BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Eldar Titan Holo Field

First Turn, does the Titan count as having moved in the previous turn?

The Rule states - if the target model has moved in the players last movement phase then the hit stands on a 4+, else a 3+

Since there has been no 'last movement phase' this can't actually be quantified as the quantifier doesn't exist...
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

I think that the standard idea with 40k is that everyone lines up on their touch line and awaits the whistle to go (a few sneaky scouts might steal a few yards). As a result, things certainly used to count as stationary until they actually got a movement phase.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by euansmith View Post
    I think that the standard idea with 40k is that everyone lines up on their touch line and awaits the whistle to go (a few sneaky scouts might steal a few yards). As a result, things certainly used to count as stationary until they actually got a movement phase.
    Humm, Possibly, certainly Flyers with the hover rule have to be in 'Skimmer' mode if they are deployed and FMC & FGC have to be in 'Glide' mode, which would imply that they start the game from stationary.

But the IG Deathstrike Missile count down start from the same place it would if it had moved the previous turn.

But... since the condition of the Holo Field is dependent upon the last movement phase,

If the target model has moved in its controlling player's last Movement phase and the attacking player rolls a 4+ then the hit stands ~. If the target model did not move in its controlling player's last Movement phase then the hit stands on a 3+.

Now if you take that completely as written, since there was no last movement phase, it is completely null and void and the model does not get the Holo field...

But since I own a couple of Eldar Titans I think it's a 4+

and really - the armies line up like a Football/Rugby/Dodgeball game waiting for the whistle...

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Ix View Post
    But... since the condition of the Holo Field is dependent upon the last movement phase,

If the target model has moved in its controlling player's last Movement phase and the attacking player rolls a 4+ then the hit stands ~. If the target model did not move in its controlling player's last Movement phase then the hit stands on a 3+.

Now if you take that completely as written, since there was no last movement phase, it is completely null and void and the model does not get the Holo field...
    I'd argue that it's incorrect to not give the Titan no save on the first turn, even by a strict RAW interpretation, but I interpret the rules as something like: When the Titan moves, it activates a flag that gives it the 3+ save until your next move phase.

It's an academic point though, as you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would argue with the Titan having a 4+ on the first turn.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I'd argue that it's incorrect to not give the Titan no save on the first turn, even by a strict RAW interpretation, but I interpret the rules as something like: When the Titan moves, it activates a flag that gives it the 3+ save until your next move phase.

It's an academic point though, as you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would argue with the Titan having a 4+ on the first turn.
    Careful - it's not a save... I wrote the rule fairly verbatim, the attacker rolls the dice, if the titan hasn't moved the hit stands on a 3+, if it has moved the hit stands on a 4+.

It's one of those oddities that is awesome as it can't be negated by anything.

The RAW version I put down was me being a pedantic s**t.

Initiate

I have always been lenient on this rule and allowed players to choose to have moved or not as they wish on first turn. Fluff wise I refuse to believe that 2 armies line up and wait for a whistle to blow, and given the randomness of who gets first turn I do not believe that it should penalize folk to harshly on the roll of a single die.

And after all the models did move. Previously they were in a bag or box and then you moved them on to the table :-)

I appreciate this is only my house rule take on the situation and RAW is quite clear - first turn = no move on previous turn.