BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mount sharing across factions and universes?

Hello everyone.

The sigmarines just got a new model to play around with, and it looks amazing (scroll down to see)!

- and it got me thinking:

Why not sell the dragon body (without a head) separately. That way, GW could make an empire, chaos, high- and dark elf "upgrade" pack which contained armor, rider + saddle and a dragon head - all unique to their faction.
    It would also apply brilliantly on a mount like the griffon (which high elves, the empire and brets all share).
    This would give us - the gamers - more and cheaper models to choose from, and GW would sell more models. Win win?

At this point, your inner voice is prob going "why the hell would he post this in the 40k section" (well, unless you read the title ) - and that is indeed a good question!

The answer is, that this "trick" has potential to not only work between factions - but also make the jump between universes!

Take the chaos juggernaught as an example:

Chaos space marines, demons and chaos warriors all have this one unit as a mount. So why not take the extra step, and sell the juggernaughts separately? It would create the opportunity to make two new units (as company for the chaos lords and their mounts) much cheaper than would otherwise be possible.
    And the possibilities do not end there. The rumored eldar exodites could easily share cold one mounts with the lizardmen and dark elfs of the the old world (or mabye even the dragon mount), or the space wolves could share their dire wolf mounts with the fantasy orks and ogres (or a new sabertooth tiger mount?). - and the list goes on.

And that makes me wonder: Why haven't GW alredy done this after their great success with dual kits?

Last edited by Andersp90; 03-11-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Mount sharing is nothing new, really. I have space marines riding lions, empire knights riding wolves, ogres riding pheonixes, ogres riding dinosaurs. I've seen people use the dwarf "dragon" as a salamander mount for space marines, I've seen people use the dinosaurs for Eldar who gave the craftworlds the finger, etc.

I doubt they'll ever release just the body though, you'll most likely be stuck buying two kits like the rest of us.

GW do a lot of dual kits but, for some reason, they're all single faction kits (and therefore single game kits, except for Daemons).

I've often thought that there's a missed opportunity here. They could easily do a single kit that could make, say, Chaos Cultists and/or Brood Brothers and/or IG (or Necromunda gang...). They could make a kit that could be Orcs or Orks, Goblins or Grots, etc. I suppose the main problem with something like that would be deciding on the appropriate packaging.

But now they use CAD sculpting, they can re-use designs between kits if they wish. So, if they released a new High Elf dragon model, they could then re-use that dragon, on a new sprue with a new rider for another faction. While I see some attraction in selling a generic dragon and then separate rider upgrade sprues for various armies, I don't see that this is a big gain over selling boxes of High Elf dragon + rider, Dark Elf dragon + rider, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    GW do a lot of dual kits but, for some reason, they're all single faction kits (and therefore single game kits, except for Daemons).

I've often thought that there's a missed opportunity here. They could easily do a single kit that could make, say, Chaos Cultists and/or Brood Brothers and/or IG (or Necromunda gang...). They could make a kit that could be Orcs or Orks, Goblins or Grots, etc. I suppose the main problem with something like that would be deciding on the appropriate packaging.

But now they use CAD sculpting, they can re-use designs between kits if they wish. So, if they released a new High Elf dragon model, they could then re-use that dragon, on a new sprue with a new rider for another faction. While I see some attraction in selling a generic dragon and then separate rider upgrade sprues for various armies, I don't see that this is a big gain over selling boxes of High Elf dragon + rider, Dark Elf dragon + rider, etc.
    People already hate dual kits because they come with an increased price tag for the sprues you won't even be using. Now imagine if they also came with bits that don't even belong to the faction you want to make. People would lose their sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Theik View Post
    Mount sharing is nothing new, really. I have space marines riding lions, empire knights riding wolves, ogres riding pheonixes, ogres riding dinosaurs. I've seen people use the dwarf "dragon" as a salamander mount for space marines, I've seen people use the dinosaurs for Eldar who gave the craftworlds the finger, etc.
    I know that mount sharing is not a new thing (and i'm not talking about kitbashing). What I am wondering, is why GW has not taken advantage of it.

People already hate dual kits because they come with an increased price tag for the sprues you won't even be using. Now imagine if they also came with bits that don't even belong to the faction you want to make. People would lose their sanity.
    Note the commas. He means individual boxes. Not one box to "rule them all".

I think the biggest problem, is the amount of parts that would be thrown out. Nobody likes to pay for stuff they have no use of.

While I see some attraction in selling a generic dragon and then separate rider upgrade sprues for various armies, I don't see that this is a big gain over selling boxes of High Elf dragon + rider, Dark Elf dragon + rider, etc.
    I guess you are right. It makes more sense just to make a box with a generic dragon body + elf dragon head + rider, another box with the same generic dragon body + dark elf dragon head + rider and so on.

Still, GW would save money on designing the body and base + making moulds.
    Last edited by Andersp90; 03-12-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andersp90 View Post
    Still, GW would save money on designing the body and base + making moulds.
    I don't think this is necessarily true. A mold costs a lot of money to make, and if you're making several sets, you need several molds. Then you need to individually package all that stuff instead of just stuffing it all into one box, and you run the risk of making some stuff nobody will ever buy.

People looking to convert a skaven riding a plague-riddled dinosaur will do so anyway, they don't really need to be convinced by offering it in bits.

They've done it before, starting with the plastic Dragon from a Talisman expansion set...

Which was next seen as...

And latterly seen as....

And of course

Just some metal bits to change it up (head, tail and hands typically)

But hey, it's your Hobby, go converting and go completely chicken oriental when doing so.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Battle-Brother

I don't think Eldar cold ones would have the same sadle technology as fantasy armies. I know it's not that noticeable, but it is a difference. I bet that would happen in a lot of circumstances..

Veteran-Sergeant

with a little creativity, all kits are dual universe kits.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

if you're making several sets, you need several molds.
    Not necessarily (and I highly doubt it). It all depends on how often the plastic molds are in use. Before I went to uni, I worked at a factory that produced different metal parts for the car industry (Volvo, Mercedes etc). Each CNC machine could produce a number of different parts for a number of different car manufacturers, and the same machine rarely produced the same part for more than 2-3 weeks. I doubt it's much different regarding the GW molds.

Then you need to individually package all that stuff
    I think that it's already the case. Each box contains between 2-4 unique plastic prints, and I highly doubt, that they're all molded at the same time, by the same machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    They've done it before, starting with the plastic Dragon from a Talisman expansion set...
    Cool, I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogle View Post
    I don't think Eldar cold ones would have the same sadle technology as fantasy armies. I know it's not that noticeable, but it is a difference. I bet that would happen in a lot of circumstances..
    I know, and I have alredy covered that "problem": "Why not sell the dragon body (without a head) separately. That way, GW could make an empire, chaos, high- and dark elf "upgrade" pack which contained armor, rider +saddle and a dragon head - all unique to their faction."

Then again, the harness (not sure if that is the correct term) doesn't exactly look hightech..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salamanders_vs._Exodite_Dragon_Warrior.jpg 
Views:	840 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	17741
    Last edited by Andersp90; 03-14-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast