BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Firing from chimeras

ok so the rule says "5 models fire from the top hatch", but then it says "in reality several are firing from the fixed lasgun emplacements along each flank, but for simplicity assume shooting is from the hatch on top"

so my question is if i have a command squad with 2 flamers and a heavy flamer in the chimera do they shoot 5 lasguns?? or can i put the flamer templates starting from the edge of the hatch on top, which would have to cross part of the tank???

You can fire whatever 5 weapons you want from a Chimera's top hatch. As for flamers ...

Technically flamer templates cannot be fired from any fire point that would require the template to cover the transport. But technically flamer templates cannot be fired from any vehicle weapon that would require the template to cover the firing vehicle, either. Everybody I know or have ever heard of permits flamer templates to cover the firing vehicle and the transporting vehicle without consequence, though.

Everything Nabterayal wrote above is accurate.

I'm basically just pitching in to say that, though my group is also aware that shooting flamers from firing ports is almost always technically illegal (since it almost always requires the template to be placed over the vehicle's model to some degree) I've never seen anyone actually try to adhere to this rule except in jest.

Veteran-Sergeant

ok thanks guys, im sure in regular play nobody would object but im planning on this list for ard' boyz so ill find points to make them plasma's lol

Chapter-Master

Any 5 weapons can fire.

Take a look at the Chimera's profile, it no longer has lasguns on it anymore, actually. So there are no lasgun emplacements on it, so even if you wanted to fire the emplacements, you would need to play the old IG codex to do so.

If you are playing wysiwyg, cut those lasguns off lol.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

that rule doesn't imply to vehicles or firing form vehicles because technical its the model fireing it.

IF people were really going to try and force something like that then Immoloators and twin linked razorbacks would never be able to fire their weapons as the templates would be touching themselves.

Veteran-Sergeant

uh-huh-huh

he said, "touching themselves"

huhhuhuhu

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    You can fire whatever 5 weapons you want from a Chimera's top hatch. As for flamers ...

Technically flamer templates cannot be fired from any fire point that would require the template to cover the transport. But technically flamer templates cannot be fired from any vehicle weapon that would require the template to cover the firing vehicle, either. Everybody I know or have ever heard of permits flamer templates to cover the firing vehicle and the transporting vehicle without consequence, though.
    UH...

read the rules again--- Technically, every time you fire a flamer, you hit your own guy firing the flamer in the first place.

Now, no one makes the poor b@st@rd roll to wound either.

Easiest way around this is to not count the model that is firing the flamer in the hits. The tank is firing the flamer from a firepoint, therefore the tank is not hit by the template. As long as you do not touch any other friendly model, you can fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    UH...

read the rules again--- Technically, every time you fire a flamer, you hit your own guy firing the flamer in the first place.
    Not true. Templates must be placed so that "its narrow end is touching the base of the model firing it," but only those models models "partially or fully under the template are hit." In the simple case of a model on a circular base firing a template weapon, the firer is touching the template but not under it, and therefore is not hit by his own fire.