BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default The Besterest Kids Films Evar.

How do?

As you may recall, I'm now a Godfather (pinstriped fairy costume remains in the concept phase only). And because of this, and having a decent sized flat, I know that in a few years I may be having her over for babysitting duties.

Of course, this means I need to rethink my film collection. Much as I'm rarely one for social convention, somehow I don't think my extensive SciFi and Horror collection is really going to cut the mustard.

So here I come, cap in hand looking for recommendations on what cool films a sprog might enjoy. Already in my collection I have Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, which as far as I'm concerned are totes compulsory childhood viewing. Oh, and Star Wars. Much much Star Wars.

Anything is up for consideration, even if it's typically 'girly' and will reduce my adult Brian to jelly with a single, let alone repeated watching.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Charlottes Web (I like both versions)
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Shrek

All of them.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Brother-Captain

My 7 year old daughter just watched Goldfinger and Thunderball. Buck the system.

Brother-Captain

The first Land Before Time is very good, but very sad.

Ditto for The Last Unicorn.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

Labyrinth, dark crystal, never ending story, the land before time (mother****ing treestars!)(don't bother with the sequels beyond the first one), finding nemo, finding nemo, finding nemo, batteries not included.

Erm, I'm sure theres more.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

just get everything Disney and Pixar
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Pixar and Disney? Also get some Studio Ghibli in there. Spirited Away would be a good one, a scary but fun adventure for a kid, with a decent English dub, and the main character is a girl. Inside Out would also be a good recommendation, and the Toy Story films. Ooh, and...yeah, pretty much anything Pixar. Even Cars/Planes are simply mediocre.

Just avoid Grave of the Fireflies if you get some Ghibli, if the name didn't tip you off. It's an excellently-told story and beautifully animated, but it is also a soul-crushing spiral into despair and thus probably not what you'd wanna show of seven year old godchild. Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro are other classics. The Miyazaki ones are the best to look out for.

Hook is a good movie as well, especially if you watch Peter Pan first. Nightmare Before Christmas, ET, How To Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, (Gene Wilder, though the Johnny Depp remake is alright.)

Can you tell I've been planning a collection myself for my niece and nephew? :P

Anything by Aardman, so Wallace and Gromit or Chicken Run, they're fun movies.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Banned

My Neighbour Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

The Cat Returns

Muppet Treasure Island (any of the later Muppet movies really)

Mr Bean's Holiday

^ good for all ages

Laputa, Castle in the Sky

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Spirited Away

Whisper of the Heart

Wolf Children

The Princess Bride

Castle of Cagliostro

Willow

^ older ickles

Some good serieses for ickler ickle ones include Miniscule (5 minute eps with no dialogue and cute bugs), Looney Tunes (the newer Looney Tunes Show is very good), Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse (glorious absurdism), Mr Bean

For older ickles Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, K-On! - both series and the movie of course - (Girls being friends! Girls having adventures! Girls having fun!), Azumanga Diaoh (as K-On, but with more weirdness), Nichijou (lots of weirdness, but with friendship between girls as the main theme), Squid Girl (so many puns)

And be prepared that the kid will probably not like a good chunk of "classic" kids movies and will definitely love "bad" films a whole lot.

I'm usually OK with bad films.

As long as it's not the Garbage Pail Kids Movie.....that scarred me, that did.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast