BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    the multipart characters aren't always ideal. the space marine captain has always been very expensive and also a pretty boring model to be honest. the single pose characters look far and away better, much more dynamic. as the plastic ranges get ever bigger, you can make more and more characters yourself anyway.
    The Captain's $30... that's the same price as the guys who have no options or anything. Sure, the pose could be better, but it's not terrible.

The problem with single-pose really pops up once you have multiples, like Ork Meks or Painboys, stuff like that. Having to convert a bunch of models is much less ideal than having options, because a lot of people frankly aren't good at it, and don't want to risk messing up a model. Sure, some of us can go nuts (like when I decided to just make all my Ogre characters from a box of standard Ogres), but I think the majority of players aren't really keen on whipping out the knife, saw, files, and green stuff.

Named characters? No problem. No need for options and stuff.

Characters that have options or multiples? They should have the ability to swap out stuff. If they don't want to do that, then they need to be willing to spend more on creating more models and producing the molds. Sure, that'd probably cost them more, but do they really want to make the laughable claim of "the best miniatures in the world" while someone's army looks horribly generic with supposedly different characters who look the same? (I guess if you're an executive who literally forgot they're game pieces and thinks a person would only want one to put on a shelf, that's not a problem.) Back ye olden days, the models were often monopose, sure, but you still had multiple Librarians, Techmarines, Chaplains, etc. to choose from, so it wasn't that big of a problem. Somehow, the company grows and gets better at everything and thus has to charge more for its products, but it actually has less ability to produce stuff? Eh?

That's to say nothing of units... Still unhappy with how the Stormfiends turned out. (And if you think of suggesting "just modify them," I'd first tell you to go drop the equivalent of $200 on them and try to figure out how to modify them without very significant reworking of the model.) Thankfully that's a pretty rare occurrence (and more of a problem with the models are covered in detail with "dynamic" poses, not as much with something like Tactical Marines).

To be fair, most of the time, you do only need one Librarian, or Chaplain, or Captain. Although with Space Marine Captains there are almost enough unique clampack models now to fill out a Chapter's worth...
    I can see why it is a much bigger issue with more minor characters, like meks and painboyz and Commissars (not Lord Commissars) which are purchased more as unit upgrades than army centrepieces.
    The situation is also better for snowflake Space Marine Chapters. Blood Angels for example, could have a two unique plastic Terminator Librarians as they could use the standard Space Marine one. Unsurprisingly, armies without (spikeless) power armour are neglected again in terms of choice...
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

I dont really get it why they stopped giving choices (well I get why, it is cheaper for them and we suck it up anyways).

Just compare the empire wizard which comes with a lot of stuff (2 wizards which can be of any of the 5 schools) and the Eldar Autarch which comes with... well 9 parts that builds exactly a single configuration (that basically nobody uses). The difference are 3 €.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this (of if it has alredy been posted), but it looks like the old broodlord model is getting the boot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broodlord.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	342.9 KB 
ID:	17588  

Chaplain

Well drat. Was hoping the datasheets would be to make your own Deathwatch units rather than just being rules to use the guys in the game.

Although all will be forgiven if rules to use that Frag Cannon with other Marine armies. I need a Devastator squad full of those things in my life.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Well drat. Was hoping the datasheets would be to make your own Deathwatch units rather than just being rules to use the guys in the game.

Although all will be forgiven if rules to use that Frag Cannon with other Marine armies. I need a Devastator squad full of those things in my life.
    Those datasheets are specifically for the models from the board game, not a Deathwatch Codex

Quote Originally Posted by Andersp90 View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this (of if it has alredy been posted), but it looks like the old broodlord model is getting the boot:
    The Broodlord from Deathstorm is the only unique character model from the Stormclaw and Deathstorm sets that hasn't been release on its own so far. The BA Captain, Krom, and Grukk have all been released on their own. The Broodlord is likely getting slapped in a clampack finally, and might get released around the same time as this game to capitalize on people being interesting in buying more Genestealers.

But which allies should I take them with? GSCs are obvious, but who should I take to support the Deathwatch? Cadian Arty would plug a lot of gaps, as would Marines or Mechanicus. A Knight or 2, maybe? IDEKWTB.

Quote Originally Posted by Andersp90 View Post
    It is now sold out in the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Thomas View Post
    But which allies should I take them with? GSCs are obvious, but who should I take to support the Deathwatch? Cadian Arty would plug a lot of gaps, as would Marines or Mechanicus. A Knight or 2, maybe? IDEKWTB.
    Surely an Inquisitorial detachment with an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor and his henchpeople, alongside a Militarum Tempestus detachment? Then you would have an Ordo Xenos Inquisitorial task-force with attached Deathwatch and Inquisitorial Stormtrooper assets...
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    Surely an Inquisitorial detachment with an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor and his henchpeople, alongside a Militarum Tempestus detachment? Then you would have an Ordo Xenos Inquisitorial task-force with attached Deathwatch and Inquisitorial Stormtrooper assets...
    When he mentioned "plugging gaps" and 1 or 2 knights it should have been clear that a fluffy force was not the goal here.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast