BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Declining Challenge Quesiton

Had a situation come up in a game recently where My Rune Priest challenged the Chaplain leading a group of SM Honor Guard. The cowardly priest refused my challenge and the axe wielding HG killed my lonely priest. However, thanks to Warp Speed, he managed 4 axe wounds on his way out. My opponent then attempted to take these wounds on his Chaplain (only model with an invuln). Other models were also in btb with my rune priest.

Upon reading the rules on refusing a challenge, we found them to be quite vague in that the cowardly refuser 's "leadership may not be used" and that he may "strike no blows, as he is putting all his effort into staying clear of the vengeful enemy".

First of all, after a berating of my opponent for being the biggest puss of a fearless chaplain ever, we could not come to a consensus of if he could make the saves or not. It clearly says he is staying clear of the vengeful enemy, but much like the "drop pod doors blow off" it seems to be written in a fluffy manner as opposed to a rules manner.

Thoughts?

I would have thought the Honour Guard Chapter champion should have been forced to accept the challenge anyway? Seeing as you challenge a unit not an individual character in the unit, and Chapter champions have an 'Accept all challenges' type rule? That was my understanding of the challenge rules anyway.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I would have thought the Honour Guard Chapter champion should have been forced to accept the challenge anyway? Seeing as you challenge a unit not an individual character in the unit, and Chapter champions have an 'Accept all challenges' type rule? That was my understanding of the challenge rules anyway.
    Champion was dead, maybe? But yeah, the Champion otherwise would have accepted automatically even before it could be refused. If the Challenge was refused the Challenger would then decide who "go sits in the back".

But if the Chaplain was in B2B with one of the Attacking models, he could still tank them for the length of the Wound Pool or his Wounds. Nothing in the Denying the Challenge rules stops this or changes the Character's position in the Combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Champion was dead, maybe? But yeah, the Champion otherwise would have accepted automatically even before it could be refused. If the Challenge was refused the Challenger would then decide who "go sits in the back".

But if the Chaplain was in B2B with one of the Attacking models, he could still tank them for the length of the Wound Pool or his Wounds. Nothing in the Denying the Challenge rules stops this or changes the Character's position in the Combat.
    Yep if the chaplain remains in BtB it can tank the wounds.

Worth to notice Space wolves DO NOT own company or honour guards units with honor or death rules (the equivalent is just the wolf guard unit)

Quote Originally Posted by Perversor View Post
    Worth to notice Space wolves DO NOT own company or honour guards units with honor or death rules (the equivalent is just the wolf guard unit)
    True. The Space Wolf player was issuing the challenge with his Wolf Priest against a unit of Honour Guard with a Chaplain attached.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

correct the HG champion was already dead. he died to a TWC champion the round before
    seems like a pretty silly description of the person that refuses a challenge if they are doing everything to stay clear by tanking the wounds LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    correct the HG champion was already dead. he died to a TWC champion the round before
    seems like a pretty silly description of the person that refuses a challenge if they are doing everything to stay clear by tanking the wounds LOL.
    I guess in the Chaplain's cowardice he was struck in the back by the vengeful Rune priest...