BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What about (FW) options? I know the Ork Mega Dread. I know it can have several power claws. It has hull points. Has some options to go faster. Might be able to stand up to some armor. If it can survive getting across the field.

Looted Firestorm Redoubts, Vengeance Batteries, or Aquila Strongpoints can do it, especially since most of those can take Magos Mechanicum, er, "Grot Gunnas," e.g. can get BS 3, or drop Blast Templates. The Quad Icarus Lascannon ain't too shabby, nor is the Battle Cannon, if you have the points. Kannon Waggons and Rokkit Buggies are great at the job too, just have to get the optimum numbers.

Brother-Captain

If the opposition has Knights or super heavies how about a Stompa?
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by malikjack View Post
    What about (FW) options? I know the Ork Mega Dread. I know it can have several power claws. It has hull points. Has some options to go faster. Might be able to stand up to some armor. If it can survive getting across the field.
    You get a Big Trakk with Supa Kannon (STR 9 AP3 large blast ordinance) for some long range fire power, I don't think it's particularly cost effective (never used it myself), but large high strength blasts are always useful.

Librarian

15x Lootas in a Big Squiggoth. The Squiggoth can hide in terrain and the Howda (where the lootas are) is open-topped. A 6 wound Monstrous Creature in cover, can save the lootas for a round or two while they pump out shots.

Edit: Ork Kannons are 36" range missile launchers that have the bonus of being Toughness 7 to shooting. their cheaper then the last book and you can take more per squad now i think.

Zzap Gunz are an upgrade you can toss on the Kannons, it makes them into a random strength (2d6, with bad effects if you roll an 11 or 12) Lascannon. Ap2 and 48" range

You could try and pray with a Weirdboy in a squad of Tank bustas for the deep-strike power.

Power Klaws, Power Klaws, and more Power Klaws...

There is also the prospect of kamikaze ramming of Trukkz and or Battlewagons.

If you're looking at Forgeworld, there is also the Lifta Droppa, while it is nerfed from it's IA:8 book version, it's still an anti-tank weapon.

Deffkoptas with rockets.... you will need lots of the flying buggers.

Warbuggies with Rockets, they're twinlinked and the buggy is fast.

Blitza-Bomber, he can die from an unsuccessful dive-bomb attempt though.

Komandos can sneak around and can get a Nob with a Power Klaw (I love the model that GW has for it)

Killa Kans with Rockets, their Grot Pilots so they have BS: 3.

Morkanought as the kustom mega blasta thingy, it's Str:8 AP:2

Battlewagons can come with KillKannon (Str:7 AP:4 Blast) and a Kannon along with 4 Rockets. Expensive, but it's a lot of dakka in one wagon.

Forgeworld has a Supa-Kannon upgrade for Battlewagons that gives it a Basilisk gun(Str:9 AP:3 I think), but it's direct fire only (no barrage).

Mega-Armoured Nobz in a Trukk racing towards their target. Just have like a squad of 3 in a Trukk and throw that thing at your opponent (not literally).

Stompa... Stompa Stomps things...That's pretty much it. Put a few or more Meks inside it to keep it repaired and it has a chance to survive.

One of the tricks you need to approach any game with is MSU style units Multiple Small Units, all to often "Death-Stars" will guarantee the kill on whatever they touch (shooting or melee) So give your opponent options and make her or him choose which target he doesn't want near him. Always take multiples. No one unit in the entire Ork faction (forgeworld included) can run around willy-nilly on the tabletop like Space Wolves or Eldar. You have to play attrition to win. Don't think in terms of large units like 30 strong Boyz mobz, but like 3 units of 10 boyz mobz. I like to think it's like the mentality of 5th ed. A Melta can kill a Land Raider with one shot, but it'll only kill 1 Ork Boy with the same shot. With the changes to the game and formations/allies/Mutli-CAD. You can have lots of units flooding the board, so things like Tau and Eldar are forced to rely on templates rather then just straight shooting. Yes, it's a lot of models; Yes, it's a lot of dead orks, but that's just how the faction seems to play (to me at least)in the current 40k era that we're in.

TLDR?
    MSU and flood the board; Whatever unit you take, take it in multiples.
    Last edited by Mr.Pickelz; 03-04-2016 at 09:14 AM.

Chaplain

But Mr. Pickelz - doesn't the Orky "Mob Rule" really screw ya over when you use small ten-man units?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    But Mr. Pickelz - doesn't the Orky "Mob Rule" really screw ya over when you use small ten-man units?
    It would if anyone was left alive to take a Mob Rule test, but a 10-boy squad is just gonna evaporate against whatever targets them. In one sense, it's actually a decent way around the mess that is Mob Rule... can't get hurt by it if they just killed the unit instead.

Chaplain

Well, that's a darned good point.

Librarian

it may seem counter intuitive, but think smaller with Orks, not larger.
    Last edited by Mr.Pickelz; 03-04-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickelz View Post
    it may seem counter intuitive, but think smaller with Orks, not larger.
    It seems super counter intuitive, and I'm gonna have to try it out next time I bring my boyz out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast