BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Not really. She had a crush on Kevin, and was a bit silly, but nothing predatory or creepy like Venkman who was just full on sleaze.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I finally saw it. I didn't think it was too bad at all. The cast were the best thing about it I thought and I especially liked Kristen Wiig. The FX and story were a bit iffy but it was alright overall. I found the humour a little hit and miss at times, but I think thats more down to my personal sense of humour than the movie itself (my taste in comedy is pretty picky I must admit) I'm looking more forward to a sequel I think as itll prolly have a more interesting story. I didn't find it sexist to men either and don't really understand those comments. Overall I'd give it a 7/10.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

And now for today’s lesson in institutionalised misogyny.

Today’s news: Ghostbusters ‘tanks’, ‘stumbles’ with 53% drop in its second week.

Presumably that’s a bad performance compared to other action movies in their second week then?

Let’s check…

Captain America: Civil War: -59.5%
    Dark Knight: -52%
    Amazing Spider Man: -61%
    Oh, and for an example of an actual ‘tanking’:

Batman vs Superman: -69%
    Now, let’s examine all the reporting last week that Ghostbusters was going to struggle because of its first week multiplier against its budget…

Ghostbusters first weekend US figures: $46m
    It had a $144m budget, so in its first week it made 32% of that.
    Descriptions: ‘Lacklustre’, ‘problematic’, ‘will haunt Sony’

Star Trek Beyond first weekend US figures: $59.6m
    It had a $189m budget, so in its first week it made 30% of its budget.
    Reporting: ‘Dominates’, ‘wins big’

To be clear: there are articles describing both movies’ openings as ‘solid’. But there’s basically no one calling Beyond worrying or Ghostbusters a big win.

So. ‘Nuff said?
    Internalised misogyny is a hell of a drug.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Off to see it in but one and a half hours

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Internalised misogyny is a hell of a drug.
    It's akin to those still claiming AoS was a flop, when GW have published its selling far better than Warhammer did in the past few years.

Dem axes must be well blunt, innit.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

I would have thought the dominates and wins big stuff is referring to the weekend performance compared to the other movies out at that time. Where Star Trek has twice the gross than that of second place and Ghostbusters only came in second after a movie that had been released the previous week.

And the movies listed with a comparable drop all had way better opening weekends than Ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters made more of its budget back in its first weekend than Star Trek did, the point isn't how well each film did, but how the media are reporting they did. Ghostbusters had a better second week than the films listed, but is reported as stumbling or tanking, those films were not.

Chaplain

I'm not saying putting the emphasis in judging a movies success where it currently is makes much sense (gross in relation to budget seems indeed more reasonable) but it's not something that is brought up just now because an all female Ghostbusters is around. Although I don't follow that kind of reporting on a weekly basis I seem to remeber more than one instance where a firts place in the charts was considered a hit and a second was not.

Of course the final word on comparing the reporting has to wait till Star Trek hits it's second week.

The movies listed all made decisively more money than Ghostbusters both in their first and second week and both absolute and compared to budget. (don't know the budget of Spiderman though)

Just back from seeing it - was a bloody good laugh!

Holtzman stole the show for me - reminds me a lot of the sort of Roleplay characters I tend to favour. Cameos all worked, especially the first one, even if it is a teeny bit 'blink and you'll miss it'.

Plot was decently original. End third was a bit Deus Ex perhaps, but then the original was much the same.

After credits teaser was superb!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quite middle of the road opinion on the movie, mostly reviewing the hysteria around said movie and that it's all gotten a bit silly on each side. I think this review more than any is the one that'll get me to actually watch it.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Okay, so I finally got around to watching it, and...

...It's alright. I found the humour to be more hit than miss, though there were a few that really missed for me. The climax of the movie was pretty exciting and the main cast were all likable. I was glad that Patty was more than just Dat Black Gurl and her knowing all about New York was less street-smarts and more being a massive history buff. Kevin was a bit tough to handle as a character due to how monumentally, unbelievably stupid he was, but it was a fairly fun role and there were some moments with him that got a genuine laugh out of me.

Overall, a good blockbuster flick. I think I'll be grabbing the disc when it releases.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223