BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Bugger....help please!

How do?

A while back I picked up the rather wonderful Skullvane Manse from GW during the short period it was produced.

And I built it up. And it was ace.

Sadly, the poly cement I used was a dodgy batch, and it crystallised on the plastic rather than fusing it all together like it's meant to.

Couple of weeks ago I broke out the tools, and took it apart. Plan was to scrape off all the dodgy glue, and then rebuild.

Except....except it didn't bloody work, did it? Either the glue crystallising did something to the plastic, or it's the plastic to blame, but it's just not forming a strong enough bond.

Can anyone give me a viable alternative adhesive for plastic, that isn't poly cement? I really don't want to bin such a great piece of terrain, especially when a replacement is now bank breakingly expensive.

Any help gratefully received!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    How do?

A while back I picked up the rather wonderful Skullvane Manse from GW during the short period it was produced.

And I built it up. And it was ace.

Sadly, the poly cement I used was a dodgy batch, and it crystallised on the plastic rather than fusing it all together like it's meant to.

Couple of weeks ago I broke out the tools, and took it apart. Plan was to scrape off all the dodgy glue, and then rebuild.

Except....except it didn't bloody work, did it? Either the glue crystallising did something to the plastic, or it's the plastic to blame, but it's just not forming a strong enough bond.

Can anyone give me a viable alternative adhesive for plastic, that isn't poly cement? I really don't want to bin such a great piece of terrain, especially when a replacement is now bank breakingly expensive.

Any help gratefully received!
    You could try using green stuff and/or pinning to join the thing together? Is a bit more work than poly cement, but would be tougher overall.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Would liquid Greenstuff suffice for that? I've got both kicking about somewhere like, it's just liquid sounds easier to work with?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Use a 2 part epoxy. Or something like jb weld.

Brother-Captain

Superglue should work. Don't use liquid greenstuff to glue the pieces together, it will NOT hold. Keep that for blending the joins afterwards, since it's probably going to look rough.

Otherwise the two part glues will work, but can be a bit tricky.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Never been a fan of superglue on plastic. It's just never really worked out for me.

The two-part stuff seems a fair bet though, and I suspect will require some clean up after it's dried to smooth it off.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Never been a fan of superglue on plastic. It's just never really worked out for me.
    I've had some good results by adding a bit of green stuff first, so there's a bead or tube of greenstuff in the middle of the join, depending on what shape that join is, daub superglue around the greenstuff but not over it, then press the two surfaces together.

I started doing that because the initial bond is quicker than using two-part epoxy. If you're able to use rubber bands/ a clamp/ handily-placed books / etc to hold the bits of the manse together while they bond, then two-part epoxy is great. I've moved away from using it only because my daughters are able to shake even the highest shelves, so anything with a slow bonding time is doomed to come out wonky.