BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

GW knows. GW will answer. That guy may be right, or wrong, in the end we'll know for sure. This is why I have gotten off all of the fb groups for now.

I saw someone ask the summoning question on FB and GW replied with an answer that didn't even address the question actually asked. I can only hope that proper FAQs are better, but I won't get my hopes up until they're released.

I think I saw that one - it was essentially 'agree with your opponent'

Which, outside of an official FAQ, I think is pretty reasonable.

I still expect it to be case of 'the unit must have been deployed at the start of the game'. Otherwise summoning gives certain armies a really big advantage others just can't match.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

I think it should be "what you have on the table or specifically mention to your opponent as being things you'll summon later, to allow them to place a unit to counter that" rather than a free "summon what you like when you like" but I have a feeling the actual answer will be the latter to be honest.

True enough on the first two.

But I just don't see 'summon whatevs, whenevs'.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Just becaude it fits with the "fewer, simple rules" things AoS has going

I agree that I think the answer is summon whatevs whenevs because thats how GW has gone. You can do the same thing in 40k with summoning.

You're also right in that it is a trick that has no counter other than to also have a summoner army. Otherwise you will get buried. Sudden Death rules are often quoted as the counter but if you play scenarios, almost every scenario except one or two state to not use the victory conditions from the four page rules so sudden death is not an option unless you just want to stick wtih the AOS version of battleline forever. (which a lot of people here are happy to do)

Though of course, nothing can trump the golden rule of don't be a Richard

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Though of course, nothing can trump the golden rule of don't be a Richard
    Go on ask them if they're going to add that to the FAQs and errata

It is the real "most important rule" after all.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I think I saw that one - it was essentially 'agree with your opponent'

Which, outside of an official FAQ, I think is pretty reasonable.

I still expect it to be case of 'the unit must have been deployed at the start of the game'. Otherwise summoning gives certain armies a really big advantage others just can't match.
    I think the answer is that a Necromancer can summon Zombies (or whatever) without you needing to take Zombies in your starting force, but there's no point going over that debate again. My point was that the reply I saw on FB was about agreeing with your opponent on things like how many units you can summon - it didn't actually address the question that was asked, even in an 'agree with your opponent' non-answer sort of way.

I'm hoping official FAQs will be by rules writers, rather than social media/PR types, but I'm still not filled with confidence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast