BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Librarian

Things that people don't complain about in AoS:

- Rules for free
    - Rules that come with the units

If they do that with 40k, then that'd be great. No need to buy every book, Woohoo!

Things that people complain about in AoS:

- Rules wording that leaves game changing details up to interpretation
    - Lack of any balancing mechanic in the game

The rules wording isn't so much worse than it in in other GW games, so that's not such a big deal. One FAQ and we're done.

But if Games Workshop takes all balancing mechanics out of 40k, they should add a suicide note in the back of the rulebook.

That's not to say that they couldn't conceivably balance the game with formations- but they need to put forth an effort to balance the game.

www.GardenNinja.com

GW. Balance the game... yeah ok, you lost me there.
    Everyone complains that 40k isnt remotely balanced, lots of people say it never has been balanced.
    Sooooo, why bother to balance it now?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Seems that one of the more notable rumormonger sites is reporting an admittedly EXTRA SALTY rumor that the points system in 40k is going away and that formations are all we'll get.

So 40k is about to get Sigmarized potentially.

Thoughts?
    I'd be good with it, as it would provide a convenient point for me to draw a line under my extensive but largely unused 40k collection.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Remember GW doesn't think you buy your miniatures for the game. They think you buy the minis for the models, for the joy of assembling and painting them. The game is secondary to your overall hobby experience.

Why should they spend so much capital in games development if their customers don't care as much about the game as the models*

*NOTE: This statement is based off of the statements that GW has made in their half-year statements about the nature of what they see as their customer base - not my own opinions which differ significantly.
    No it isn't, it's based on either your willful misinterpretation, you believing something you read online or your own inability to understand things.

They said that for 80% of their customer base, that playing the game wasn't their main motivation for buying, we've had polls here that back that up. They're saying that only 20% of customers only buy models to play the game with. They said that this hobby is a hobby and that for a lot of people, the collecting, painting and assembling them is their primary focus. I spend a lot less than 20% of my hobby time playing games and I'm sure almost everyone else here would probably be in a similar boat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I'd be good with it, as it would provide a convenient point for me to draw a line under my extensive but largely unused 40k collection.
    You can quit at any time you know? There is a log out button at the top of the page if that helps?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    You can quit at any time you know? There is a log out button at the top of the page if that helps?
    But I don't come here for the 40k silly, to quote your favourite movie,

"the truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

They said that for 80% of their customer base, that playing the game wasn't their main motivation for buying, we've had polls here that back that up. They're saying that only 20% of customers only buy models to play the game with. They said that this hobby is a hobby and that for a lot of people, the collecting, painting and assembling them is their primary focus. I spend a lot less than 20% of my hobby time playing games and I'm sure almost everyone else here would probably be in a similar boat.
    Oh spare me your pointless cheerleader hot air.

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together can read the statement that GW put out and infer that they've given up making *GAMES* and instead are focusing on making *Collectible models*. Anyone who denies the fact that the game itself is paramount in the ability to move models is just deluding themselves, or drinking the GW koolaid so hard that they're passing bolter bits every morning after coffee.

Regardless of what you think GW's strategy is (or what they've told you to think) - perception is reality, and gamers are feeling (perceiving) abandoned by GW lately. I see it every freakin day. My good friends in Minneapolis just told me that one of the oldest and largest stores in that area is completely dropping GW from their product lineup? Why? Because nobody is buying models from GW? Why? Because nobody up there is really *playing* GW games anymore.

Many people see the AoS-ification of 40k as the final straw and vindication of that perception. As a company, its GW's job to turn that perception around, or face the repercussions of being abandoned by some of their most historically loyal customers.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12