BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Nope. Can't stand those sodding voices.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

lols we literally wore the videos out. You can still see the 'rents cringe if they hear the themetune.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chaplain

Or worse the coo coo cola song.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    Batman the Animated Series - Quite simply one of the greatest cartoon series ever made and the starting point for the DC Animated Universe that was to run through several other shows (Superman, Static Shock, Batman Beyond) and culminate in the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited series.
    https://youtu.be/lEx9r5enZsk
    How did I forget Batman: TAS!? It's pretty dark material at times, but it treats the IP with probably the highest respect outside of the comics until the Arkham games came around.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Veteran-Sergeant

Coming to this thread late, I won't waste time by repeating all of the great suggestions that have already been made - with one exception: my two girls (3 and 5 years-old) both love Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service but Ponyo's a favourite as well.

Re. Disney, Frozen is an obvious choice as it nicely steers away from/ subverts the all-a-girl-needs-to-do-is-dream-and-get-a-prince crap but Tangled does the same as well, and both are very good films.

You might also want to get some episodic stuff, for when you want to watch something with your goddaughter but want to be able to stop easily without them complaining - it's easier to say 'oh look, it's finished,let's do something else' with a Peppa Pig collection or whatever, as you're regularly coming to the end of episodes. Pixar DVDs are quite good for this too as they often have short films on them - e.g. Wall-E has two.

My two love collections of classic Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry etc - the very little ones love the colours and the pictures, when they're older they love the slapstick and when they're older still, the slapstick and the dialogue/ jokes as well. If you go for classic cartoons, be careful with what editions you go for, as some episodes are very much of their time and have

For more modern collections, Peppa Pig, Ben and Holly, and Sarah and Duck are all pretty good and also interesting for grown-ups. And yes, My Little Pony too. If you get some Peppa, you'll find that Brian Blessed was born to play a banjo-playing, cheese-obsessed, lighthouse-keeper rabbit. Or see what they like from CBeebies and then look at what's available on iplayer or dvd. It would be wrong of me to recommend that you might look on youtube where people have posted whole DVDs' worth of kids TV, obviously.

Four very important things:

1) CBeebies programmes on Iplayer are your friend. This cannot be stated enough. It's like a free childminder.

2) They've done a new Danger Mouse. All the episodes are on CBBC Iplayer and it's great. It'll probably be on DVD soon, if it's not already.

3) Be prepared to fast-forward through the ubiquitous adverts for merchandise etc. Otherwise the first thing you will hear after the film is endless pleading to buy toy range X and to go to theme park Y.

4) Barbie DVDs exist. They are pure evil.

Ahhh...on point 3)

As God Father, it's part of my responsibilities to make sure she has cool toys and ace parties....

Oh god. I'm going to need a toy box for my flat, aren't I?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Oh god. I'm going to need a toy box for my flat, aren't I?
    Yep. You will also need to hide all wargames figures that you don't want to be 'played with' AKA destroyed. Or that you don't want to have a serious makeover.

I give you, My Little Dalek:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pimp My Dalek.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	17698

Veteran-Sergeant

Another good one is Brave; my daughter prefers it to Frozen.

I've seen Brave, and it's rather good.

As for keeping models away from tiny peeps - gaming room is entirely off limits to the tiddly.

Brother-Captain

Brave was good but think how great it could have been if the characters were Welsh rather than Scotish
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast