BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default changing base sizes

Have just finished putting my dark elfs, and deamons for AOS, and marines for 40k onto 32mm round bases, and like the extra stability this gives the figures. As the bloodletters, space marines and necrons all now come with 32mm bases, I am thinking of re-basing my other 40k figures (dark elder, guard and orks) also onto 32mm, but as they still come with 25mm bases, would this be much of an issue for non-tournament play?

If you primarily play with a group of friends, then you should ask them rather than us. But, if you play significant numbers of 'pick up games' against strangers, I'd say there's a chance of running into an opponent who has a problem with this.

I don't think I would personally, and perhaps you wouldn't want to play someone who is so nit-picky over base sizes, but it does have an in-game effect, so it certainly could be an issue.

I'd leave it myself.

Whilst your heart is in the right place (everyone likes a stable model, after all), it's an awful lot of work to go to just for some neckbeard to throw a tantrum at.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I've had millions of arguments over base sizes - because I run a lot of old rogue trader models, and would not be arsed to change them unless I absolutely had to by explicit rules. I think the rulebook says soemthing along the lines of 'use the base provided' but then goes on to give some rule of cool jazz to stop modelling being penalised.

I think if you wanted to go bigger, the end result is your scatter and DS mishap is slightly more risky. But apart from that, a base cannot go more than 6" in any direction so the advantages (which your opponent may complain about) are small.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I've had millions of arguments over base sizes - because I run a lot of old rogue trader models, and would not be arsed to change them unless I absolutely had to by explicit rules. I think the rulebook says soemthing along the lines of 'use the base provided' but then goes on to give some rule of cool jazz to stop modelling being penalised.

I think if you wanted to go bigger, the end result is your scatter and DS mishap is slightly more risky. But apart from that, a base cannot go more than 6" in any direction so the advantages (which your opponent may complain about) are small.
    I concur. My old termies aren't going to be re-based onto new larger bases, nor are any of my oh rhino chasis tanks are going be made "bigger"
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Templates and blasts cover less big bases and generate less hits on bigger bases.
    A direct hit from a 5" blast will always cover at least 3 models in a unit with small bases but only 1 model in a unit with a bigger base (assumed a full 2" spread which is not that hard to maintain in elite armies where it matters most)

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Templates and blasts cover less big bases and generate less hits on bigger bases.
    A direct hit from a 5" blast will always cover at least 3 models in a unit with small bases but only 1 model in a unit with a bigger base (assumed a full 2" spread which is not that hard to maintain in elite armies where it matters most)
    Yeah, I always forget that bit.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Also neatly (and correctly!) nixxes by standpoint of 'no harm being larger than standard'
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I think changing the base sizes is stupid.

[Removed by Order]
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 02-14-2016 at 03:21 AM.