BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Macragge PDF

Librarian

I am doing a similar thing.i am in the process of buildin an Ultramar PDF army - 8th regiment( i konw Ultramar isn't a planet but it has a nice ring to it).

Basic main colour Scheme is -

Astronomican Grey for the fatigues and vehicle base colour.
    Mordian Blue for the armour and picked out areas on vehicles.
    Charadon Granite for boots and weapon cowlings.

I am using up all my old Ultramarine Transfers i have collected form my 12,000 point Ultramarine army that have never been used.

It being the 8th regiemnt it allows me to use the scuplted Cadian banners with a bit of filing.
    i would post photos but my digital camera is playing up.
    Last edited by david5th; 05-13-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

As a suggestion to getting marines in this army, true scale scouts might be cool as ogryn, or scout bikers as rough riders... I am reluctant to actually suggest full battle brothers, because frankly it would be a bit of a slap in the face to demote them to those stat lines... but scouts training with the PDF? Thats fairly plausible I think...

Chaplain

Hi everybody,

Cheers for all the positive feedback, glad you like them as I have had a lot of fun building and painting them.

And yes although I am not sure if I could ever actually get any full fledged Astartes in this army I am sure there will be a way to get some Scouts in.

The Scout bikes as Rough Riders is actually an idea I am keen on, so I may well follow that up.

Ok so I have a couple more shots of the Command Squad, and then I will start posting pics of my Troos so far.

Hardened Veteran with Melta Gun. (still work in progress)

Once again apologies for the bad pics, I have better ones of my troops I promise. Just couldn't get the camera to play nicely when I photographed these guys.

As you can see being a Vet he has a white helmet as per the Codex Astartes, but also has a white shoulder stripe which also conforms to the Codex Astartes, but has caused some confusion as it is also the sign of Conscripts in other IG armies.

To rectify this I will be painting a small Crux Terminatus in the middle of the white stripe, but I need to wait until I am feeling confident in my freehanding skills!

Command Squad so far:

And this is the HQ as it stands right now. I have also assembled 2 body guards for this squad but only finished assembling them last night, so they aren't even undercoated yet.

The rest of the squad looks like this:

Iron Hand Straken
    Medic
    3 x Melta Guns
    1 x Chaplain (Priest)
    1 x Officer of the Fleet
    2 x Body Guards.

These guys will also be getting a Vendetta as Transport, which I am starting this weekend.

Next up will be some pics of my Troops.

Cheers.

Veteran-Sergeant

You have beautiful mini's with excellent conversions. There is just enough change to make the army feel unique and flavorful without it feeling ridiculous, and you seem to paint pretty well also.

Keep up the great work, and make sure to keep us updated!

Chaplain

Cheers Fasted,

I really wanted to do something different from my Cadians, but as you say I didn't want to do anything too way out, so I'm glad that's come across.

The plan was to be able to use units from my Macragge PDF with my Cadians and my Ultramarines, so anything too OTT would stand out a bit, but I think there are enough subtle elements to bring the Marine theme through without them losing their identity as Imperial Guard.

So I also have some pics of my Troops.

Once again these aren't finished yet, my plan is to get 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices done, so I am working through the Command Sqaud plus a Penal Legionnaire Squad and an Infantry Platoon.

So first up is the Infantry Platoon.

Squad 1

I still have a fair bit left to do on these guys. The Heavy Weapons team need to be attached to their base (I paint them seperately), and their Autocannon needs painting too.

Then I have to paint their webbing, las guns, grenades etc, but they are pretty much done.

Once again following the Codex Astartes they have the Tactical Squad symbol on their shoulder pads, and sergeants have red helmets.

These guys will also be mounted in a Chimera, which I have started painting but haven't got very far with unfortunately, but I'll post some pics of that next.

Cheers for looking.

Veteran-Sergeant

They are bootyful.

Top notch, and I love their keeping to the Codex Astartes theme too.

I can't wait to see more pics dude, everything looks great so far. Keep up the great work!

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

nice mate, Just a note, the worship of the emperor varies significantly from chapter to chapter. Still thats a hell of a concept for a priest and I like it.

Librarian

Hello StraightSilver.

Just a question, are you using the full codex or are doing and limiting was can be used?
    I am not using any of the following -

Primaris Psyker - i don't Ultramar high command would allow any outside psykers and anyone who did show psyhic potential would either be in the Ultramarines or dead.

Ministorum Priests - i don't think the people or Ultramar would need anymore religious encouragement.

Ogryns or Ratlings - no mutants.

Psyker Battle squad - same as Primaris Psyker.

Penal Legion - can't think of reason.

Rough Riders - feels antiquated for a realm such as Ultramar.

I am however using lots of tanks and infantry.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Chaplain

Cheers everybody, and apologies for the lack of updates recently but work has been keeping me busy so I haven't had a chance to post.

@ david5th: Yes I am thinking along the same lines as you to be honest, and so am restricting myself to using most of the Codex but not all of it.

I have ruled out the use of Abhumans which means no Ogryns and no Ratlings, which is a shame but not too bad as I rarely use either in any case. My vision of Ultramar is an idyllic, aspirational one which Marneus calgar hopes will be a shining example to the rest of the Imperium, as Guilliman would have wished. Therefore unfortunately there isn't really a palce for abhumans, who are really just tolerated mutants.

I have also ruled out Penal Troops as such, as I see the judiciary system of Ultramar very different from the rest of the Imperium. However I couldn't leave them out of the army as they are one of thebest units in the new Codex so I have included some "counts as" Penal Troops. These are in fact Special Forces Recon Scouts, trained at Agisellus alongside the Astartes Initiates.

I didn't rule out Psykers though, as the Ultramarines don't seem to share the same trepidation as other Chapters regarding psykers, so I have in mind a unit of psykers, but rather than being Imperial sanctioned Psykers these will be my "Librarius", again made up of failed aspirants who survived the trials at Agisellus, but nevertheless went on to serve Ultramar elsewhere.

And I think everything else is fair game, my Rough Riders will be converted from Marine Scout Bikes at some point, but the main chunk of the army will be mechanised, so lots of tanks for me too.

OK so I have more pics:

Infantry Squad 2:

Again I haven't finished these yet, but I am trying to get as much done to my HQ and 2 Troops done so that I can game with them, and will then go back and finishe them off.

So same as before, sergeant, plasma gun and autocannon team in this squad.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast