Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK 320
    80 Land Speeder
    2 Multi-Meltas
    80 Land Speeder
    2 Multi-Meltas
    160 Baal Predator
    Tank, Hv Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor

Here is a suggestion-- if you are going all drop army, and taking Mephiston- take a stormraven- this will deliver Mephiston. Also, Assault squads set up the way you have them, for a lack of a better word, suck. The Advantage of the Furious Charge is to have power weapons hacking apart marines and their equivalents.

HQ 250
    250 Mephiston
    Lord of Death

ELITES 235
    135 Furioso
    Dread, Blood Talons, Hv Flamer
    100 Sanguinary Priesthood
    2 Priests

TROOPS 810
    145 Assault Squad
    5 Marines, 2 Hand Flamers, Power Weapon
    Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod with Locator Beacon
    145 Assault Squad
    260 Assault Squad
    10 Marines, 2 Meltaguns, Powerfist, Infernus Pistol
    260 Assault Squad

FAST ATTACK 145
    145 Baal Predator
    Tank, Hv Bolter Sponsons

Hv SUPPORT 410
    245 Stormraven
    Twin-Linked Multi-Melta, Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Extra Armor, Hurricane Patter Bolters
    165 Mortis Dreadnought
    Dread, 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons

Now this list is completely in reserves:
    5 Drop Pods-- this allows three to come in on turn 1: Probably the Mortis and two others. The Mortis is your transport buster, it can hang back safely! The two other drop pods will be situational. All the pods have locator beacons, so you can safely deep strike the Stormraven! In the Stormraven is Mephiston and the Furioso- this is a great way to deliver both of them- pretty much WILL get to charge and not get shot the turn you arrive. The Stormraven will probably get shot to all hell, oh well- as long as Mephiston and the Furioso are delivered, the stormraven did its job!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    As for your list:

How do you plan on using Mephiston?

He doesn't get to deep strike (cannot activate Psychic Powers from off the board)-- do you just have him walk on from a board edge?
    can he not come down in a drop pod with the one assault unit wiht out a priest

Veteran-Sergeant

Also

Your points are all wonk.

You only made it to 1768
    HQ 250
    250 Mephiston
    Lord of Death

ELITES 470
    160 Furioso
    Dread, Blood Talons
    160 Furioso
    Dread, Blood Talons
    150 Sanguinary Priesthood
    3 Priests

TROOPS 728
    182 Assault Squad
    9 Marines, Meltagun
    182 Assault Squad
    9 Marines, Meltagun
    182 Assault Squad
    9 Marines, Meltagun
    182 Assault Squad
    9 Marines, Meltagun

FAST ATTACK 320
    80 Land Speeder
    2 Multi-Meltas
    80 Land Speeder
    2 Multi-Meltas
    160 Baal Predator
    Tank, Hv Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armor

Here is a suggestion-- if you are going all drop army, and taking Mephiston- take a stormraven- this will deliver Mephiston. Also, Assault squads set up the way you have them, for a lack of a better word, suck. The Advantage of the Furious Charge is to have power weapons hacking apart marines and their equivalents.

HQ 250
    250 Mephiston
    Lord of Death

ELITES 235
    135 Furioso
    Dread, Blood Talons, Hv Flamer
    100 Sanguinary Priesthood
    2 Priests

TROOPS 810
    145 Assault Squad
    145 Assault Squad
    260 Assault Squad
    260 Assault Squad

FAST ATTACK 145
    145 Baal Predator
    Tank, Hv Bolter Sponsons

Hv SUPPORT 410
    245 Stormraven
    Twin-Linked Multi-Melta, Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Extra Armor, Hurricane Patter Bolters
    165 Mortis Dreadnought
    Dread, 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons

Now this list is completely in reserves:
    5 Drop Pods-- this allows three to come in on turn 1: Probably the Mortis and two others. The Mortis is your transport buster, it can hang back safely! The two other drop pods will be situational. All the pods have locator beacons, so you can safely deep strike the Stormraven! In the Stormraven is Mephiston and the Furioso- this is a great way to deliver both of them- pretty much WILL get to charge and not get shot the turn you arrive. The Stormraven will probably get shot to all hell, oh well- as long as Mephiston and the Furioso are delivered, the stormraven did its job!
    i am sorry i have not had time with the codex but if you can lead me in the right path i would ty

Veteran-Sergeant

how do you actually set up assault marine units

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
    how do you actually set up assault marine units
    Read page 81 of the blood angels codex.

maybe I am confused by your statement...

Warhammer is playing with different styles and ideas. Obviously, your list has the idea of having a deep striking army. Lighting Assault-- direct from the ship in orbit.

Go with that idea! All I did with your list is flush it out-- I didn't want to take away the theme you had--- so I tried to stick with as many drop pods as possible. However, I knew you wanted Mephiston in there too. Mephiston's rules dictate that he cannot join squads, so he cannot ride in a drop pod with other units. So, in keeping with your theme, I flushed out the army, and threw in the stormraven so Mephiston now fits the theme--- all deep striking from an orbiting cruiser.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 04-18-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Read page 81 of the blood angels codex.
    i did and how i was doing is not wrong like how do they suck that way i am not arguing i just want you to explain so i can do it better

Chapter-Master

ah!

Okay-- let's compare two squads:

182 Assault Squad
    9 Marines, Meltagun

Your setup is a close combat squad with an anti-tank weapon. Lots of men. However, if the transport comes around, there is not so much of a chance that the transport is busted, allowing your unit to charge the opponent.

260 Assault Squad

This squad is, once again, a close combat squad-- but well equipped for anti-transport duty-- with three melta weapons, there is a high chance of a successful destruction of a transport- allowing your guys to then assault the guys that are bailing out. However, if you fail at the destruction of the transport, there is the backup powerfist, giving yourself more chances of destroying such a transport. There are also more tactical options for the squad--- at 10 Marines, the squad can use 'Combat Squads' after disembarking. With 3 meltas, the squad could split into 2 squads and fire meltas at two targets, instead of one.

Does the second squad cost a lot more- yes. However, the second squad will be more successful at its duties.

Now there's also the Locator Beacon on the Pod-- this is mostly for ensuring that the Stormraven lands nearby without scattering, safely bringing Mephiston into the middle of the action. Mephiston's one weakness is being able to reach an opponent before being annihilated-- by throwing the locator beacons on all the pods, there is redundancy in safe approach for the stormraven, just like having 2 more meltas in the assault squad adds redundancy to it's anti-tank role.

Most successful armies in 40k not only have cool themes, like yours, but also have a cohesion built within the army-- Mephiston doesn't work by himself, he works with the Dreadnought backing him up. The 10 Man Assault Squad busts the tanks, and the 5 man assault squad, with the priest, backs up the 10 man squad with anti-horde duty. The list I created has your army split into a series of pairs that compliment each other.

You can also look at point breakdown. the 5 man assault squad plus the 10 man assault squad is only 40 points more per group- for 40 points, you have a much much more effective duo than if you used 2 squads from your list.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 04-18-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

ah!

Okay-- let's compare two squads:

182 Assault Squad
    9 Marines, Meltagun

Your setup is a close combat squad with an anti-tank weapon. Lots of men. However, if the transport comes around, there is not so much of a chance that the transport is busted, allowing your unit to charge the opponent.

260 Assault Squad

This squad is, once again, a close combat squad-- but well equipped for anti-transport duty-- with three melta weapons, there is a high chance of a successful destruction of a transport- allowing your guys to then assault the guys that are bailing out. However, if you fail at the destruction of the transport, there is the backup powerfist, giving yourself more chances of destroying such a transport. There are also more tactical options for the squad--- at 10 Marines, the squad can use 'Combat Squads' after disembarking. With 3 meltas, the squad could split into 2 squads and fire meltas at two targets, instead of one.

Does the second squad cost a lot more- yes. However, the second squad will be more successful at its duties.

Now there's also the Locator Beacon on the Pod-- this is mostly for ensuring that the Stormraven lands nearby without scattering, safely bringing Mephiston into the middle of the action. Mephiston's one weakness is being able to reach an opponent before being annihilated-- by throwing the locator beacons on all the pods, there is redundancy in safe approach for the stormraven, just like having 2 more meltas in the assault squad adds redundancy to it's anti-tank role.

Most successful armies in 40k not only have cool themes, like yours, but also have a cohesion built within the army-- Mephiston doesn't work by himself, he works with the Dreadnought backing him up. The 10 Man Assault Squad busts the tanks, and the 5 man assault squad, with the priest, backs up the 10 man squad with anti-horde duty. The list I created has your army split into a series of pairs that compliment each other.

You can also look at point breakdown. the 5 man assault squad plus the 10 man assault squad is only 40 points more per group- for 40 points, you have a much much more effective duo than if you used 2 squads from your list.
    i see what your saying i am sorry for my stupidity

where does the priest fit in?

do you have a IM like live or yahoo you use?

Veteran-Sergeant

i really like that list you wrote it is balanced and it honestly makes more since
    it is not as expensive either

Chapter-Master

What you are experiencing is NOT stupidity.

Experience takes a long time to build in 40k--hell it takes a long time to build in just about ANYTHING. I have been playing this silly silly silly game for ~17 years.
    It takes a lot of game playing to see when and where to use a unit--- it helps to have lots of different units to experiment with different strategies. However, I have always been on a limited budget, so it has taken many years to collect the force I have.

The two priests attach to the two 5 man assault squads- they can fit in those two pods.

I used to taylor my lists to my opponent-- then I realized that I wasn't really learning how the army truly works-- I was relying on super tricks, and not what the battlefield can do for me. I switched to a different tactic:
    The list is balanced- when I decide to make a list, I try to do two thing, initially. 1) Make a theme, 2) take one fun snazzy unit. More than one, and they become a major points dump.

The snazzy unit-- they are just cool! plus they have the advantage of drawing attention to themselves, due to being Snazzy!
    With those two things combined, I then flush out the army with a force that tries to compliment everything...

A lot of the army designs that are on the GW pages are really good starts for an army. Collecting a 'Battleforce' box is a great way to get a flexible force. From there, you work on a theme that you like, and switch in and out the different snazzy units in each build. Eventually, you want to try a new theme, and go through the whole process again.

Which, eventually, builds up a large collection of toy soldiers!!

Bang Bang! ::Whollop:: ::crash::

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast