BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perhaps obvious question, or already covered...

The Ghostkeel has the stealth drones which double the benefits of stealth and shrouded USRs, so it gets a 2+ cover save in the open as long as one stealth drone is still alive. However, it only gets this benefit against enemies more than 12" away. So a barrage template, even if it does NOT have the Ignores Cover USR, would obviate that rule and reduce the Ghostkeel to using either a 4+ cover save, or its innate 3+ armor save, right?

I ask because I got my 3rd son a Ghostkeel for his birthday and we're putting it together while talking about the weapons and rules and how best he can fit it into his army. He knows he needs to keep it at maximum range from the enemy, ANY enemy, and jump-jet away after shooting. But you can't jump jet away from barrage weapons!

Chaplain

The way I read the rule, the cover save bonus is doubled against "attacks made at a range of greater than 12"." As long as the model firing the barrage is over 12" away from the Ghostkeel, you'd get the bonus effects of the stealth drones.

With indirect fire cover is calculated from the hole in the template

P160 BRB "to determine whether a unit is allowed a cover save always assume the shot is coming from the centre of the blast marker"

So yes you are correct it doesn't get double if it lands on its head

From a tactics point of view I'd go for the drones with barrage to clip it down & make it easier to kill with ranged fire, also any sort of presicion fire I'd allocate to them as they don't get double.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeChisler View Post
    With indirect fire cover is calculated from the hole in the template

P160 BRB "to determine whether a unit is allowed a cover save always assume the shot is coming from the centre of the blast marker"

So yes you are correct it doesn't get double if it lands on its head
    I don't see how the last sentence follows from the one that precedes it. The bit you quoted says that the shot is assumed to come from the centre of the blast marker when determining WHETHER the unit gets a cover save. In this case, that makes no difference: the unit still gets a cover save. Now the question is what cover save it gets (whether it gets the bonus). Here, I don't know exactly what the Ghostkeel rules say, but from what the OP says it sounds to me like you'd get the bonus so long as the firing unit is more than 12" away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    I don't see how the last sentence follows from the one that precedes it. The bit you quoted says that the shot is assumed to come from the centre of the blast marker when determining WHETHER the unit gets a cover save. In this case, that makes no difference: the unit still gets a cover save. Now the question is what cover save it gets (whether it gets the bonus). Here, I don't know exactly what the Ghostkeel rules say, but from what the OP says it sounds to me like you'd get the bonus so long as the firing unit is more than 12" away.
    Is the The Ghost Keel taking a cover save from a Barrage weapon
    If Yes
    Calculate the cover save allowed from the blast drop point as per page 160 in the BRB

Ghost keel Rule says
    The Cover save from Stealth & Shrouded is doubled for this model against attacks made at range of greater than 12" (max 2+).

It Doesn't invalidate Barrage in any way as the attack comes from the center of the blast which is why you take saves/casualties from that point.

For completeness the exact wording is
    "To determine whether a unit wounded by a Barrage weapon is allowed a cover save, and when determining Wound allocation, always assume the shot is coming from the centre of the blast marker, instead of from the firing model"
    Last edited by SnakeChisler; 03-08-2016 at 06:11 AM.

Again, the sentence you quote does not say that you measure range from the centre of the blast marker. You're taking one part of the sentence ("assume the shot is coming from the centre of the blast marker") out of context. It only says that you do this to determine WHETHER the target gets a cover save (and for wound allocation, though that's not relevant here). The point of that is that the target being on the other side of a wall from the firing unit doesn't matter, if they're hit by a shell that explodes behind them. That's not the case here.

Banned

Again, the sentence you quote does not say that you measure range from the centre of the blast marker. You're taking one part of the sentence ("assume the shot is coming from the centre of the blast marker") out of context. It only says that you do this to determine WHETHER the target gets a cover save (and for wound allocation, though that's not relevant here). The point of that is that the target being on the other side of a wall from the firing unit doesn't matter, if they're hit by a shell that explodes behind them. That's not the case here.
    And yet, it IS for determining the Cover Save, isn't it? We're trying to determine if Stealth/Shrouded is being doubled. Same is if we're looking at the Save from intervening terrain or not.

The sentence says "To determine WHETHER a unit wounded by a Barrage weapon is ALLOWED a cover save..."

So, apply this rule, and the answer is yes: it has Shrouded and Stealth, therefore granting a cover save.

It does NOT say that you measure from the centre of the blast marker when determining the range of the attack or what the cover save is.

So, having determined that you get your cover save, if the enemy firing is over 12" away, then you get your cover save doubled.

The sentence says "To determine WHETHER a unit wounded by a Barrage weapon is ALLOWED a cover save..."

So, apply this rule, and the answer is yes: it has Shrouded and Stealth, therefore granting a cover save.

It does NOT say that you measure from the centre of the blast marker when determining the range of the attack or what the cover save is.

So, having determined that you get your cover save, if the enemy firing is over 12" away, then you get your cover save doubled.
    I think you'll find it does it explicitly tells you where the attack is coming from and the Ghost Keel rule says attacks > 12.

So your plain out wrong as firing from has nothing to do with any of this

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeChisler View Post
    I think you'll find it does it explicitly tells you where the attack is coming from
    You've quoted the whole sentence above, so I don't see why you persist in reading only part of it out of context. The first clause is important.

It says that you assume the attack is coming from the centre of the blast template FOR TWO VERY SPECIFIC PURPOSES. Not for all purposes whatsoever.

Compare the following two sentences:

1) Leave the building by the nearest exit.

2) In the event of a fire alarm, leave the building by the nearest exit.

The first sentence is telling you to leave the building, but the second isn't unless an alarm is raised. You can't simply focus on the latter part of it and ignore the former specification of context.
    Last edited by Ben_S; 03-10-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast