BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Help me decide between these two Astra Militarum lists! [1850]

So I've been wanting to get backinto the game after a long hiatus. I really like the AM, almost too much! I have decided I want an insanely unbalanced list, no half measures. So I'm asking anyone for their opinion one which list is more competitive, which would be more fun, and if there's any sugestions to improve either list. I intend to begin on one, then work on theother on my way to 3700 of sweet sweet flashlight death. So without further ado:

The Human Tide

HQ - 135

Command squad
    -regimental banner
    -vox

2x Commissar

Troops - 1125

infantry platoon
    -vox

+3 infantry squads
    combined
    -vox

+3 heavy weapon squad
    -3x lascannons

infantry platoon
    -vox

+3 infantry squads
    combined
    -vox

infantry platoon
    -vox

+3 infantry squads
    combined
    -vox

Veteran Squad
    -3x plasma gun
    -camo&mines
    -vox

Veteran Squad
    -3x plasma gun
    -camo&mines
    -vox

Heavy Support -130

2x wyvern battery

Fortification -85

ADL
    -icarus lascannon

Psyops (From Mont'ka)-305

Primas Psyker
    lvl 2

Wyrdvane Psykers
    -commissar

Wyrdvane Psykers
    -commissar

Wyrdvane Psykers
    -commissar

162 models!

The plan for this is to form a massive firing line between two objectives with a 30 man squad with the nearby company command with standard keeping their moral in check, (And to have a vet operating the icarus at BS4) a platoon command to help issue more orders, a battery of 9 lascannons, and the Psyops detachment from mont'ka rolling on divination giving them all sorts of nice abilities like re-roll to hits, ignore cover and rend. Combined with orders, this could be deadly. (first shot second shot giving 90 rerollable s3 rending ignore cover shots would be lol. Or the same to the lascannons.) The ADL gives them all a 4+ cover, 2+ if they go to ground, and can get back up to shoot on their turn with the right order. The other two platoons act as moving cover for he plasma vets, who would get a 4+ behind the 30 man infantry squad cover with camo, 3+ if they go to ground. Either the run or run&shoot order should get them to any objectives they need to get too. The plasma should take out anything too nasty coming their way. These two 30 man squads will have a commissar to keep them from running. I shouldn't have to move too much, since 5 rolls on divination should give me scriers gaze so I can pick and choose my objectives. (And then drop 50 guys on it.)

In the exact opposite corner, we have

The Mechanized Division

Emporer's Fist Armoured company (Mont'ka)

Tank Comander Pask - 440
    3x Leman Russ Punisher
    -Kabe's Herald

Enginseer - 45
    -Melta bombs

Leman Russ Demolisher Squad - 555
    3x Demolisher
    -Camo

Leman Russ Battle Tank - 150

Leman Russ Battle Tank - 150

Emporer's Spear Arial Company (Mont'ka)

3x Vendettas - 510

12 models

Nothing too dainty here. Line break with the squad of demolishers with the punishers in tow to mop up. (Being so close the demos would get the benefits of the tank orders aswell, allowing them to move quickly or fire and pop smoke, giving them AV 14 and a 4+ invunerable save with smoke and camo. Also, Pask's prefered enemy ability and the formations BS of 4 make the 60 punisher rounds and 3 S10 AP1 plates really scary.) The Battle versions protect the flanks, and the air support will all show up turn two providing at least one of them makes their reserve roll, giving me 9 TL lascannons to pop hard nuts with.

So fellow armchair generals, which list would you prefer to take? Or prefer not to play against I suppose as well haha.
    Last edited by slip; 03-26-2016 at 06:34 AM.

I like the second list better, the first list looks nice but I noticed a bit of a lack of anti-tank capability. If your 2nd list were to face off against the first list, I don't see the first list having any chance of winning against all that armor, whereas the 2nd list can chew through infantry rather easily with.

I suggest for the second list you take out the battle tanks (or 2 demolishers) and just have 3 separate tanks to attack with, add the veterans from the first list to the 2nd list to replace those leman russes. Then you'll have more options on the field
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts