Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
but wouldn't that make it possible that the Ethereals themselves aren't being intentionally tyrannical, but instead falling into the role that has been designed for them?

The Tau are apparently made to follow just as much as the Orks are made to fight. They aren't so different after all.
Drew gets the crux of my argument from a slightly different flank. If the Ethereals are hardwired to lead - doing it on a biological basis - that is exactly the same motivation that makes orks fight - biological compulsion based upon DNA. On that basis, the relative 'evilness' of either species must be judged on the exact same basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
As for you points about meritocracies, I think what you say is true until you consider inheritance- the rich in this case can not only maintain their own position, but then maintain the positions of their descendants, regardless of the aptitude of the descendants. This is the bit that is not meritocratic.

But that is the status quo. Some people spend it all regardless. Some people - I think the cruellest of the cruel - withhold financial support and say 'stand on your own 2 feet.' I say that is cruel because that to me is exactly the same as saying 'I'm not going to have you inoculated because if you are healthy enough you will survive.'

The direct comparison is that an Ork might as a fluke of genetics, be stronger than his predecessor and thus compete for warboss as a matter of strength. He did not necessarily do anything of his own merit other than be fortunate that his fungus spores gifted him intelligence and strength enough to prosper. Exactly comparable to receiving an inheritance that allows you to forge on in society.

Yes an ork that goes to school and spends his free time weightlifting and learning martial arts so he can challenge for warboss is more meriting than a RL rich person inheriting their way to the top. But for the vast majority it is innate cunning and strength takes them there - as flukey as inheritance in the cosmic scheme.