BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Dark Mechanic

Default Space Marine Flag Raising Diorama WIP Log

I've had that wonderful Limited Edition Space Marine diorama model inspired by the US Marine Corps Iwo Jima flag raising for years and recently decided to finally assemble and paint it as part of a diorama contest at my local GW store. The only requirement of the contest is that some part of the Honoured Imperium set must be used and it must be no larger than 11"X11"X11". The broken aquila model from Honoured Imperium seemed like the perfect piece to use as both part of the diorama and its base. The Space Marine Flag Raising model will form the centerpiece of the diorama sitting nicely in the middle of the broken aquila.

The pictures below show the Space Marine Flag Raising model in various stages of assembly and at different angles. The Dark Angel is sitting on pins without glue. It will be glued in place later to facilitate ease of painting.

The photos shown here are hosted in my Dakkadakka Gallery if you want to see more photos and the full sized originals of what is shown here. I will post final pictures of the diorama after it is fully painted. The contest ends on May 2, 2010. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 04-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Brother-Captain

I don't know. I've kind of got mixed feelings on that whole thing.
    I kind of like it, and I kind of don't. It feels like its 'missing' something. Something that shows the battle that was fought to raise the flag, some sort of quick visual history. Perhaps a few marines encircling the flag, beating back a few foe? Or a few dead marine bodies lying around? ... still ponding this one...
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    I don't know. I've kind of got mixed feelings on that whole thing.
    I kind of like it, and I kind of don't. It feels like its 'missing' something. Something that shows the battle that was fought to raise the flag, some sort of quick visual history. Perhaps a few marines encircling the flag, beating back a few foe? Or a few dead marine bodies lying around? ... still ponding this one...
    What I got from this is it looks like nothing was done to pave the way for the flag raising because there's no action in the shot. This being the case, and it being based off of the flag raising on Mt Suribachi, I'm a little offended. Is the iconic image of the Marines (and one Corpsman) raising our flag on that mountain top worth nothing because it doesn't depict violence? Rubbish!

@ Brass Scorpion: I believe the something thats amiss is a Corpsman equivalent. Throw in an Apothecary and you're all set.
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Why not an ironic chaos one? Topple one of the statues and have a big *** icon being planted in the guy's skull.
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
    What I got from this is it looks like nothing was done to pave the way for the flag raising because there's no action in the shot. This being the case, and it being based off of the flag raising on Mt Suribachi, I'm a little offended. Is the iconic image of the Marines (and one Corpsman) raising our flag on that mountain top worth nothing because it doesn't depict violence? Rubbish!

@ Brass Scorpion: I believe the something thats amiss is a Corpsman equivalent. Throw in an Apothecary and you're all set.
    I think you misunderstand me sir.

I think the reasons I don't like the SM flag raising is for the reasons you sited. The historical occurance is almost sacred. I don't think GW should be touching that territory, I don't thing SM stand for what was fought for in WWII.

For me to like the model more I would want to see it more 'space marine' show some action, or something. I want it more removed from the Mt Suribachi flag raising.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    I think you misunderstand me sir.

I think the reasons I don't like the SM flag raising is for the reasons you sited. The historical occurance is almost sacred. I don't think GW should be touching that territory, I don't thing SM stand for what was fought for in WWII.

For me to like the model more I would want to see it more 'space marine' show some action, or something. I want it more removed from the Mt Suribachi flag raising.
    Indeed. I see your point even as a Brit.
    If you are to re-enact that sort of historic moment, do it justice or at least make something new based on it. Could you use multiple types of Imperial trooper - a SoB, SM, and Guardsman - holding it up, or go classic and JUST have IG holding it?
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Surely a space marine would be able to haul a flag up by himself, being superhuman and all that?

Veteran-Sergeant

I agree with Lord Azaghul. Some sense of whom they were fighting would give narrative to the battle.

I would paint each space marine different. The idea of three different chapters having to come together to raise one flag would also strengthen the severity of the battle. (By the looks of the models, they look like a Dark Angel, Ultramarine, and another one)
    Last edited by Lunar Camel; 04-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.

The third marine is a blood angel.

I think it needs a few dead chaos parts littered across the ground to spice it up a bit.

The Dark Mechanic

Something that shows the battle that was fought to raise the flag
    My plan is to add something along those lines after the main piece shown here is finished and assuming there's still time for that before the deadline. Such additions will be minimal, however, because the flag raising is the main subject and it would be an aesthetic mistake to take away visual focus from that. As for what I'm adding, I can't let the competition know everything ahead of time now can I?

Regarding the metal model, it's a rare collectible and my intention here is to simply show it off in a good light by hopefully giving it a nice paint job, so I won't be making any modifications to it.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 04-21-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast