BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

I still dunno if I'm going to go see it. I'll give it a chance, but I'm really not too sure about it. I remember BvS having a pretty good trailer following two not-so-good ones. :S
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    [url=http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/ghostbusters/38949/ghostbusters-melissa-mccarthy-on-the-confusing-trailer]Third trailer is out[/url]

Looking so much better. And remember, the CGI effects are digital over practical, not just digital.
    Some of the CGI looks better, some looks... less inspiring than before. Weird.

The "humor" still feels like the same I'd expect from mass-produced movies with no soul. It feels like it's all the "humor" of Paul Blart: Mall Cop thrown into a Ghostbusters wrapped.

Hemsworth looks uneven as heck. Or maybe not. The only bit with him that didn't make me roll my eyes had him saying absolutely nothing and was just a bunch of visual effects spinning around him. The effects looked cool, at least, but since that's what actually looked interesting in that scene, then I suppose he's not that uneven and does just look bland and boring throughout.

So it's either LCD low-brow "humor" or being bland and uninteresting.

Then again, somehow Adam Sandler keeps making money, and I can't stand pretty much anything he does, so maybe the "average" person will actually enjoy that kind of stuff.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

New trailer looks awesome. Actually properly belly laughed a couple of times which I wasn't expecting. It's basically full-on 'Ghostbusters' (because, being honest here, I didn't want ghostbusters for Bill Murray when I was six. I watched it for the ghosts, and this has them in spades, by the looks of things. truth be told, I didn't even realise the original was meant to be a comedy until I was twenty one and read it advertised as such on the front of a VHS tape. Most (read: all) of the jokes went over my head as a kid, and by the time I grew up, I'd memorised the script, meaning there was no way I was going to find any of them funny. Especially now the humour is thirty years out of date, and mostly consists of a.) Bill Murray not giving a sh*t and b.) Venkman's super-creepy come ons to Dana Barrett that just make me feel awkward these days. Seriously, it wasn't until I rewatched it at Xmas that I realised just how creepy and grubby a kind of character Venkman is. Just unpleasant and unlikable.)

And I've only just realised how close the ghosts are in aesthetics to the official game they released for the last generation of consoles, which was the previous 'official' Ghostbusters story. There's something really very pleasing about this.

As for the negative comments, of course it's misogyny. Anyone who says otherwise is either deluded (if we're feeling generous) or disingenuous (if we're not). Sure, some people are going to hate it, but come on: men are building bots to spam the trailers with hate. No way does it look worse than literally anything Adam Sandler has ever done (with the exception of 'Airheads').

The problem is misogyny. It just is.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-18-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

"men are building bots to spam the trailers with hate"

Oh? Please post an article showing evidence of this. I'll give you time to find it again. If you can't, then you're just making up something to back your claim, and you're the one being disingenuous.

And yeah, it's pretty clear you are.

The CoD:IW thing isn't even a bot-fest, and it's over TWO MILLION dislikes. Please tell me what the misogyny there is directed at, since clearly that's the only way a video can get a lot of dislikes.

I don't hate the movie, I hate the discussions about it, because people like you - I'm going to assume you're just dishonest, not stupid - want to claim it's just "men hating women" and not that people can genuinely be pissed off that Hollywood decided to remake a movie in an inferior way that has nothing to do with gender. Even the women who dislike it are somehow misogynist according to dishonest people like you.

The movie looks like **** to a lot of people, and would if you had four guys making the same kind of "jokes." Hemsworth, a male actor, looks like **** in this movie. Gender isn't the issue. They're making a **** movie and you're defending it based on gender.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQIuTGfPHvA[/url]

I mean, yeah, that's totally just misogyny. Yep. All the negative comments in this video are just because men hate women, yep. Saying this idea isn't progressive is just misogyny. (Funny thing is, as much as YouTube kept randomly putting this video into my Recommended Videos, I didn't watch it until today, but the person doing it says a lot of the same things I've said.)

Come on, now, tell me again how that video is misogyny and just men hating women. I do want to see the explanation. I also want to see your link to the claim you made that you can't back because you made a statement that was false.

And in case you missed it, Adam Sandler isn't exactly getting much praise these days. This kind of "humor" is starting to fade.

I hate this movie not just because it's so horrible, but because you can't criticize it without people being stupid and/or dishonest - both are being VERY generous to said people - and claiming that it's all just sexism, and the movie is great #becausewomen.

I freaking love Thor (current one, with Jane Foster), A-Force, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Angela, Rey as the lead in SW:TFA, Jyn Ersa as the lead of Rogue One, Leia getting her own feature novel, I think The Girl on the Train looks interesting... I could go on and on, there are so many stories out there with female leads I like. But this movie looks horrible to me, and just because I don't like this movie, that makes me "misogynist" and "hating women."

Yeah, it's stupid and dishonest, and I'm sick of it, and I'll be sick of hearing claims that misogyny is why the movie bombed for the next few months, until it fades away, and maybe in ten years we can get a decent new Ghostbusters movie that ignores this one and acts as a continuation of the original story with a new cast (mixed gender team, preferably, or have multiple teams, one of which can be all ladies). But for the next few months, we get stupidity and dishonesty.

And a lot of the actual sexist *******s are only coming out of the woodwork to throw their weight in there because of the sexist *******s claiming anyone who dislikes the movie or criticizes it is just "misogynist." You're picking a fight you can't win here, because when the film bombs, they'll look like the ones in the right, rather than the people defending a horrible film because of gender.

I'm going to go find some way to calm down from reading something so mind-meltingly idiotic. "Bots." Ha.

And if you hadn't been a trollish ***, then I probably wouldn't be so pissed off, but ignoring reality, making claims you can't back (because they aren't true), and then trying to call others disingenuous? Just no. No. It's like reading Donald Trump comments. It's doubly offensive because it's being dishonest while trying to call others dishonest. It's not cool, it doesn't lend itself to reasonable conversation, and it's just... pointless.
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 05-18-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

[url=http://jezebel.com/the-ghostbusters-trailer-is-the-most-disliked-movie-tra-1774112142]This was the article I read that mentioned bots.[/url]
    [url=http://www.dailydot.com/geek/ghostbusters-reboot-trailer-most-disliked-youtube-history/?tw=dd]This is the article it sourced from[/url]
    [url=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghostbusters-reboot-youtube-trailer-is-889438]Here's a more Hollywood look at the downvoting phenomenon. The industry itself feels the numbers are unlikely to be just from people.[/url]
    [url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/03/04/people-are-hating-the-ghostbusters-trailer-guess-why/]Mainstream media has noticed this as well.[/url]

So, while I can't conclusively point to any evidence of bot usage, I feel the numbers themselves are too suspicious, especially when there's enough articles from sources that I deem of relative credibility - coupled with the fact that the hate for this film is utterly disproportionate for such a fundamentally inoffensive looking film - so, yeah.

It's obviously fuelled by misogyny. It just is.

It's a huge number of guys who just refuse to countenance the concept of women as main characters. I mean, yeah, it's not just them. There's the usual nostalgia nerds who always shout 'RUINED FOREVER' like that means anything any more, as well as the Schadenfreuders who've come to watch others fail, plus the 'women are NEVER funny' crowd who lack all imagination, as well as some who are probably just doing it because of the bandwagon, others who've bought into the anti-hype, and probably a few who are downvoting it just to see how far down they can get it.

And after that there's the people who 'just didn't like it'. Who I suspect are a much, much smaller crowd than the numbers suggest.

Because the numbers are just suspiciously low. There's always going to be those who claim it's about ethics in gaming journalism, or whatever the parroted line of disinformation is this time, but the naked misogyny of the comments utterly confirms that no, it's really not.

The numbers are clearly disproportionate.

See that or don't.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-18-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Chapter-Master

I don't think York is saying allof the people critical of the film are mysognystic but it appears a lot of them seemingly are, which does seem to be supported. At least thats how I've read his posts.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Basically, yeah.

The people who actually dislike the film for legitimate reasons are being drowned out by the pebbledicks. Who are far, far too many, and who quickly camouflage themselves as legit haters [url=http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/gaslighting-is-an-abuse-tactic/]because that's how gaslighting works.[/url]

Someone who legit hates the film says 'I legit hate this film because it looks bad'.

A misogynist says 'I legit hate this film because it looks bad' and leaves out 'because I hate the idea of women as Ghostbusters'. A lie of omission means they pretend not to be a misogynist, thus gaslighting everyone.

'It's not misogyny. You're just seeing what you want to see. You're the one who's really got the problem.' [url=http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/things-wish-known-gaslighting/]Making people question themselves is gaslighting 101.[/url]

• Animal predators use protective colouration to stop themselves being seen by the creatures they prey on.
    • Human predators use lying to stop the humans in charge to stop themselves being seen by the people they prey on.
    • Both serve the same purpose: to allow predators to dominate and get what they want unhindered and without challenge.

The trailer isn't being hated on the degree it is because it's bad; it's being hated on the degree it is because the misogynists have taken over the narrative. Everyone who denies this is assisting in their gaslighting, whether they mean to or not. We can't fight a problem until we can identify it.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-18-2016 at 04:22 PM.

There's an organised movement to downvote the trailer.

There are many, many sucky films you know are going to suck (see Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Jennifer Aniston*, Paul Blart Mall Cop)...and suck more than anything has ever sucked before. But they don't have an organised movement to downvote their trailers.

The same people are now all offended a Sony high-up has responded 'Eff 'em' (fruity language moderated by moi). Which I think is an entirely appropriate response to those who decided at first rumblings of a remake it was somehow going to give their childhood Canceraids. In fact, it kind of reminds me of this classic scene, and Frank'n'Furter's response to Janet's assertion she doesn't like a man with too many muscles.

I do feel for those who have seen the trailers, and had the same 'not for me' reaction I've had to BvS and Suicide Squad, because thanks to a tidal wave of whining man-children, you're all being tarred with the same brush. It's akin to criticism of Obama's presidency being seen as racist - because so much of it is indeed very, very racist indeed.

But that's life, I'm afraid. Remember this film has been hooted, howled and hollered against since an all-female cast was announced. People are now inventing reasons to dislike the trailer to pretend it's not a sexist thing. Take the CGI. Many are whining 'but practical effects are bettererer', whilst neatly refusing to acknowledge that under the CGI are practical effects tarted up in post-production.

Oh, and Leslie Jones? I'm now reliably informed that Pattie is just sort of her comedy style. Think of that what you may, but at least it's her choosing to portray 'Angry Black Woman #356465328' rather than someone being forced outside their style. Leslie Jones playing Leslie Jones, just as Will Smith always plays Will Smith, Dan Aykroyd always plays Dan Aykroyd, and Bill Murray always plays Bill Murray.

*Might just be me, but I can't stand her. Never seen the fuss or why she's held in such high esteem.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 05-19-2016 at 01:31 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I'm done arguing. I can find Trump supporters, Sanders supporters, or 9/11 Truthers, if I want to deal with this level of intellectual discourse and honest reasoning. But I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I'm done arguing. I can find Trump supporters, Sanders supporters, or 9/11 Truthers, if I want to deal with this level of intellectual discourse and honest reasoning. But I don't.
    Lol, talk about pot calling the kettle black.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast