BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Know what? I'm gonna bring back the Flying V Formation!

I used to often pull this maneuver back in the old codex with Close Order Drill. When I decided to, I'd yell out "ALRIGHT MEN, FLYING V FORMATION!" and then move all of my Guardsmen base-to-base with each other in a large V shape and then charge across the board.

Rarely did it end well, but dammit it was funny as all hell. Though one time at the local GW store during a store event my Flying V Formation steamrolled (through sheer luck and Emperor being on my side) through an opposing Chaos player's thre3 10 man Khorne Berzerker squads, to a loud cheer by everyone in the store.

That was a fine day. Haven't used the FVF since the new codex, but I think I'm gonna bring it back for laughs. It likely will be viable w/ Straken and grouping into mobs of 20 Guardsmen w/ Commissars.

Battle-Brother

I'm really unsure of infantry blobs anymore, which is sad. You can't hide powerfists in them, and they wither under fire. Still though, Straken is just an irresistible option to take. Having a 'Monstrous Creature' in your HQ squad, along with all his aura benefits is wonderful.

Chaplain

Blob guard isn't viable but it sure as hell is fun.
    Anti-FSM, Pro-MSoB and proud

Librarian

Exactly, out of ~50 so times I ran the Flying V, only ONCE did it do something good.

That was at a store Apoc game, where my Flying V, through sheer luck on my part and unluck on my opponent's, managed to steamroll 3 squads of 10 Berzerkers each. The store cheered at such a crazy display.

Sadly the Flying V was soon scythed down by waves and waves of Tyranids, but damn they made a fine stand.

It's fun as hell to run a Flying V. Not tactucally sound at all, blob guard in general, but fun. And in the end, that's all I care about.

It's not very smart to call out "Your bloodthirster versus Helbrecht, one on one, bring it *****" But It's still fun to do =) Reading on the net makes me sad, people spend way to much time thinking about the unbeatable list and to little time on doing stupid things =)

Remember: Friends don't let friends do stupid things.....alone

Yea a couple months ago i had a squad of 10 plague marines get blasted to the plague champion and he assaulted a blob of 30 guardsmen out of sheer desperation to escape the plasma and he ended up winning the assault and getting a sweeping advance left combat and still got shot and killed next turn because he was not in CC.

Try it with Straken and a few Power Weapons thrown into the mix, maybe the odd Commissar?
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

Librarian

Exactly, Col. Gravis. In this new codex it could well be formidable, while still fun.

Half of the fun was the bewildered look on people's faces a giant V-shaped mass of Guardsmen ran across open ground to assault stuff they shouldn't have been assaulting. Sometimes it went poorly, sometimes moderately well. 'Twas fun.

Chaplain

I'm looking forward to hearing some stories Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Fellend View Post
    Reading on the net makes me sad, people spend way to much time thinking about the unbeatable list and to little time on doing stupid things =)
    Yeah me too. People always say "so and so doesn't work." In what context? Whether or not something works depends on you and your opponent's levels of experience and timing, your lists, the situation in game, and the luck of the dice.

It makes me sad when people tell someone not to do something based on whether or not it would work under imaginary optimum conditions with all other variables removed.

CHARGE THAT BLOODTHIRSTER!!

Librarian

Hell, Straken has killed An'ggrath in CC in one of my Apoc games. He truly was the Colonel Badass of the day. Although Quaritch is a badass, if they'd only had Straken on Pandora...

Bloodthirsters ain't that scary. Even the king of em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast