BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    "A couple?" That was practically every Marine character. Had to be, so you could choose whether to do a bolt pistol, plasma pistol, hand flamer, power sword, chain sword, power axe, or some weak weapons that Marines should never touch (but happened to be on the same sprue).

Now, yeah, Marines get the really nice Commander kit for that type of character... which is what every army should have for its leader characters. (Preferably more than that, really.) You've got computers to work with now, it's much easier now to set up a different position for an arm (or arm swap even) and include multiple weapons. Heck, they did something like that with Grimm Burloksson. Check it:

[url]https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99070205004_GrimmBurlokssonSprue.jpg[/url]

See? You have two options for each arm. You can go even further with that. It just takes a little more time to set up than monopose with no options, but these days it's all about cutting corners (even at the expense of quality) and charging more at the same time. Crazy thing is, Burlok's a pretty recent release, just $21, with options, so why would anyone be okay with $30 for someone with no options?
    Space marines have so many sets with so many options. I think they're ok. Don't forget there is already a Deathwatch bits pack (metal though).

Soooo Burlok's a recent release, they do options then. I'm messing with you a bit. I think your issue is the price not really the option which are largely irrelevant for named characters. Also if the models a plastic converting them is pretty darn easy especially with all the spare parts on sprites these days.

The other weapon on the close combat Sprue was the worlds widest auto pistol and yes no space marine would have used it.
    Last edited by grimmas; 02-25-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

The monopose IG Commissar model released with the AM codex has options- he can be equipped with either a plasma pistol or a bolt pistol which come with the set. Also cost less than most of the other clampack characters. I gave mine a bolt pistol- the super cheap relic bolt pistol for Commissars is actually decent too so I usually run him with that.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    The monopose IG Commissar model released with the AM codex has options- he can be equipped with either a plasma pistol or a bolt pistol which come with the set. Also cost less than most of the other clampack characters. I gave mine a bolt pistol- the super cheap relic bolt pistol for Commissars is actually decent too so I usually run him with that.
    Yeah, so that's another example that they *can* do it. As a Commissar Lord, it's not bad, because you only need one in an army usually. More than one, and it could be a problem.

Side note, that models' pose is wonderful for putting his boot on a barrel, giving him long hair and some dashing facial hair, and an old-timey hat, to convert your very own Rogue Trader Captain by the name of Morgan.

Side note, that models' pose is wonderful for putting his boot on a barrel, giving him long hair and some dashing facial hair, and an old-timey hat, to convert your very own Rogue Trader Captain by the name of Morgan.
    Oooh.... I like this idea... Damn, don't give me more potential/half finished hobby projects to start! XD
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    Oooh.... I like this idea... Damn, don't give me more potential/half finished hobby projects to start! XD
    Sadly, it's one of my own half-finished projects... Got started painting him, I need to finish. Then paint his bodyguard Bullgryn, and start painted some of the other models in his crew.

If the Deathwatch rules for the Marines work as individuals, I might have them join the crew at times, too. Already got an Inquisitor or two, so thematically it'd make sense.

First-Captain

Mono-pose models look better and are more enjoyable to paint. Kits with multiple options are more difficult and have to be more static, I'd rather paint a great looking Captain and not have weapon options than have a boring one with the weapons I can choose.

Also, again, Erik fails to understand either economies of scale or layout of plastic moulding frames. The "clampack" Characters are on sprues less than a quarter of the size of the few multipart character kits they've released. That means they cost roughly a quarter of the price to produce the frames for. So GW can release 4 Characters or one Multipart set to make one character with options. Which of these choices is actually going to sell enough units to make its costs back? Yeah.

The Skitarii are pretty stuck in their poses, the odd Special weapon swap and a head tilt for some, but otherwise they're all set it place. Because that's the only financially justifiable way to do a unit like that.

Would he rather they just stuck to only selling the multi-part kits that they know will sell well? There is a reason GW are considered the industry leader with plastic moulding, they've invested massively in it to the point where right now, they're much better at it than anyone else in the world, but of course Erik knows more than them.
    Last edited by Path Walker; 02-25-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Sadly, it's one of my own half-finished projects... Got started painting him, I need to finish. Then paint his bodyguard Bullgryn, and start painted some of the other models in his crew.

If the Deathwatch rules for the Marines work as individuals, I might have them join the crew at times, too. Already got an Inquisitor or two, so thematically it'd make sense.
    Hmm, I'm so bad at getting my models painted, I consider a project 'completed' if the actual unit is assembled... XD Half painted is great!
    Last edited by Haighus; 02-25-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Chapter-Master

the multipart characters aren't always ideal. the space marine captain has always been very expensive and also a pretty boring model to be honest. the single pose characters look far and away better, much more dynamic. as the plastic ranges get ever bigger, you can make more and more characters yourself anyway.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

First-Captain

The Wizard Kit, in my opinion the best of the Character boxed sets, makes 2 Wizards but they're pretty much identical apart from having different heads/staff tops, they're pretty boring once you've done one. Decent kit to bash into Inquisitorial henchmen though.

Plus, the Deathwatch really don't look like single pose kits.

Compare to the Marines in Dark Vengeance.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast