Baxter had collaborated with Sir Terry Pratchett which bodes well.
    Last edited by grimmas; 02-04-2016 at 04:28 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Just picked up the Xeelee omnibus from waterstones. Google is on standby for the difficult bits 😳. I didn't know Stephen Baxter had collaborated with Sir Terry Pratchett which bodes well.
    He's collaborated with Arthur C Clarke too! "Ring" is my favourite of the Xeelee omnibus. That one just blew me away with the concepts and ideas. Man is a total legend.
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

Right everyone stop what you're doing.

Right now I have your attention.

Go forth, find, acquire and read this.

While it is the latest in a series, the only real series spoilers are the still living characters and the conclusion of the book immediately preceding it.
    But this is the first book in at least six months that I have sat down and read cover to cover essentially non-stop.
    I love what it did with Tolkien fantasy tropes, folklore, modern references and the series usual nameless lovecraftian horror.

In case you missed the subtle message, go read it.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Those tentacles look like it'll be up Xeno's street at least. I'll add it to the pile.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

I do recommend the entire series, and the authors complete published works.

Eldritch tentacle gribblies are more background dressing of the world, thought they do make appearances throughout the series.
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 07-25-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Chapter-Master

backround dressing I want them as the main characters though!

Chapter-Master

AX you'd definitely be better starting at the beginning.

Chapter-Master

Still waiting for Shuma Gorath to get it's solo outing too. #cosmichorrorrepresentation

I finished a book this week (took less than a week to read, which is pretty amazing for me right now) called "Almost Infamous."

[url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1940456509/[/url]

It was recommended by a friend, and it was a very fun read. Basic premise is it's a world where superheroes came about in the 1800s, and started influencing the world heavily, and there's a smattering of other modern marvel tropes thrown in (Atlanteans, one or two other formerly-hidden races on Earth, aliens, geniuses doing gene-splicing on people, that kind of stuff). Heroes and villains fought time and again, the heroes finally won the "War on Villainy," and there hasn't been a villain in two decades (and people are supposed to register any powers they manifest). This kid gets powers, doesn't want to register, doesn't want to be a hero, but wants fame and fortune and women (who he knows nothing about), so he decides to try to be a villain. That doesn't turn out so well, and he ends up roped into the superheroes' "Project Kayfabe" (a word I had to look up, but if you know what it means, it's obvious). Basically, they make a fake team of villains to fight in staged scenarios so the public thinks they still need independently operating heroes.

The protagonist (definitely not "hero") is, honestly, not terribly likable much of the time, but comes off as "real" because of it. It's also hilarious how he wants women and sex so bad but knows nothing about either... or pretty much life in general. In a world of perfect heroes, that's kind of refreshing (especially as it works to add more tension and humor to the story).

There's also bits between each chapter called "Supervillainy 101" that give brief history lessons on the world, and a "Lesson Learned" at the end of each that basically serves as a hint of what's coming in the next chapter.

Fun read, amusing characters, worth a read.

Oh, and for those who this is important to: The characters really are more than just a trope, and there's strong and weak characters of both genders. It's pretty fair in treating both genders equally. I know that's sometimes a problem with books. Can't say much more without spoiler territory, though.
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 07-30-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123