How do?

Currently listening to 'Death or Glory' by Iron Maiden, because it's ace.

And it's got me thinking about the unit type I find to be the most 'meh' in modern 40k. It used to be Bikes (only speaking for myself), but now it's most definitely flyers.

I don't mean the models, I really like those. I don't mean how tough the game can be if your opponent has gone airborne and your army has ridiculous few/no AA weapons in their Codex, as that's entirely situational.

No, I mean how they work on the field. They just don't appeal to me. Some are dedicated interceptors. Some are dedicated ground attack. Some are in the middle. But none satisfy.

I think they just don't belong in the scale 40k is played at. The field is much too smol, limiting how their rules can work. Now don't get me wrong, the current rules are massively better than FW's original take, but still disappointingly bland.

When I think Flyers, I think of dogfights and long, fast strafing runs. 40k has neither. Instead of incredibly fast jetspacedeathwings, we've got, well, really nippy but not terribly manouverable tanks with near-laughable armour ratings for the most part (not inappropriate though. Indeed, AV12 flyers are bent for a number of reasons)

If/when we get 8th Ed 40k, I'd love to see extra complexity for Flyers - even a sort of 'side board' game where dedicated interceptors can do their best to get in the way of bombing and strafing runs, on account that's what interceptors traditionally do. Intercept. To my mind, such units should have to get through the Interceptor to get on the board, or only enter once the Interceptor has intercepted and there's nothing else to intercept. Yes, I know this is a bit much. But still.