BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I think Yorkie did get it wrong with Tau and failed to acknowledge that their caste system was the way they prevented the Tau race from imploding and destroying itself. I do however think he's got Orks pretty much pegged. (Although I do believe that wise exception of Chaos none of the races of 40K are "evil"). He did miss the most pertinent Ork quote though (I think apologies if I missed it)

"All Orks are equal, but some Orks are more equal than others"

On a side note I was under the impression that Tolkien, in part at least, based Mordor or South Africa. Of course given his description of Orcs in LoTR this does give it a somewhat sinister overtone. And his Orcs are Evil as f**k.

I enjoyed the read though thanks 👍🏻
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

followers of chaos are evil, chaos itself is not.

ethereals stopping the tau destroying themselves are one thing, but maintaining that hold is somewhat more sinister.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Brother-Captain

I'd agree with your assessment of chaos.

I'd always read it that the Tau would fragment and descend into chaos (as state of being rather than worshipping Chaos) without the Etherals and that it was more a case of necessity and survival rather than they were doing it purely for the sake of maintaining power (and they seem to gain very little beyond just being charge)

Chapter-Master

I don't know, that is what the ethereals want them to believe, doesn't make it true.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I don't know, that is what the ethereals want them to believe, doesn't make it true.
    Well if you can't believe an Alien ruling caste, who can you believe 😉

If Farsight is anything to go by though, the Tau would likely lose their overall unity, but wouldn't descend into a feral society- Farsight maintains order within the enclaves without much trouble it seems.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

People should learn the meanings of words they use to criticize with.

Might Makes Right is hardly a Caste system (it's really a Meritocracy). Slave isn't a class/caste (case in point: Ammo Runtz, Oilers, and orderlies hold more power than their less specialized brethren, despite still being slaves). Also, the Tau are too mercantile, conservative, and nationalistic to be properly Communist.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Thomas View Post
    People should learn the meanings of words they use to criticize with.

Might Makes Right is hardly a Caste system (it's really a Meritocracy). Slave isn't a class/caste (case in point: Ammo Runtz, Oilers, and orderlies hold more power than their less specialized brethren, despite still being slaves). Also, the Tau are too mercantile, conservative, and nationalistic to be properly Communist.
    That's just leftist bias. :P
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Thomas View Post
    Might Makes Right is hardly a Caste system (it's really a Meritocracy).
    Ork Kultur is, arguably, a pure meritocracy, because they respect strength and kunnin'... So even if you're a small ork, you can kill the warboss by blowing him up while he's asleep, and the others will go 'Sure, he's warboss now', right up until the next biggest ork staves your head in with an I-girder.

A small Warboss who's managed to take on everyone who might challenge him and survive? That'd be the scariest Boss of all, because that motherf**ker's going to be like Odysseus; all about clever taktiks and outside-da-box finkin'.

And yeah, Orks aren't remotely a caste system, because caste systems are rigidly defined by the social structures that surround your birth; you can't leave the caste, ever. Ork career potentiality is defined by personal capability. A big ork can become a nob, a boss, whatever it wants. A clever ork can become a painboy, a mekboy, a boss, again, limited only by his ability to be better than the orks around him.

The biggest, cleverest Earth caste member can never become an Ethereal.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

And it's about the focus of Kultur for Orks.

Grots get kicked about because, objectively, they're not as 'ard as even the weediest Yoof - so Grots have no chance to become Warboss. But.....other than that, they can be left alone. They're the workers. They build stuff. They sell stuff. They organise gambling when the Orks have an impromptu competition of any kind. If they can afford a Blasta, they can take to the field of battle if they want. If a Grot is serving an Ork, it's because he's after prestige and renown, not to mention some form of protection. It's a willing servitude, rather than 'you is my slave and dat's dat'

Just as Orks are objectively 'arder than Grots, Grots are objectively more kunnin' than Orks. When you culture is all about meritocracy, are you actually being oppressed if you can't compete in an area where you just can't compete? Nobody is saying a Grot can't attempt to topple and replace the Warboss, it's just any such action is inherently doomed to failure on account the Warboss is 'arder than any Grot will ever be. Grots are smart enough to know this, and so set about using their kunnin' to rip off as many Orks as they think they can get away with (or indeed, get away from)

Snots? Dude. They have the brain of a puppy. They're pets and nuisances, and have no potential beyond that. Well, except occasionally a snack.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 02-09-2016 at 05:02 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast