BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    So it's all monpose then, interesting. Perhaps they will release multiparts for these two factions later on, if so that will be very interesting to see (especially if they add more units)
    To make an actual faction (even just as allies) with either, they'd need multi-part kits with options. Otherwise, appeal is going to be pretty low.

DW are easy, just do a sprue and pack it with existing stuff. And a clampack sprue. Boom, done.

GC would be a little tougher. Characters are all monopose without any real options nowadays anyway, so they can make new sprues with those and package them in clampacks. It's the hybrids that'd be the bigger issue, but theoretically having the base design already in the computer would mean they'd just need to come up with more weapons and maybe alternate types of units, then design those, reposition some stuff, design sprues with the bits chopped up as needed. Certainly not impossible, but I imagine it'll take a bit of money to do all of that. (If they're trying to gauge interest for a 40K faction off of a board game, though, that'd be a bit... silly.)

Chapter-Master

I hope they'll give the Genestealer cult a vehicle of some kind, something more ramshackle and to the point (not a limo lol)
    I also wonder i the monopose characters will be the same as the ones in this set or alternate poses. At the least id guess 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th gen hybrids would form two seperate kits, perhaps the abherants would be another kit - possibly the most likely to be a duel kit too id say.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Characters are all monopose without any real options nowadays anyway
    They've always been monopose generally, with a few exceptions which are still available I believe, they're just making new ones out of plastic rather than resin or metal.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    They've always been monopose generally, with a few exceptions which are still available I believe, they're just making new ones out of plastic rather than resin or metal.
    Well, there was a time when, say, Space Marine characters didn't have at least one arm attached, so you could glue on the arm and the weapon you want. (That's going back to 2nd edition days, but lasted a while.) But then you have kits like the Space Marine Commander and Chaos Lord, and things like the Empire and High Elf Wizards, or Orc Boss kit, where you could make two characters using a heck of an array of options. Funny thing is, those were all cheaper than the new clampacks without options.

The ability is there, they've shown it, but it's just cheaper to do monopose without options, so we get something cheaper for them to produce that somehow costs us more money... and there are people who are okay with that. Meh.

(Side note for the Ork Big Mek in Mega-Armour, which is a bit of an odd one, since he's an option in a unit kit. Similarly, there's the Imperial Guard leaders who come in Command Squads.)

But since monopose without options is generally "the" thing now (even when it doesn't make sense with all the options available to a character), it does mean it'd be easy for them to just take the GC characters from this box, make a new sprue with just one character, and slap that in a clampack. (Alternately, if it's cheaper and the characters have relatively equal demand, they could probably do a single mold with multiple sprues attached, kind of like how some Space Marine squad sprues can be separated and still work as independent sprues.)

Chapter-Master

Characters are where I have to draw the limit for myself. Personally I can't justify a monopose character being worth any more than £8 pushing it myself. I generally like the ones they've made for the most part though I wish they were more affordable for me.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Well, there was a time when, say, Space Marine characters didn't have at least one arm attached, so you could glue on the arm and the weapon you want. (That's going back to 2nd edition days, but lasted a while.) But then you have kits like the Space Marine Commander and Chaos Lord, and things like the Empire and High Elf Wizards, or Orc Boss kit, where you could make two characters using a heck of an array of options. Funny thing is, those were all cheaper than the new clampacks without options.

The ability is there, they've shown it, but it's just cheaper to do monopose without options, so we get something cheaper for them to produce that somehow costs us more money... and there are people who are okay with that. Meh.

(Side note for the Ork Big Mek in Mega-Armour, which is a bit of an odd one, since he's an option in a unit kit. Similarly, there's the Imperial Guard leaders who come in Command Squads.)

But since monopose without options is generally "the" thing now (even when it doesn't make sense with all the options available to a character), it does mean it'd be easy for them to just take the GC characters from this box, make a new sprue with just one character, and slap that in a clampack. (Alternately, if it's cheaper and the characters have relatively equal demand, they could probably do a single mold with multiple sprues attached, kind of like how some Space Marine squad sprues can be separated and still work as independent sprues.)

Ah it's a price issue carry on. I don't think a couple of Marines with a detachable arm trumps what is currently available for marines (and neither does the plastic arms on old imperial guard bodies). I don't think they've ever done a multiposed named character (unless you count Ghazghkull's arms moving a fraction)

Chaplain

Usually named characters don't have much options, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    Usually named characters don't have much options, do they?
    I'm referring to general guys, like the Genestealer Cult guys should be.

For Deathwatch, I'd still prefer they just make a couple of upgrade sprues and sell one separate and package the other with basic Marines to make DW squads and characters.

Brother-Captain

Got ya

It is as you mentioned a board game set usually we get monopose in them and most starters (BaC being a delicious exception). We did get multipose versions of the basic troops in the AoS starter so it might happen.

A Deathwatch Sprue to be used with other SM sets would be great.

Ah it's a price issue carry on. I don't think a couple of Marines with a detachable arm trumps what is currently available for marines (and neither does the plastic arms on old imperial guard bodies).
    "A couple?" That was practically every Marine character. Had to be, so you could choose whether to do a bolt pistol, plasma pistol, hand flamer, power sword, chain sword, power axe, or some weak weapons that Marines should never touch (but happened to be on the same sprue).

Now, yeah, Marines get the really nice Commander kit for that type of character... which is what every army should have for its leader characters. (Preferably more than that, really.) You've got computers to work with now, it's much easier now to set up a different position for an arm (or arm swap even) and include multiple weapons. Heck, they did something like that with Grimm Burloksson. Check it:

[url]https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99070205004_GrimmBurlokssonSprue.jpg[/url]

See? You have two options for each arm. You can go even further with that. It just takes a little more time to set up than monopose with no options, but these days it's all about cutting corners (even at the expense of quality) and charging more at the same time. Crazy thing is, Burlok's a pretty recent release, just $21, with options, so why would anyone be okay with $30 for someone with no options?

- - - Updated - - -

Got ya

It is as you mentioned a board game set usually we get monopose in them and most starters (BaC being a delicious exception). We did get multipose versions of the basic troops in the AoS starter so it might happen.

A Deathwatch Sprue to be used with other SM sets would be great.
    For the game, monopose is totally fine. They're just for board games. Ditto for special characters. It's mainly just a "wish list" thing for GC characters, but that'd still depend on what options they might have in a hypothetical (for now) codex/supplement.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast