BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Tau codex/supplement question

One of my sons plays Tau (the other three play Tyranids, Orks, and Imperial Guard, respectively). My Tau-playing son has the older version of the Codex, not the one that has the XV-95 and the Stormsurge in it. Are these two included in the Mont'Ka book (which as I understand it also includes some scenarios and whatnot involving the Imperial Guard)? Or do I need to buy just the new Codex, or must I purchase Kauyon in order to get the rules for the XV-95?

It's kind of an issue, because I want to get him an XV-95, but don't know which of the codex or the supplements to get to go with it.

Thank you for your help.

Chapter-Master

Kauyon has the rules for the new Tau stuff. Mont'Ka has the rules for the farsight enclaves and guard formations, and assassins. you can either buy the new version of the codex, or Kauyon, which gives you white scars and raven guard rules as well.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Veteran-Sergeant

There is also a White Dwarf with all the rules for the XV-95
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_volmer View Post
    There is also a White Dwarf with all the rules for the XV-95
    Yep! Issue 89, which you can buy as an ebook from either Black Library or the iBooks store. It also comes with the "Godbreaker Clash" minigame, which portrays a Pacific Rim style battle between a Stormsurge and an Imperial Knight.

The Stormsurge's rules are in issue 88, while the Fire Warrior Breachers are in issue 90 (along with a Metal Gear Solid style stealth mission for the XV95) and the new flyer variant of the Commander XV8 is in issue 91.

Kauyon and the 7th edition codex change very few of the rules from the sixth edition codex, which is the one that has the same imposing "XV8 towering over and blasting something beside you" illustration as the current one. If your son has an earlier version, you'll want to get a new codex either way.

Most of what got added in 7th besides the new units are formations, like a Decurion-style one that lets you combine buffs and firepower from different units. Kauyon also has stats for the new Tidewall fortification line, and different formations you can take them in; the new Codex doesn't. White Dwarf 92 has just the fortifications' stats.

Mont'ka has a handful of new Tau / Farsight formations, and a Farsight-only decurion, as well as rules for playing a Farsight force that are much more forgiving than the earlier FSE book. I think you can also get those rules in the revised Farsight Enclaves codex supplement that's coming out this Saturday.
    Last edited by Jewelfox; 02-25-2016 at 04:23 AM.

Brother-Captain

I broke down and bought both...
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Let me see if I can sum up all of this information:

the new Tau codex has new formations and the new units (including the breacher squads).
    Kauyon has the new units and the new fortifications rules, but none of the formations (it has some of its own formations, plus Space Marine formations?)
    Mont'Ka has Farsight Enclaves rules and formations (Imperial Guard stuff?)
    The rules for just the XV-95 can be found in a specific White Dwarf mag, as can the rules for the Stormsurge (in a separate issue)

He would benefit most from the purchase of the codex, but if all i want is to just get the Ghostkeel rules I can get those in a mag when I buy the model.

If I have this all correct, thank you very much for your help! If not, please correct me until I understand. It's okay to treat me like I'm five, I'm working a full-time job, doing military training on weekends, active in my church, married with six kids, and trying to play WH40k. Sometimes I forget a few things.

Chapter-Master

I think Kauyon has the tau formations, but other than that correct I think. Kauyon has everything you need to add the new stuff to the old version of the codex, but buying the updated codex is cheaper than buying Kauyon, and then you have everything in one book, rather than two (old codex and kauyon). buying white dwarf issues is cheaper, but you then have multiple issues and a book to carry around.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.