BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

If you like Ghostbusters, and you aren't threatened by women, you should enjoy this film. It is Ghostbusters, it feels like Ghostbusters, its not a soulless remake or reboot, its genuine, new, ghostbusters. It's funny, its clever, its well acted and it's fun. It's not a cinematic masterpiece, but neither were the originals.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Costs money to do that, I tend to only see movies I know I will enjoy. I feel that most peoples' motivation for seeing this is so they can see if they're right or not.
    To be fair, the reviews are matching what EG is saying.

It's a well made film. Good script, good acting - it's just not about to revolutionise cinema in the way that say, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings did.

I'll be going to see it Friday night, I reckon.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Remember when Summer Blockbusters didn't foment a political furore in order to boost their publicity? I miss that...
    I think you've misunderstood the nature of art: it's all inherently political. It's just that the only time we notice is when it presents an idea or concept that we (as individuals or society) don't hold to be true. Excluding women with an all-male line-up of Ghostbusters is exactly as political as the current film's all female position.

We're only noticing that the Ghostbusters remake as a political work because society as a whole holds that women aren't real people entitled to stories of their own. In the majority of Western culture, they're allowed to exist, but only inasmuch as they facilitate a man's story, either by dying and providing him with an excuse to do violence, or by serving as a romantic and sexual reward for a heroic victory, etc...

Hollywood is simply mercenary. Films cost a fortune, so producers go where the money is. That means new Ghostbusters is actually looking in to cash in on some market the f*ckboys of the internet aren't aware of - women in general, girls, fans of the comedians involved. That they chose the Ghostbusters IP is honestly neither here nor there. This film was going to come along eventually, either as a remake of Ghostbusters, or of Fast and Furious, or of Indiana Jones, or a remake of some other supposedly sacred cow that the f*ckboys would have inevitably lost their minds over.

Meanwhile, while they rage, the film will make money based on whether its good or not, because the f*ckboys aren't nearly as powerful or numerous or important as they think they are.

So this furore was the inevitable result of Hollywood's desire for money running into white f*ckboy entitlement. And it'll likely get worse before it gets better. The backlashes are always at their most vicious about two years after the initial change. It's usually a 'two steps forwards, one step back' kind of thing.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    To be fair, the reviews are matching what EG is saying.

It's a well made film. Good script, good acting - it's just not about to revolutionise cinema in the way that say, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings did..
    For the most part. Seems that the leading ladies themselves are likable, the humour seems to be a dividing thing, though that's always a matter of taste. Ghost CGI seems to be a sticking point, but yeah, that's unsurprising.

Overall it seems like it's alright.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Bargain supermarket DVD CG like I've always said. TBH I consume even most massive films like that these days, but its especially true for something thats generally reviewed as it's alright. Good, not great. etc etc now cinema tickets are silly prices

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

For the most part. Seems that the leading ladies themselves are likable, the humour seems to be a dividing thing, though that's always a matter of taste. Ghost CGI seems to be a sticking point, but yeah, that's unsurprising.

Overall it seems like it's alright.
    Gonna try a different angle.

Do you have any suspicion that you won't enjoy it?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Most of the reviewers I use as a litmus test didn't, though I don't consider them to be cast-iron, obviously.

That, and the only way to see a movie for me is to take the train up to the nearby city, go see it at the cinema, then head back. While I'm in the city I normally end up getting something to eat, so we're talking a pricey night if it turns out I don't like it. :P
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Which is entirely fair

[url]http://newsthump.com/2016/07/20/man-furious-as-ghosbusters-remake-gets-good-reviews-and-makes-money/[/url]

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I think it's better than Ghostbusters to be honest. Smarter, better acted, no mean humour in it, and the main character isn't a smarmy creep (Venkman). I'd give it an 8 to the originals 7.5. I actually like Ghostbusters 2, it's fun, give it a 7.
    On the contrary, she was also super-creepy. The standing difference was she got called on it by the others.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast