BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Challenges - Outside Forces

The Outside Forces rule states: "Whilst the challenge is ongoing, other models locked in combat can only allocate Wounds to the models involved in that challenge after all other enemy models that are locked in that combat (if any) have been removed as casualties, even if the models fighting in a challenge are the closest models."

So what if one of the units started the assault was only one model and is challenged (it must accept it due to Heroic Stand), do the other models of the challenger's unit get to allocate wounds on the single model that was challenged? The Outside Forces rule seems to only address "other models locked in combat." Does the "(if any)" part of the rules cover this?

So what happens in the case of challenging a unit of only one model? Do all the models in the challenging unit get to fight against the single unit while the challenge is ongoing?

Banned

The "if any" part cover this, this, I believe. That is how I interpret it, anyway. 7th Edition Challenge rules do not put the challenging Characters into a bubble of immunity. A Flying Hive Tyrant Challenging Pedro Cantor in a Sternguard Squad doesn't get to ignore the Sternguard Attacks while Pedro is alive, but the Sternguard Veterans can ignore the Tyrant while Pedro is alive.

The challenge rules state that the models involved in a challenge are considered to only be engaged with each other, so the rest of the sternguard don't get to attack and inflict any wounds to carry over. If he had a tyrant guard with him, however, after it died he would catch the overflow.
    This stops a shasui from soaking up Abbadon's attacks, or if Draigo and Jain Zar are in a challenge it makes it possible for his attendant Paladins to kill her if she has any help, rather than the fight taking forever.
    Last edited by mordecai; 02-16-2016 at 04:58 AM.

Chaplain

So Charistoph and mordecai disagree with each other. Which way is it? Please cite the rules-chain that backs up your opinion.

First-Captain

I agree with Charistoph.
    I believe Mordecai would be correct in 6th edition, not 7th.

Banned

The rule states they can only allocate Wounds after all other enemy models are removed as casualties (if any). So, either the "no more enemy models to be removed as casualties" includes the none that existed, or Mordecai is saying that they have to work to be eliminated in order to be allocated, and only if they were there to be eliminated can they be transferred.

Chaplain

or Mordecai is saying that they have to work to be eliminated in order to be allocated, and only if they were there to be eliminated can they be transferred.
    I'm thinking that is the way the rule actually reads. It is silent about there not being any other models from the start.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
    I'm thinking that is the way the rule actually reads. It is silent about there not being any other models from the start.
    That is what the (if any) portion is referring to, though, from what I read. You have to wipe out the rest of the unit, if any, before any Wounds can be allocated to a dueling character.