BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    What you are experiencing is NOT stupidity.

Experience takes a long time to build in 40k--hell it takes a long time to build in just about ANYTHING. I have been playing this silly silly silly game for ~17 years.
    It takes a lot of game playing to see when and where to use a unit--- it helps to have lots of different units to experiment with different strategies. However, I have always been on a limited budget, so it has taken many years to collect the force I have.

The two priests attach to the two 5 man assault squads- they can fit in those two pods.

I used to taylor my lists to my opponent-- then I realized that I wasn't really learning how the army truly works-- I was relying on super tricks, and not what the battlefield can do for me. I switched to a different tactic:
    The list is balanced- when I decide to make a list, I try to do two thing, initially. 1) Make a theme, 2) take one fun snazzy unit. More than one, and they become a major points dump.

The snazzy unit-- they are just cool! plus they have the advantage of drawing attention to themselves, due to being Snazzy!
    With those two things combined, I then flush out the army with a force that tries to compliment everything...

A lot of the army designs that are on the GW pages are really good starts for an army. Collecting a 'Battleforce' box is a great way to get a flexible force. From there, you work on a theme that you like, and switch in and out the different snazzy units in each build. Eventually, you want to try a new theme, and go through the whole process again.

Which, eventually, builds up a large collection of toy soldiers!!

Bang Bang! ::Whollop:: ::crash::
    ty for not bashing me for not being great at this what armies do you have and i have necrons so i dont have variety xp two or three units and that is what i am usually trying to get to work together

Chapter-Master

Ah, Necrons. I really hope the next codex coming out is Necrons--- they have so few units! It would be nice to see some variety!

I have two collections: Tyranids and Blood Angels (space marine stands ins). My Blood Angels are called Sanguine Descendants, and by hive fleet is called Arrakis. Not that these really mean anything (other than me!). I started with these two armies, because the first warhammer game I played was Space Hulk back in the early 90s-- Blood Angels vs Genestealers. Little did I know, I was sucked in--- but I had been sucked in for years, almost all of my favorite board games I played as a kid were GW games! (I wish GW produced more side games--- they really make some of the best games--- hero quest, battle masters, tailsman, necromunda, battlefleet gothic... ect.)

I do have every single current codex, except for Dark Eldar---- Don't ask me questions about dark eldar--- My only answer is: Dark Lance Spam.

If you are thinking about starting a new army (especially since you are interested in variety) I HIGHLY recommend Blood Angels. Their army list supports almost any style: Deep Strike, armored task force, flying, shooting, assault. Probably one of the most flexible forces in the entire game system (always have been, since 2nd edition). I started with bugs, and grew to like space marines. Plus, I love the fluff for the Blood Angels. If Blood Angels aren't your thing, then just good ole Codex Space Marines is just as good.

Almost no other army in the game can give you the variety of tactics and flexibility that space marines do. Purchasing a little bit of everything can really reward a player on many levels:

They are a forgiving army for beginners.
    They are tactically flexible- therefore great for veterans.
    They are easy to build
    They are easy to paint
    and my personal favorite: They are easy to convert-- ranging from simple kit bashing, to all the way up to cutting/splicing and sculpting.
    Oh yeah, they also are the Heros of the Imperium, saviors of Mankind.

And They Shall Know No Fear--- possibly the one phrase that caught my mind...

Veteran-Sergeant

ya i have like 3000+pts of necrons but they are just not the best in 5th and blood angels i wanted to do when the pdf came out but money was tight that is the one thing gw does to you is either make money tight or just make money tighter lol but i mean we buy it so... so how is the new codex for the bugs and that stupid doom think i am sure you have see nthis but watch this video [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I97qAyRq_F0[/url]

Chapter-Master

your video got blocked by the Tubes!

I do love the new bug codex- there are some unfortunate problems with confusion in the rules, but overall, I think they designed a fun codex-- feels like the way the bugs played in Second Edition--- which was awesome!

Veteran-Sergeant

o wow just got blocked i watched it before i posted it too it was Hitler from Valkyrie playing eldar and how the tyranid doom thing screwed his troops over and it

Chapter-Master

oh yeah, I have seen that... rolled on the floor laughing.

Veteran-Sergeant

becuz it is funny seeing hitler play eldar and nids raping him the pdf is funny and the part about doom being left out of adepticom

Chapter-Master

yeah, and doom really isn't as powerful as people say it is--- especially to guard- Guard players are all worried about Doom's spirit leech, when, of all the armies, they have the firepower that can roast Doom in one shooting phase, with minimal casualties!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    yeah, and doom really isn't as powerful as people say it is--- especially to guard- Guard players are all worried about Doom's spirit leech, when, of all the armies, they have the firepower that can roast Doom in one shooting phase, with minimal casualties!
    Well he is big and scary but that is how alot of units are treated when they are new. If they dont think they can handle it they yell broken so ya

Veteran-Sergeant

new list hope it is good so drop pods are not good to me becuz the marines have to sit there a full turn and get assaulted or shot

librarian-epistolary,infernus pistol,jump pack, blood lance, might of heroes=190

assault marines(10) 2 meltaguns, infernus pistol=225

baal predator flamestorm, heavy flamer=140

predator with twin lascannon= 115

*the predator has no sponsons. the librarian is to buff his unit
    the thing i feel iffy about is the 3 baal predators that scout i feel three maybe to many and i am not sure about the predator with no sponsons

if you can help me make this list better plz do so !!!
    Last edited by B-rock; 04-21-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast