BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ah, thank you, that made it clear. I guess his ability is there just for a command squad, but a CS seems useless since it would ruin the point of his jump pack. That does open up a few more general questions though.

1. Can a Jump Pack commander (or Shrike) be joined with an Assault squad in reserve and arrive as one unit via Deep Strike?

2. Can you field a Tac squad, join a Chaplin to it, and have them all deploy together inside a rhino?

3. What about something more extreme, like 5 Terminators, Chaplin and Librarian, both in Term armor, all inside a Crusader (bought as heavy support)?

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm coming back from a 8 or so year hiatus (Tau were recently released around when I drifted away from the hobby).
    Last edited by Enemy5; 04-24-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy5 View Post
    Ah, thank you, that made it clear. I guess his ability is there just for a command squad, but a CS seems useless since it would ruin the point of his jump pack. That does open up a few more general questions though.
    Not even. Re-check your codex: command squads are not purchased for the captain. They are a totally separate unit; you just need a captain in order to be able to buy them. It's no different than if the codex had said you can buy up to one Whirlwind for every techmarine in your army - one merely unlocks the option to buy the other.

1. Can a Jump Pack commander (or Shrike) be joined with an Assault squad in reserve and arrive as one unit via Deep Strike?
    Yes, absolutely. Per page 94, independent characters can be joined to a unit that is being held in Reserve, and so long as the whole unit had the ability to Deep Strike, the whole unit could do so.

2. Can you field a Tac squad, join a Chaplin to it, and have them all deploy together inside a rhino?
    So long as the Rhino belongs to the tac squad and not the chaplain, yes. See page 67: dedicated transports can start the game with the unit they were bought for plus any attached independent characters. So the tac squad's Rhino can transport the tac squad and an attached chaplain. A chaplain's Rhino could not transport the Chaplain and an attached tac squad (not that chaplains can buy Rhinos, but just so you understand the principle).

3. What about something more extreme, like 5 Terminators, Chaplin and Librarian, both in Term armor, all inside a Crusader (bought as heavy support)?
    Oddly enough, there is no rule stating whether non-dedicated transports can start the game with passengers embarked. Page 67 implies that a non-dedicated transport can start the game with any legal passengers embarked, but the book never comes right out and says it (nor does it ever come right out and say that you can't). So pretty much the universal practice is to take the page 67 implication as the rule, which means yes, five terminators, a terminator chaplain, and a terminator librarian could all start in a non-dedicated Land Raider Crusader.

I apologize for all the questions, but I'm coming back from a 8 or so year hiatus (Tau were recently released around when I drifted away from the hobby).
    No problem; happy to talk 40K till the cows come home!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    You're thinking of the wrong text on page 48. Here's the question: how do you know which squad is Shrike's?

What you'd expect to find is a rule stating that independent characters can be joined to squads before deployment begins. But you won't find any such sentence in the rulebook. Instead, what you find is this:

Alternatively an independent character may begin the game already with a unit, by being deployed in coherency with them.

Now, that might mean "An independent character can join a unit before deployment, but if so, must be deployed in coherency with the unit it has joined." But it might mean this:

Let's assume I want to join Shrike to Assault Squad A. Assault Squad A, by itself, does not have Infiltrate. If the technicality reading is true, here's what happens:

1. Me: Okay, I'm joining Shrike to Assault Squad A, and they're going to Infiltrate, so they won't be deployed during normal deployment.
    2. Rules: Sorry, you can't just declare Shrike joined to Assault Squad A. He can only become joined to them, if after deployment he happens to be in coherency with them.
    3. Me: Oh, okay. Well, I'm going to join Shrike to Assault Squad A, and then they'll Infiltrate.
    4. Rules: Sorry, Assault Squad A doesn't have Infiltrate until Shrike has joined them.
    5. Me: Oh, okay. Well, during normal deployment, I'll place Assault Squad A here, in my deployment zone.
    6. Rules: Okay.
    7. Me: Okay, also during normal deployment, I'll place Shrike here, in my deployment zone, within 2" of Assault Squad A. Now they're deployed in coherency, right?
    8. Rules: Yup!
    9. Me: Okay, so that means Shrike has joined Assault Squad A, right?
    10. Rules: Yup!
    11. Me: Okay, so that means Assault Squad A is "Shrike's squad" within the meaning of his special rule, right?
    12. Rules: Yup!
    13. Me: Okay, so now that they're joined, they're going to Infiltrate.
    14. Rules: Sorry, you already deployed them. You can't deploy normally and then Infiltrate, you have to declare that a unit is Infiltrating before normal deployment begins.
    15. Me: But ... but ... but there's no way for Shrike to join the squad before normal deployment begins!
    16. Rules: Nope!
    17. Me: But ... but ... that means there's no way for Shrike to give Infiltrate to his squad before normal deployment begins!
    18. Rules: Sure does!
    19. Me: But ... but ... that means Shrike can only give Infiltrate to a squad after it's too late for them to use it!
    20. Rules: Now you're getting it!
    21. Me: But ... but ... that means Shrike's special rule is useless!
    22. Rules: Hey, don't blame me. I didn't write these rules!

Like we've said, it's a totally lame technicality, and in my opinion any opponent worth his salt should be ashamed to take advantage of it ... but do you understand the technicality now?
    Heh, this made me chuckle.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Not even. Re-check your codex: command squads are not purchased for the captain. They are a totally separate unit; you just need a captain in order to be able to buy them. It's no different than if the codex had said you can buy up to one Whirlwind for every techmarine in your army - one merely unlocks the option to buy the other.
    Note the difference between this and old-style retinues (which Sisters and Grey Knights get).
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Veteran-Sergeant

Just been reading this and are we now having the same conversation as the "combat squad" thread.

All these things seem to have to happen in the "Deployment Phase", for the special rules to make any sense at all.
    The background for Shrike is about his ability to turn up with/infiltrate with an assault squad etc. Yet if we talk through the rules as we have been in this thread, then it just can't happen in the game, the game that the designers wanted to be more intuitive and cinematic.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishInquisition View Post
    Just been reading this and are we now having the same conversation as the "combat squad" thread.

All these things seem to have to happen in the "Deployment Phase", for the special rules to make any sense at all.
    The background for Shrike is about his ability to turn up with/infiltrate with an assault squad etc. Yet if we talk through the rules as we have been in this thread, then it just can't happen in the game, the game that the designers wanted to be more intuitive and cinematic.
    No, I think this case is quite a bit more clear than the combat squad issue. The BRB is very clear on when an IC can join a squad. And because Shrike can't join a squad, and then afterwards infiltrate, they can't go on together. It's pretty clear in this case that technically, Shrike CANNOT be attached to a squad and infiltrate with it, unless it already has infiltrate. Despite Shrike's rule. Stupid, yes. Debatable, not really.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

I was reading in the Necron FAQ trying to go over a play that we'd done in the last game I played against a buddy of mine (not that it matters, but he had a res orb and was dragging dead necron models with the unit as it fell back, and I was like hUH?!) But I came across this...

Q. Does a Lord who teleports a unit using the
    veil of darkness join that unit?
    A. Yes. When they deep strike, the Lord has
    already joined the unit.

So this kinda addresses this issue of whether or not an IC is a part of the unit. I read this as that the Lord joined the unit prior to hitting the table, while in reserve waiting to be deep struck. Would anyone else see this as analagous and think that yes, it was meant for Shrike to be able to infiltrate with a unit of non-infiltrating guys?

I've never dealt directly with shirke in a game, just with the rules debates here.

John M>

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    I was reading in the Necron FAQ trying to go over a play that we'd done in the last game I played against a buddy of mine (not that it matters, but he had a res orb and was dragging dead necron models with the unit as it fell back, and I was like hUH?!) But I came across this...

Q. Does a Lord who teleports a unit using the
    veil of darkness join that unit?
    A. Yes. When they deep strike, the Lord has
    already joined the unit.

So this kinda addresses this issue of whether or not an IC is a part of the unit. I read this as that the Lord joined the unit prior to hitting the table, while in reserve waiting to be deep struck. Would anyone else see this as analagous and think that yes, it was meant for Shrike to be able to infiltrate with a unit of non-infiltrating guys?

I've never dealt directly with shirke in a game, just with the rules debates here.

John M>
    Unfortunately, it still doesn't solve the problem. We already know that you can attach an IC to a squad when you put them in reserves. The problem is, Shrike and his squad never go into reserves. They are never deployed. Shrike never gets an opportunity to give "his squad" Infiltrate until it is too late to use the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    No, I think this case is quite a bit more clear than the combat squad issue. The BRB is very clear on when an IC can join a squad. And because Shrike can't join a squad, and then afterwards infiltrate, they can't go on together. It's pretty clear in this case that technically, Shrike CANNOT be attached to a squad and infiltrate with it, unless it already has infiltrate. Despite Shrike's rule. Stupid, yes. Debatable, not really.
    For the record, I actually come down on the side of the second interpretation of page 48, and I think Shrike's rule is good evidence that this is the correct interpretation. But I do think it's important to thoroughly understand the other side.

Chapter-Master

Alternatively an independent character may begin the game already with a unit, by being deployed in coherency with them. p48.

Shrike and the Unit are placed at the same time. There is nothing in the game that states that I place unit A, now I place unit B, now I reserve unit C. All of this stuff just happens in Section 4: Deployment Phase. This would imply that I would grab Unit A and Shrike at the same time and place them as per the infiltrate rules, at the same time.

But what do I know?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12