BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Assorted AoS Observances

Just some random thoughts I've had while looking through books and considering "builds" with AoS, feel free to add your own.

Apparently units can have multiple standard bearers and/or musicians. You can't double up effects, but you can have built-in redundancy, which is nice for units with serious benefits like Skeletons. Only one leader (singular, whereas others are plural), though.

Plague Priests aren't Wizards, which means they can't act as Nurgle Wizards. But Grey Seers and Warlock Engineers *are* Chaos Wizards, so you can summon Daemons into a Skaven army. You could get a small bit of synergy between Nurgle Daemons and Pestilens Skaven, but not enough to be serious concern. Still, a Warlock Engineer summoning a Bloodthirster to do his bidding is kind of amusing.

Despite it being basically a Greater Daemon of the Horned Rat (and I think it even has the Daemon keyword), you can't summon a Verminlord. Either it arrives with you, or it's not showing up to fight today.

Speaking of summoning, you can't summon a Mortarch any more. Sure, only Nagash could do it before, but it was amusing to pile on your opponent by building up some summoning points and then dropping Mannfred on top of him, too. Okay, so maybe that explains why you can't do it any more...

Undead used to be the army that crumbled, now they're the one least likely to crumble. Battleshock of 10 for pretty much everything means you won't lose many of them to Battleshock tests. Add in the ability for standard bearers to bring back dead units, and they get more resilient. Use the battalion with a Wight King and he helps bring guys back, too. Toss in a Wight King with standard, and plant it in the middle of your army, and suddenly you have Skeletons and Grave Guard with a 6+ unmodified save on top of their armor save, so they're a bit more resilient, don't run easily, and you can just keep bringing them back. That's before you even get into using spells to add more.

Random thought: Battleshock could be shortened to its words' initials, but I don't think people want to spend their whole game taking "BS tests."

The "joke rules" weren't a short-term thing. There's still some in the Grand Alliance tomes. When I play my Nurgle Daemons (probably mixed with Skaven), I'll have to giddily "shout" the number seven at times. I think just doing it a little louder than normal voice will suffice. (Also, I'm now picturing a scene from How I Met Your Mother where Robin's being told to be "happier" and "more wry" about saying a number.)

I'm going to have to discuss with some opponents that one warscroll =/= one warscroll in some cases. For example, a Skaven weapon team is one warscroll itself, but it's only one model. If you want multiples, that's multiple scrolls, and if you want a unit and weapon team, which used to be just one unit, that's two warscrolls. A block of 25 Stormvermin and a Ratling Gun isn't exactly equal to two blocks of 30 Plaguebearers.

Speaking of Ratling Guns, why would you ever not go for the extra shots? You could get 4D6 shots with it, just with the chance you might roll a 1 and hurt the team, which might not even kill them... and if they survive, you still get 2D6 shots (since it never says they don't fire). Given that I'm used to seeing Skaven war machines go nuts, I'm quite okay with taking that chance every turn. (Once you see enough Skaven - or Orks, especially in 40K 2nd edition - blow themselves up, you learn to just laugh at it and stop worrying about it.) Pretty much ditto for any other Skaven weapon.

Yeah, that's a lot of random thoughts, but I felt like doing a "thought dump." Maybe some of those thoughts are actually useful to other people!

I noticed the standard and musician thing right away. My best guess is that this was to allow you to remove whichever model you want, but still keep your standard (representing more likely the way that another model in the unit will pick it up).

Some people at my local club suggested I was being THAT GUY, but it has always been the case in WFB that the standard is one of the last to fall and no one that I recall actually had any better suggestions as to why the rules explicitly allow you more than one standard (while at the same time only giving you the benefit once).

Brother-Captain

All fair points.

I rather like like the multiple banner thing for big units you can use it to represent a horde of troops fighting togeather rather that it being just one regiment of troops.

It is strange that Verminlords can't be summoned they are definitely daemons. narratively ice never been comfortable with Greater daemons being summonable all the time, the summoning of a great daemon is supposed to be a rare and difficult tasks which needs a great deal of preparation, mass sacrifices, daemonic pacts and the like. I like to see it only I specific scenarios but Skavsne should be able to do it as well.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I feel the banner/musician thing is probably so people can buy a box of infantry, assemble them with a full command, and still use multiple boxes they assembled that way in one big unit. Might seem a bit odd, but we're no longer dealing with standard regiments. (Okay, the musicians thing is a bit stranger, but hey, maybe these warbands that are "units" have their own traveling band that helps their morale?)

The Verminlord thing was just peculiar given that they're summoning them in the same way Chaos is summoning GDs, albeit with even less control over them. It *does* seem a bit odd to be able to summon them right onto a battlefield, though. Ka'bandha being summoned required them to sacrifice Kairos Fateweaver, another Greater Daemon. That's some serious effort, not just, "Hey, dude, could you, like, maybe come help us fight? That'd be swell. Thanks!"

Veteran-Sergeant

You could summon the Verminlords with "The Great Bray Shaman (Beastmen)" - Special rule brings a monster on from the sides of the board without even having the model on the table (keywords required: Monster)...

That's possible, but it'd require bringing along Beastmen, which feels a bit weird. I never got the hint Skaven and Beastmen got along. I think to explain that one from a narrative point, it'd have to be something like they're threatening the Shaman and promising him as a sacrifice or something to get the Verminlord to come along and help. That might actually work, though.

Battle-Brother

I played in a tournament last month and an opponent split up a units shooting between two targets. Couldn't find anything in the rules to not allow it. You can do it in hand to hand

So far, I'm yet to see many '8th Ed scale' battles. Instead, it's much closer to what would once have been 1,000 - 1,500 point games.

Which is nice. I've not had any issues with playing bigger games, but it's pleasing to see people aren't put off my a perceived 'minimum size' of game.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Conversely, I haven't seen any that weren't at least the same size as "8th edition scale." Heck, some people have taken it as an excuse to run even larger battles. It's like being told they can bring all their toys means they want to bring all their toys to every game.

Heck, if I did that, there wouldn't be room on the table to put my opponent's army...

The new Path to Glory didn't help, with its emphasis on getting multiple full sized units out of the gate and just adding more and more units rather than a few guys here and there, which would work a lot better for an escalation style campaign. That's a bit of concern to me, given that the local GW is doing a PtG style campaign (or league?) with modified rules for all factions. The concept sounds like fun, but it could quickly price itself out of the reach of the newer people it might bring in. Hopefully they'll take that into account. I'm wondering how it'll work out, because I could probably play it with Death units without having to buy anything. (I have a LOT of Undead.)

I've ranged from 50 to 250 wound armies. I currently am amassing around 500 wounds.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast