BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm sorry, but, poor taste sirs, poor taste. I find this, honestly, worse than the DKoK with full **** regalia or the NKVD Valhallans that are out there.

It would be mildly less offensive if it was Guardsmen, after all, they're not super humans, they're just ordinary men under extraordinary circumstances, but it'd still be in piss poor taste overall.

Veteran-Sergeant

Poor taste? Worse than death korps (I suppose they are mostly based on the French)? I'm surprised you can play the game at since it is full of cultural references done badly. (For what it's worth, it's based on the lid of the ancient citadel [URL="http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2156paint-m.htm"]space marines paints set[/URL] (also containing marines of different chapters), based on the iwo jima photo).

Back to the original topic. I'm not sure the just putting the model on the base will work. The line doesn't seem quite right - the aquila is flat then the rubble and skulls seem kind of stuck on. You (say) broke the aquila in half then laid it over a hill shape (as if it has fallen and shattered across the crest), then you could blend in the rubble on the model with the crack in the middle.

+++CENSORED BY THE INQUISITION+++ As pointed out earlier the entire warhammer world is filled with real life reference, how do you think soviet survivors feels when the see the "heroic" valhallans, throwing away thousands of lives? It's a game. end of story. Damn americans

+++CENSORED BY THE INQUISITION+++ but seriously, that could be an awesome diorama, My suggestion is that you move it back a bit, because it feels strange that the pile of mud is standing ontop of the aquila, A better place for the flag is if you put it right behind the head on the dirtpatch, raise it up a bit so it's higher than the aquila, that will give the illusion that they are fighting on the top of a hill, if you have marines running down the hills to engage the enemy you can make it seem like the heroic last stand or last push. I think the picture on page 10 in the rulebook if you want a winning scene or the picture on page 18 if you want a desperate battle can be good reference.

Having several typical units, like Ultramarines honour guard, dark angels in their robes and the new uberpimp blood angel units stand along side each other fighting of a foe that seems identical and endless could be really cool, due to the flag i'd suggest chaos. most other bad guys just seem not to care about a flag.
    Last edited by Bigred; 04-22-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: politics, nuff said...

Quote Originally Posted by faolan View Post
    I'm sorry, but, poor taste sirs, poor taste. I find this, honestly, worse than the DKoK with full **** regalia or the NKVD Valhallans that are out there.
    The Death Korps of Kreig are actually referencing German stormtroopers from World War 1. gas masks, huge wheeled artillery pieces, spiked helmets, cavalry, huge trench systems - not the third reich.

It would be mildly less offensive if it was Guardsmen, after all, they're not super humans, they're just ordinary men under extraordinary circumstances, but it'd still be in piss poor taste overall.
    It's a toy diorama of tiny spacemen raising a flag in a historically referential way. I don't think GW is equating their imaginary space soldiers with the efforts and sacrifices of anyreal soldiers, be they American marines, German stormtroopers from WW1, or the Soviet army. Are you offended by video games that are set during World War 2 as well? what about games set in modern day? how about those set in the future that don't accurately represent the future sacrifices of future soldiers?

Back on topic, I agree that some sense of context for the scene would be good, though because the image is so heavily laden with a historical context, it might not be necessary. We already know a battle was fought to raise this flag because of the real battle that was fought to raise the real flag.

I do like the idea of having the eagle broken over a mound of rubble, it would make more sense with the mound the flag I sticking out of.

as a side note, I'm glad to see someone held onto this really old and (in my opinion) really cool diorama from the olde days of the hobby. Good on you, and good luck in the competition.
    Last edited by Phairsto; 04-22-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Fellend View Post
    +++CENSORED BY THE INQUISITION+++ As pointed out earlier the entire warhammer world is filled with real life reference, how do you think soviet survivors feels when the see the "heroic" valhallans, throwing away thousands of lives? It's a game. end of story. Damn americans

+++CENSORED BY THE INQUISITION+++ .
    You are an idiot.

No one was insulting any nationality or raving about cultural superiotity. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Bigred; 04-22-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: politics, nuff said
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    You are an idiot.

No one was insulting any nationality or raving about cultural superiotity. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
    I thought politics was banned on here anyways?

\Competency can be argued.
    \\Not getting into it.

Love the model! You need to figure a way to blend the flags metal base into the aquila. Right now it kind of looks stuck there.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

This thread has taken a wild turn... I gotta say, if Brass Scorpion's model triggers the same amount of debate in his FLGS he should win regardless of the paint job... best of luck!

The Dark Mechanic

Default Near Complete: Space Marine Flag Raising Diorama

The centerpiece of the diorama is now painted as well as the base. Backpacks for the three Space Marines still need to be painted and glued on and a fallen enemy model or two added to the base. After that, a final review and touch-up as needed and the diorama is complete. Here are views from both sides of the nearly complete diorama.

See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

The Dark Mechanic

Default Completed Diorama, fully built and painted

Here are views from three different angles of the finished diorama with all parts in place and fully painted. The Space Marines, which GW sculpted respectively as an Ultramarine, a Blood Angel and a Dark Angel have been painted in traditional colors for those chapters. The dead Ork off to the side was added to imply that there had recently been a raging battle which damaged the Imperial terrain that forms the base of the diorama and that the Space Marines are raising the flag as a symbol of their victorious efforts to recapture the territory. Larger versions of these images are available in my Dakkadakka Gallery.

A front view of the completed diorama.

A view from the reverse side.

A top down view.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Veteran-Sergeant

Looking good. I think the Ork adds just the right amount of narrative by implying recent events without creating a battle scene. Let us know how you do in the competition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast