BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Of course they're attention seeking. When your income depends on Views, attention seeking is how you make rent. Just like every other website including BoLS.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Don't you be having a pop at Dredd it was great and actually filled the criteria for having a remake (ie the original was bobbins).

Actually my objection with some of the negativity of this, like with other things coughAoscough, is not that people don't like it. They are perfectly entitled not to like it for any reason including not liking all the Ghostbuster's being female (just as it would have been acceptable to dislike the original for it being all male). It the faux "it's ruined my childhood" crap for crying out loud if you don't like it fine but to make out its some life shattering issue is bollocks.

It's like the most middle class first world problem ever "I don't like a film and it's ruined my life" I'm not referencing the YouTube review here just the general moaning (about this and others on a similar vein)
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Not having a pop at Dredd, just pointing out a logical inconsistency

And another one springs to mind - they didn't copy it - good thing on one hand. But also very bad on the other.

Spot on with the 'ouch, right in the childhood' thing. I seriously don't mean to be flippant, but I consider childhood ruiners to be vile stuff coming out about the like of Jimmy Saville - a man who I'd previously only had good things to say about for his charity work and of course Jim'll Fix it. But making a Turtles/Transformers/He-Man/Thundercats/GI Joe/Ghostbusters/Labyrinth type remake? Nah mate.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

For modern movies I did actually like Dredd surprisingly, which might shock people :P I didn't think I would either. I really liked the villain in it especially. I hope it gets a netflix/amazon show.

I find if I watch a movie during when it is being hyped I tend to have more unrealistic expectations due to all the hype, so ill probably give ghostbusters 2016 a chance in a few years. while I dislike the cgi stuff, if the story and comedy is good theres still a chance ill enjoy it.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

[url=https://medium.com/@ashleylynch/bustin-makes-boys-feel-sad-why-ghostbusters-is-so-hated-49e3c78cebb0#.skc6r6b8y]A much better elucidation of my thoughts on the sexism of the anti-'Ghostbusters' campaign than I would ever write.[/url]

Where was this level of vitriolic campaigning against the reboots of Robocop, Predator and Total Recall? There simply weren’t any. How come this one singular mediocre trailer received an unprecedented level of anger directed towards it while the thousands of bad trailers that have been released over the years have been largely ignored? Why is it that female led films like Hunger Games, Salt and Spy can get released to the world without having a full on culture war launched upon them?

And what about those other films I mentioned? Why is it that the three most protested films of the last year happen to be Mad Max: Fury Road, Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Ghostbusters?

The picture starts to become clear, because they are all franchise films where a woman is taking the lead in a role that used to be reserved for a man. It’s literally a fear that white men are having what is rightfully theirs taken from them.

In fact we see this level of hatred directed at films in other forms too. Remember how I said Star Wars was also targeted for casting a black man as one of the leads? Similarly Josh Trank’s Fantastic 4 came under attack by people upset that Johnny Storm was now a black man. None of this is really surprising when you see there is a large overlap between The Men Who Hate Women and white supremacists groups. In fact, Breitbart blogger and Junior Trump impersonator Milo Yiannapolous recently tried to appeal to members of the Daily Stormer and recruit them as part of his alt-right army.

And as you start to pick away all the little complaints, there’s nothing still that can explain why this film of all films has sparked such vocal outrage when so many other “geek culture affronts” have passed without conflict beyond the fact that it’s a movie with women instead of men. And while they’ll jump up and down to proclaim that it’s not because they’re sexist, it’s explained with all the subtlety of someone who’s clearly hiding something while screaming, “there’s nothing in the closet!!”
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

First-Captain

well, regardless of all the bad blood going on regarding casting decisions, I Will see it.

Not because of the cast, to be honest I've only seen a couple of films with kirsten Wigg attached to them, and in this case it was her voice (How To Train Your Dragon 1 & 2).

Not because it's a rehash of an old classic.

Not because of all this media frenzy.

But because I found the trailers to acutally be interesting and are making the film look good.

I'm really wondering how the main plot-line of someone, or something has made something which is pulling all these departed souls back as ghosts..... Hell of a premise for a Dungeon & Dragons Campaign,,....

Oh, and Dredd was great, I still regret acutally going to the cinema to see that steaming pile that was Sly's Judge Dredd back in the day urgh......
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

yeah I am looking forward to seeing Ghostbusters, trailers look great to me
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Brother-Captain

There should have been hate campaigns started over the remakes of Total Recall and Robocop burn them burn them with fire (actually the Total Recall one wasn't that bad in itself it was just always going to come off inferior compared to the Original). I'm going to stir up sh*t about the Predator sequel as I've read they're making the same mistake they did in all the other sequels, no Arnie at the helm. School boy stuff.

Kirsten Wiig and Melissa McCarthy did work well together in bridesmaids. They're full capable of getting the chemistry right.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

First-Captain

See, since I haven't seen any live action film any of the 4 actresses have been in (or TV for that matter) I can go and watch the film with no pre-concived notions of how good or bad they are.

The main reason I don't really know about any films or TV they've been in, is because I often find most American humour falls flat for me, so I often don't bother watching american made comedies.

As a result, I can go watch it solely based on how I enjoyed the trailers (even though they fluffed up some details in the first trailer, 4 scientists? really?)
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    The main reason I don't really know about any films or TV they've been in, is because I often find most American humour falls flat for me, so I often don't bother watching american made comedies.
    To be fair, American movie humor has fallen more and more flat, crass, and disgusting for the last few decades, so it isn't just you. It is almost so bad that my wife and I treat any new comedy with trepidation. One of the worst lately was Daddy's Home. It was really, really bad, and we were expecting it to be bad.

This movie may actually be a couple steps above the current fare if it keeps its comedy to what is in the trailer and the level of the original movies. However, I think it will still fall flat enough that only the names will allow it to be considered for a sequel. I've loved Melissa McCarthy since I married my Gilmore Girls-binge-watching wife, but I don't think she will be enough for me to enjoy it. I honestly think we'll see the same humor and concepts that have been running in every Adam Sandler and Will Ferrel movie for the last twenty years.

But hey, I don't love Ghostbusters because of the actors (though some are fun, just not Murray, he's rarely been funny to me), I liked the story concept and the fun premise they had with it. Of course, I watched more Real Ghostbusters before I actually saw the movie, and I enjoyed Extreme Ghostbusters as well, so that could be why the original movies were not as great to me as it is for some people.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast