BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default "Decurion" Detachment Terminology

It seems that every new book that comes out has a "Decurion-style" detachment. I like these detachments; they add flavor to the game. However, I think we need a new name for these things. Here are my suggestions.

Battalion Detachment
    Battle Group Detachment
    Brigade Detachment
    Macro-Detachment
    Mega-Detachment
    Super Detachment
    Uber Detachment

What are your thoughts?
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Chaplain

Since it is made of formations rather than units I'd called it Formation Detachment

Brother-Captain

While it's accurate, it's not very colorful. I like Battalion. Dictionary.com defines Battalion as "a ground force unit composed of a headquarters and two or more companies or similar units." That seems to be what all the formation detachments consists of. There's an HQ detachment, at least one Core, and 1+ Auxiliaries.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    Since it is made of formations rather than units I'd called it Formation Detachment
    I agree.

It's a detachment made of formations; Formation Detachment.

Maybe Multiple-Formation Detachment.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    Slightly inaccurate, though. There already exists "formation detachments".

Battalion is a fun title, but not associated with anything that actually carries the title, sadly.

My own perspective is that detachments come in three flavors:

1) Role Detachment. This is the old version style of detachment. Its choices are made based on the Roles the unit carry.

2) Formations. Detachment with a restricted list of units. Comes with Special Rules instead of Command Benefits which allows them to be taken Unbound and still work.

3) Choice Detachments. This is the new style of detachment. It uses Formations, units, and lists of units to generate Choices to select from. Not fully disseminating, though, as every FOC slot of a Role Detachment is also a "Choice" as well, but these "choice detachments" are built using Core, Command, and Auxiliary Choices.

I already call them "super-detachments" because formations are a type of detachment, and hence it's a detachment of detachments. Seems reasonable to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nurglitch View Post
    I already call them "super-detachments" because formations are a type of detachment, and hence it's a detachment of detachments. Seems reasonable to me.
    And there have been formations that used Formations as their unit lists, and they have been around longer than the Decurion. First one was Strike Force Ultra, I think. I may have been one of the Leviathan ones, though. I cannot remember the release dates for them off hand.

First-Captain

I think Formation Detachment, although not super accurate, is the most succinct way to describe them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    I think Formation Detachment, although not super accurate, is the most succinct way to describe them
    Formations are detachments, though...