BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default AoS returns to Facebook officially.

Yep.

It's not just Forgeworld - looks like GW are returning to social media.

Now, any bets how long this lasts before some neck bearded, self-entitled goon starts ruining it for everyone?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

Not long unfortunately.

currently working on a line of sci-fi bunkers and tunneling, input always appreciated

Brother-Captain

We might discover a unit of time smaller than Terry Pratchett's "New York Second". If it's well moderated it might be alright. The fan run AoS FB page is very good.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Was AoS ever on Facebook to have left? It's less than a year old, and GW's fear of dealing with customers goes well past a year.

I'm sure the neckbearded goons jumping to claim anyone who says anything critical of GW is awful will indeed ruin things. They tend to do that.

Otherwise... let's see how it goes. You should expect all kinds of comments, good or bad. EA's staff for Battlefront is actually a good study on how to handle the criticism, even when it's nasty. Just be professional when you respond, and respond to good and bad equally.

I expect there might be a good bit of negative, but, frankly, the company's kind of earned that. Maybe they're taking steps back in the right direction, but they'll have to modify their core business "plan" to get people to stop being angry. Overpriced toy soldiers with games trying to push you to buy a bunch of them, overpriced weekly sales flyer in place of the old useful monthly gaming magazine, overpriced books, and questionable quality in some recent sculpts and the unforgivable Supremacy Tactical Objective cards are all viable reasons to have an issue, and things that push people away.

So yeah... they'll have their fair share of viable criticism. The problem is, that might get buried by the neckbeard goons who jump in to defend GW as full-awesome and demand that anyone who doesn't love GW 100% be silent.

Erik.

You know perfectly well there's a vast difference between constructive criticism (such as; hey, I'd like to see; any chance of etc) and neck beard self-entitled goonery (JOR GAAME SUXXORZ, I HATZ JOOO! LOL MANTIC R BETTARZ!).

And as pointed out on the Gav Thorpe thread, it's heavily ironic that those who accuse something of being childish rarely communicate in a fashion as to suggest they'd be capable of playing a game as 'mature' as they constantly demand. And yes, that includes overly verbose language to try to give the impression you're wordly wise (not a dig at you!), especially when said overly verbose language contains clearly mutually exclusive terms, thus only enforcing the reality that they've been used to sound intelligent.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

My only dig at AoS being "childish" would be based on the silly rules that are still present. But more than just saying that makes the game "childish," I'd suggest it's a problem in that it forces people to do actions they might not be comfortable with (i.e. shouting in a shop) or gives bonuses based on gender (i.e. female gamers can't grow facial hair) or other physical elements that should have nothing to do with the game. I'm all for choosing to do an actual "WAAAAGH!!!" when my Orks do so, but being told I have to talk to my figure, shout something out, dance, stroke my beard, etc., doesn't feel the same.

And I wouldn't be so concerned about that stuff if it wasn't still in the compendiums.

Brother-Captain

You can't trust an Ork/c player who refuses to Waaagh now and again, it is after all a word that can only be bellowed. To be fair the reaction to some of them have been fairly amusing I read a great rant by someone about not being able to roll 13 for the Screaming Bell.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Reactions on both pages have been pretty reasonable so far.

The only real criticism so far was one post by someone saying they wished there were more rules for AoS, to which the official response was that AoS is a framework and you can houserule it to your heart's content, and a counter-point that houserules don't work for random pickup games. Nothing that sounds like trolling or anything.

I expect it to pick up some as people find out about the page, but they've already got a fair number of followers (over 2800 for 40K, nearly 1600 for AoS) and it's relatively quiet. Maybe it won't be as bad as people think? (But yeah, totally expect some. If GW can't attract the actual trolls, they've become irrelevant, and that's sad.)

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    I read a great rant by someone about not being able to roll 13 for the Screaming Bell.
    Doesn't Kairos Fateweaver allow you to change any one roll to a number of your choosing?

Single dice roll (so yes, includes 3D6, 2D6) to a single to the result of your choosing.

Can't roll 13 on 2D6, so can't choose it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Reactions on both pages have been pretty reasonable so far.

The only real criticism so far was one post by someone saying they wished there were more rules for AoS, to which the official response was that AoS is a framework and you can houserule it to your heart's content, and a counter-point that houserules don't work for random pickup games. Nothing that sounds like trolling or anything.

I expect it to pick up some as people find out about the page, but they've already got a fair number of followers (over 2800 for 40K, nearly 1600 for AoS) and it's relatively quiet. Maybe it won't be as bad as people think? (But yeah, totally expect some. If GW can't attract the actual trolls, they've become irrelevant, and that's sad.)
    Either that or they're really good at deleting and booting offenders before they get a chance to really start shrieking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast