BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sadly, the rabidly pro-AoS crowd (I'm not exactly anti-AoS, nor entirely pro-AoS myself) won't hear any negative talk about the game. They only see the positives and not the negatives. Starting right off with how GW threw away the game system that got them really going with their own stuff, a 30-year-old game that had a lot of good years and could have been salvaged. There's no rulebook to buy for AoS, okay, but people coming in off the streets might not know where to get the rules, and the books to make the game more interesting are $74 (campaign books), and the battletomes aren't cheap either. Then there's the models, which are insanely expensive, and one look at that will turn people away faster than the cost of WFB models. Doesn't help when they promote the idea of playing with armies that would take $800-$1000 to build.

My own enthusiasm has seriously waned. It's not helped at all by the dwindling number of players at the local GW (heck, more people play GW games at other stores now), or by the GW manager's own clearly unhappy attitude toward how bad things have gotten. (While I can't blame the manager for feeling that way, he still needs to remember that his job involves customer relations, and that means putting on a smile even when you're feeling depressed or hateful.) But it has meant I've gotten more board games and computer games and started poking into other miniatures games.

Always useful to follow the trends:

[url]http://www.riversidegazette.com/games-workshop-group-plc-cant-burn-your-short-portfolio-just-reaches-52-week-low/[/url]

Can't wait for someone to pop up and tell us all how this is really just proof the company is going great and no one knows what they're talking about if they suggest otherwise...

Not just a 52-week low. It's the lowest it's been since December, 2011. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Can't wait for someone to pop up and tell us all how this is really just proof the company is going great and no one knows what they're talking about if they suggest otherwise...
    Oh, I have faith someone will pipe up to tell us how this means nothing, is all part of their clever restructuring plan, yadda yadda yadda. They are as reliable as Old Faithful.

This means nothing, it is all part of their clever restructuring plan, yadda yadda yadda. I always though 'Old Faithful' was a cool name...
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Well... this is interesting.

[url]http://www.lse.co.uk/AllNews.asp?code=rkf1jntn&headline=Games_Workshop_ Expects_Full_Year_Profit_Ahead_Of_Market_Expectati ons[/url]

Short version: Sales aren't going up or anything, but licensing income increased, meaning they have profit.

Couple of thoughts on that:

- If sales are the same as the prior year, that means all that work to chuck out their long-running game and replace it did nothing to boost the company. That's not a knock on AoS as a game, just that it's not showing to be some kind of amazing great decision to have chucked out WFB. They've also done multiple board games, Start Collecting!, and packaging kits as "deals" that are really just priced closer to what they should be to start with, and that all seems to just be keeping things even. Ouch. But hey, at least it's not a drop, right?

- When the profit growth is from licensing the IP and not increasing sales, that's not great. It's more amusing when you remember that the fantasy IP being licensed right now is the WFB world, not AoS, meaning it's a profitable IP and all, and other companies seem to know how to make money off of it.

Pretty much continued holding pattern for the company, but hey, while it's not a positive, at least it's not a negative, right?
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Chapter-Master

Flat beats a dip any day. The jury's still out on AoS given it's such a young game. It takes a while to build a new customer base.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Flat beats a dip any day. The jury's still out on AoS given it's such a young game. It takes a while to build a new customer base.
    In theory, they shouldn't have to.

I'm just wondering how many people will be finding excuses five years down the line when it doesn't manage to out-perform WFB and continues to show that throwing out your original core game and its 30+ years of history (especially while your profits are coming from licensing the IP out to people, proving it's still popular) perhaps wasn't the best idea.

I'm not so much opposed to AoS as I'm still pissed at GW for not being willing to admit they screwed up and got too greedy and that ran WFB into the ground and, if they're not careful, will repeat itself with 40K.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12