BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Valkyrie/Vendetta with Veterans Question

Will a Valkyrie/Vendetta with a Veteran Squad still count as a scoring unit while the squad is embarked? The question comes up due to if a vehicle with a Troop choice inside can capture objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lednera View Post
    Will a Valkyrie/Vendetta with a Veteran Squad still count as a scoring unit while the squad is embarked? The question comes up due to if a vehicle with a Troop choice inside can capture objectives.
    Absolutely.

-- MKerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Battle-Brother

Also, do you measure from the base or the hull? Because I'm sure a Valkyrie/Vendetta is more than 3" up...

Quote Originally Posted by the_killer23 View Post
    Also, do you measure from the base or the hull? Because I'm sure a Valkyrie/Vendetta is more than 3" up...
    Always measure from the hull (ignoring the wings and the tail).

The Valkyrie flying base is about 6" tall and this will add some distance to your measuring, but not much. Ignore the extra height when you are embarking and disembarking.

-- MKerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Quote Originally Posted by mkerr View Post
    Always measure from the hull (ignoring the wings and the tail).

The Valkyrie flying base is about 6" tall and this will add some distance to your measuring, but not much. Ignore the extra height when you are embarking and disembarking.

-- MKerr
    You should at least be consistent. If you measure objective claiming from the hull you have to measure disembarking from the hull. How did you FAQ it for BOLScon?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by avatar8481 View Post
    You should at least be consistent. If you measure objective claiming from the hull you have to measure disembarking from the hull. How did you FAQ it for BOLScon?
    Because if you played it this way, embarked units can never get out unless near a building.

In our store, we do everything from the base, and it solves all problems. The exceptions are LOS to and from the hull.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Because if you played it this way, embarked units can never get out unless near a building.

In our store, we do everything from the base, and it solves all problems. The exceptions are LOS to and from the hull.
    I'm completely aware of that, which is why I asked. It's a broken model in that it doesn't interact with it's own rules in a regular common-sense way. It's like GW doesn't care at all about competitive, regularized play environments (read as 'tournaments') and just wants to sell flavor of the month models to children...oh, wait, that's exactly what it IS, not just what it's like.

I think your store's approach is the most reasonable.

It's like GW doesn't care at all about competitive, regularized play environments (read as 'tournaments') and just wants to sell flavor of the month models to children...oh, wait, that's exactly what it IS, not just what it's like.
    I think it's more like GW insists on the people who play its game behaving like gentlemen and gentlewomen who don't need an erratum every time the game shifts on them, and whose personal interest lies more in asymmetry. Asymmetry (of terrain, of objectives, of quality and quantity of troops, vehicles, and other war materiel) is a staple of wargaming because it's a staple of combat, and tournaments strive to make most of the game as symmetrical as possible.

Maybe that's not how you play, or for that matter how most of the internet plays, and maybe it's misguided of them to insist that people work it out for themselves like adults. But I do think if you look at the games the Studio plays and writes up, it's evident that they're playing a fundamentally different game than the one that gets represented on the 'tubes.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 08-13-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Chapter-Master

It's like GW doesn't care at all about competitive, regularized play environments (read as 'tournaments')
    GW doesn't. Not one bit.

Welcome to 1986.

Warhammer 40k is NOT a tournament, rigid competitive game like Magic the Gathering and Chess. It is a laid back hobby concerning with painting, modeling and relaxing with friend over beers for a few hours.

You are aware that GW's FAQs are house rules right? Only Erratas are to be used by players without permission since they replace wording in a rules book.

Warhammer 40k is NOT a tournament based game in any stretch of the imagination.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Grand Provost Marshal

So, a 5-man IST squad is like a 50-pt upgrade to make Valks/Vendettas scoring, right?

I'm not wrong that an IST could be in a Valk, am I?
    -Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast