BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What's your budget?

How do?

Time for some relatively idle chit chat, methinks.

As per the title, I'm interested in an idle way about what people's budgets are like when it comes to their hobby.

And not just GW, neither. I'm talking paints, books, models, glue, general supplies etc.

No cunning master plan at work, just interested.

For me, it varies.

This month for instance, I spent the equivalent of £164.00 in GW.

There was a bit of gap filling (final two AoS audio drama parts), keeping up to date with other books (completist weirdo) lead to the Fyreslayer Battletome and Novel, plus some bits for my Undead.

And that's pretty average for me, mostly because I like to have all the books to hand (I even kept the in order of release until I moved house) even if I don't play that army.

Previously, I'd also share that budget with X-Wing when new releases came out, but I recently sold all that stuff. I barely had time to play, and much as I like the models, I had waaaaay too much stuff (typically two or more of each small ship) and it took up too much space.

I would do a poll, but I've got no idea what to make the integers, and seeing as I'm not up to any clandestine shenanigans it wouldn't serve much purpose
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

About £30 a month on average (for my miniature collecting madness) - tend to spend most money on my film making hobby and also currently saving up to get my own miniatures cast which willl probably cost quite a bit, so being ultra conservative on the mini spending lately...
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

God; I dread to think! Most of my money is spent on eBay trying to source old school miniatures! Far too much
    http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk Here's my blog, a mix of retro 40k and 30k Horus Heresy hobby goodness! Please stop by and say hello!

Anything between £100-500 per month. Median is probably £200. It only gets high when two or three systems have a big release in the same month.

Spread over 40K, AoS, X-Wing, SW:Armada, Firestorm Armada, Dropzone Commander and Dust.

I also have Mars Attacks and Flames of War, and have just bought in to the Walking Dead kickstarter.

If you play multiple systems, it does add up. I take advantage of online retailers and bulk buy when possible, to get maximum bang for buck.

Not everything is painted, but if I find myself with less money or more time on my hands, I'm covered.

For added context, I have no kids, own my own house (low mortgage), don't drink (much) or smoke, and have a good job. I spend maybe 10 hours a week on the hobby. I don't have rich parents and had to work for every penny I have. And I do have a life outside the hobby (including a significant other who also has a good job).

I consider myself very very fortunate, I know not everyone has the time and resources for the hobby that I do. If I had a choice, I would spend more time on the hobby, not more money. My time split per week is 8 hours painting/modelling, 2 hours playing. I batch paint, and have several projects on the go at once, which makes for a very efficient pipeline - if I have to stop on one task (paint drying, out of paint, bored of rivets, etc.) I switch to something else immediately. No time is wasted.

So cost per hour is £2-10, median £4. Which makes it one of the cheaper hobbies out there. When people are posting their budget, can they work out a cost per hour too? That's a more important metric IMO.

What's a budget?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

depends what is coming out. I don't have a set monthly budget or anything. I have spent about £300 in my own weight in bits last couple of weeks
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    What's a budget?
    It's like a Parrot, but smallerer and yellowerer.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I may have eaten some of those. No wait I'm thinking of quail.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Or you're thinking of Nuggets, which are baby hens.

I don't really have a budget, as I tend to put aside cash in general (being a stingy bugger) and then every so often drop a £100 or so of it during a moment of weakness and start a new allied detachment or flesh out an army. Usually happens when GW release something limited edition, I'm a sucker for limited items as I know I can't come back for them later :P Not just GW stuff too, managed to get the last two limited Vic minis Adepticon miniatures.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast