BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Solid 6-7 out of 10 I'd say. It was in no way anti-men. At all. It's better than Ghostbusters 2.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

I think it's better than Ghostbusters to be honest. Smarter, better acted, no mean humour in it, and the main character isn't a smarmy creep (Venkman). I'd give it an 8 to the originals 7.5. I actually like Ghostbusters 2, it's fun, give it a 7.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Remember when Summer Blockbusters didn't foment a political furore in order to boost their publicity? I miss that...
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Clickbait sells stuff though.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Remember when Summer Blockbusters didn't foment a political furore in order to boost their publicity? I miss that...
    It's sickening having an all women cast is considered controversial yes.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I'm speaking more about the handling, and the fact that my Youtube is crammed with Ghostbusters reviews now. So much publicity for pretty much free, just gotta get everyone nice and angry.

Anger some tw*ts, who then anger feminists, who then anger everyone else. Whole thing turns into a puddle of vitriol that muddies the issue of whether the movie is actually good by hiding it in an Us vs Them narrative. Those who hate it go to see it so they can rant about it online. Those who love it go to see it to show people support it!

That said, it's had a weak Box Office opening weekend. Not sure if I'll go to see it either way.

But all they did was cast women in it. I mean people are trying to argue Sony were fanning the flames but literally all they were doing was standing by their decision and supporting the director and cast.

It didn't have a weak box office opening. They were aiming for 38-40m, projections off pre-sales had them reaching 45m, they hit 46m, and its Feig's best opening for a film. Sony greenlit a sequel off the strength of the opening weekend.

Fair enough, I'm honestly just tired of hearing about the movie atm. I wanted to like it, but there's no chance of wading through the vitriol to find an honest consensus of opinion on it. I'm not sure if the humour will hit the mark for me, and the trailers didn't really impress.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    It didn't have a weak box office opening. They were aiming for 38-40m, projections off pre-sales had them reaching 45m, they hit 46m, and its Feig's best opening for a film. Sony greenlit a sequel off the strength of the opening weekend.
    Related:

it’s the BIGGEST live-action comedy debut since Pitch Perfect 2 (2015)

it’s the THIRD-BIGGEST live-action opening of the summer (behind only X-Men: Apocalypse and Captain America: Civil War, both HUGE *** releases)

it’s the SECOND-BIGGEST live-action/non-superhero opening of 2016 (behind Walt Disney’s The Jungle Book)
    it’s the biggest opening weekend ever for Paul Feig (director), Katie Dippold (writer), Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, Cecily Strong, and even Andy Garcia (ANDY ****ING GARCIA)

it’s Kristen Wiig’s second biggest live-action opening weekend (behind The Martian)

it’s pretty damn big for even Chris Hemsworth (below only the MCU films and Snow White and the Huntsman)

Paul Feig has a track record of consistently solid box office sales rather than big opening weekends

the audience was 57% female, which is an UNUSUALLY high proportion for a blockbuster

a large proportion of people who refused to see it ~on principle~ clearly don’t give a rat’s *** about cinematic quality because most of the initial reviews prior to release were at least favourable if not straight-out raves
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    I wanted to like it, but there's no chance of wading through the vitriol to find an honest consensus of opinion on it.
    Form your own opinion?

Costs money to do that, I tend to only see movies I know I will enjoy. I feel that most peoples' motivation for seeing this is so they can see if they're right or not.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast