BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 40k like Points System inbound from GW

Hi All,

I have a local GW rep who says GW is working on a points system for AoS closer to 40k. He won't divulge much detail at the moment out side of that they are doing so.

Does anyone have any more insight on this?

Sounds somewhat unlikely to be honest.

Could be a local stores own efforts, could be a store adopting and tweaking something like Azyr Comp.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Apparently he said it's directly from GW and he was using an application they created for Points and list building. He is an honest guy so i wouldn't doubt it being truth, as soon as he shares more information, i'll update.

Hmm.

We've already got the AoS App which deals with army building (such as there is).

I dunno. Not sure this is actually going to happen. But as ever, I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

But.... but if that happens what will people moan about.

Hang I quite like having no points I can moan about it. Phew disaster averted.
    Last edited by grimmas; 03-15-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Still waiting to see what he can/can't share. He did say he was looiking at the points for Orcs/Goblins and they seemed really well done. Note he is an Orc player in all games so that's probably what he cares most about.

EDIT: This is what is said via our local Facebook group when i asked if there were details to share "Still no green light yet. Shouldn't be too much longer".

I will let you guys know when it's up. He said he will provide pics when he is allowed to.
    Last edited by IImmortalized; 03-15-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Brother-Captain

Well anything you can share will be of interest

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    But.... but if that happens what will people moan about.

Hang I quite like having no points I can moan about it. Phew disaster averted.
    If it happens, people who like no points can opt not to use points, right?

If it happens, it'll mean that while they do their best to ignore their customers, they might actually recognize some of the loudest complaints at times. Can't say that'd be a bad thing.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    If it happens, people who like no points can opt not to use points, right?

If it happens, it'll mean that while they do their best to ignore their customers, they might actually recognize some of the loudest complaints at times. Can't say that'd be a bad thing.
    Well people who like points can make them up now, and they have. I am mucking around although I did see someone on Facebook rage about how people were f***ing up the game by trying to put too many restrictions on it (and it wasn't me). I'd also point out that the people who like AoS are customers its not just the moaners and I'm doubtful how many of them will actually buy anything regardless of any changes to AoS.

If they do bring out a more detailled army building mechanic I'd like to see something new. I'm bored of points it's been 25yr plus for me and 30yrs plus for that mechanic in Warhammer it's time for a change maybe something using formations or keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Well people who like points can make them up now, and they have. I am mucking around although I did see someone on Facebook rage about how people were f***ing up the game by trying to put too many restrictions on it (and it wasn't me). I'd also point out that the people who like AoS are customers its not just the moaners and I'm doubtful how many of them will actually buy anything regardless of any changes to AoS.

If they do bring out a more detailled army building mechanic I'd like to see something new. I'm bored of points it's been 25yr plus for me and 30yrs plus for that mechanic in Warhammer it's time for a change maybe something using formations or keywords.
    This is a pretty silly argument.

It takes a lot of tweaking to come up with good points for units and it helps balance the game so people don't get curbstomped because they had no idea how "much" of an army to bring to the table, so it should always have been done by GW in the first place and could then have happily been ignored.

You could also sell cars without tires and an engine and people who absolutely want tires can put them in themselves, but I doubt anybody will take you very seriously if you only self half the product.

There was -nothing- in the old warhammer fantasy preventing you from playing without points or percentages. The fact people kept doing it was because it was simply the best way to ensure the fight was at least somewhat on equal grounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast