BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Banned

Might actually fit a whole squad in then

Reminds me of that old Golden Daemon of a Space Marine painting an epic scale Space Marine in his hand.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Might actually fit a whole squad in then
    LOL! yeah, always thought the vehicles were way too small for the 28mm figures but then 40k is full of scale issues really.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Yep. Back in 2nd Edition, I used to run two Dark Angel Assault squads. And they had a real mix of weapons. Powerfists, Powerswords, Poweraxes, Hand Flamers, Plasma Pistols, and of course Disposable Bob and Expendable Bill, who had no spanky weapons. When playing, I paid for their upgrades and played WYSIWYG. If I wanted to use them in a smaller game, then the whole squad went in without upgrades - kept it nice and simple, especially with the courtesy of reminding my opponent every turn 'remember dude, Assault Squad is barebones. Bolt Pistol and Chainsword only'
    Ha! Reminds me of my original Death Company. When I started getting my Blood Angels in shape for 7th edition after adding to them with Bloodstorm, I had to pop the arms off a bunch of those guys and re-equip them because they had so many weapons you could slap on them and, well, they *should* be unique, reflecting guys bringing their old gear with them one last time. Made it a bit crazy adding up the points and stuff, but it was fun.

And with 'closest casualty' WYSIWYG is even more important.

For those who played, consider 7th Ed and backwards Warhammer. Just how many times was the Wizard you just jobbed also, conveniently the one that had used up all their Dispel Scrolls?

Got to know what I'm shooting at at the best of times, doubly so when is closest casualty rules.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    LOL! yeah, always thought the vehicles were way too small for the 28mm figures but then 40k is full of scale issues really.
    They actually do fit! I saw a model once where someone had converted a bunch of marines to sit inside a rhino and gotten them to fit. Although the comment was that if you had heavy weapons, you were going to have to hug them like a teddy bear.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    They actually do fit! I saw a model once where someone had converted a bunch of marines to sit inside a rhino and gotten them to fit. Although the comment was that if you had heavy weapons, you were going to have to hug them like a teddy bear.
    I always assumed this is what they already did

I don't think Proxies or "counts as" are an issue at all. It has never been in any of the venues I play in. Playing the game is, after all, about playing the game. It could be done with bottle caps if someone didn't have anything else. Social interactions require other people, and are ultimately about the people themselves. What we choose to play or what we play with is kind of incidental. I'd rather have a game and good times with more people than have fewer (or none) while making pointless demands of others in regards what they can or cannot use while doing so.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 02-03-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Brother-Captain

I'd say the rule of cool does come in here. If it's about the right size and looks nice I'm usually game. I'm not a fan of random rubbish be used it needs to be a model of some description. Of course back in the day most of a vehicles were scratch builds so they were pretty much all proxies really. My scratch built stomper needs to proxies as a battlewagon (with appropriate upgrades) or Morkanaught as I was a little off scale wise when I built it.

There is of course the question of oop models. I still have a number of models from the original Imperial Guard range that they can't use anymore. I binned the rhinos, the Dreadnaughts need to proxie/counts as sentinels. My landspeeders are a little more problematic but I've been going with devil dogs by mounting them a chimera footprint size base and never tank shocking with them (I'm stripping 2 down I havent decided if I'm going to mount the pair together or not yet).
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chaplain

I still use stuff I scratch-built, like 'Nid spore pods and Ork battlewagons that didn't have an official model for years and years. Now they do have an official model, but I'm not rushing out to drop a couple hundred bucks on 'em. Does that make me a bad person?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast