BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

If I remember rightly didn't the Planet Killer get destroyed during the gothic wars due to massive amounts of long range torpedo fire?
    Also we're completely forgetting a rather large factor here, The Eldar, while they're not allied with the Imperium they're not going to sit around and allow chaos to take over the galaxy given that the more power Slaneesh has the more likely the Eldar are doomed.
    The Eldar has better mobility than any other faction in 40k due to the webway, also the Chaos gods aren't all powerful even in the EoT this is evidenced by the ability of the Eldar to constantly show up and harvest spirit stones and leave before the Chaos Gods can do anything about it.
    It's going to be a lot harder for Abaddon to push all the way to Terra with the Eldar constantly sniping and raiding his forces, another factor is the Harlequins but they would be doing much the same thing as the Eldar.
    Also I don't think the Chaos gods can just shut down the warp to the people they don't like, if they could i'm pretty sure they would have done it far earlier than now, hell Slaneesh would have done it during the fall of the Eldar and wiped them all out.
    The thing about Chaos gods is all the fluff points towards them not being true "gods" at all, merely extremely powerful beings that inhabit the warp, that's why they're so fickle about handing out power, they don't want anyone to have more than they do

Brother-Captain

Nope the Planet Killer is A'OK Abaddon is much more careful with his super weapons than your average SciFi villain.

As to the Eldar I take it you haven't read the HH series? Legion in particular suggest that their plan for
    defeating chaos doesn't involve aiding the imperium (I'll say no more as there be spoilers). They do have the Web way which does mean that they can move without worrying about the denizens of the warp. The trouble with the Eldar is they are really the bonus ball of the 40K universe they aren't any good on their own, if the imperium can't get to somewhere the Eldar aren't any good on their own. That's of course if they will even bother to help which isn't that likely given what went on during the Heresy. The Eldar don't have the military might to directly affect the outcome anyway they might be able to guide and alter events but when all out war starts they need to step back and that's where we're at.

The Chaos Gods are very powerful warp entities. They are a more traditional form of God who feed off the prayer/sacrifices of their followers in a similar to the Norse/Greek/Roman mythology, they are even more capricious though. They have shut down the warp previously most notably the Ruinstorm during the Horus Heresy. It was something that requires a massive sacrifice to achieve. The Planet Killer and activated Blackstone Fortresses could achieve this level of sacrifice which much less effort than it took for Horus' forces.

Edit: I'm loving that this thread got ressurected by someone having an dig at AoS. Who'd have thought that'd have a positive outcome.
    Last edited by grimmas; 03-30-2016 at 02:22 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Abaddon won't win. Chaos is in its nature divided. The Emperors strength is in unity. The Imperium stands through everything. The palace withstood a similar threat in the Heresy when Terra was blockaded. The essence of the Emperor is an archetypal strategist. Defense is his bread and butter. All he has to do is move his forces accordingly to counteract any moves by Chaos. This is an eternal struggle after all. As the mantra says "There is no peace amongst the stars only war, eternity except for the laughter of bloodthirsty gods" Grimmas I like your quote about knowledge & wisdom. "Knowledge is power guard it well" =][=
    Last edited by Sicarius182Uk; 04-05-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456