BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Is Erik the PP fanboy we were waiting for?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Nah.

Just another person with seemingly no business experience deciding they know best.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Hmm... I seem to have removed my comments about PP, so let me put them back here: I'm not a fan of PP's prices regardless of their having a better excuse due to materials, and don't play their games. Had I believed the original post that they were doing exactly the same as GW, I was going to throw them under the same bus... and had, but then I decided to look up the story more before commenting. I'm not "PP fanboy," and certainly not as much as both of you are GW fanboys with no business experience deciding you know best.

Your dismissive, offensive attitudes to those who don't bow in worship at the altar of GW - even those of us who will criticize other companies - is not helpful to reasonable discussion. Turn off your fanboyism for a moment, or just admit you're as much "trolls" as you claim others are.

That is, if you care about honest discussion. But this is the Internet, so probably not.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny thing is, I had two Mormons stop at my apartment last night (killed about an hour of my time allocated for trying to build an Old-West-inspired settlement in Fallout), and they reacted to my having different opinions a lot better than GW fanboys and GW trolls do, even though I pretty much told them I don't believe in their prophet and reiterated that I don't have any desire to join any church. (I did, however, back up my arguments with explanations and using scripture, as I do here.) Think about that: Religious fanatics are more willing to listen to dissenting opinions than you guys are. Amazing, isn't it?

I don't worship GW, in fact I haven't bought one of their products for six months, and haven't played it in as long. You're the one accusing people of being fanboys because they can appreciate the business sense behind a particular decision. I just implied you were a fanboy due to an ironic sense of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Your addendum is just more of you accusing anyone with different opinions as being a GW troll/fanboy, wrapped up in, "gosh, look how enlightened and accepting I am!"
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Except of course I agree with PPs decision, I agree with FFGs decision and I agree with GWs decision because one needs to be consistent, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I've also worked in this particular business.
    Last edited by grimmas; 03-31-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chaplain

Now the only thing I need is a local shop opening near me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    I don't worship GW, in fact I haven't bought one of their products for six months, and haven't played it in as long. You're the one accusing people of being fanboys because they can appreciate the business sense behind a particular decision.
    No. I'm "accusing people of being fanboys" because the thread opened right up with tossing out the terms "fanboys" and "trolls" toward people who supposedly act toward a company the same way that the people tossing out the terms act toward GW.

I appreciate the business sense of this decision, but I also think GW's decision - which is different, as you'll note if you read PP's press release - is the wrong way to do things. I can appreciate the concept, but I think GW's execution was poor. Given, though, that they have their own retail side of their business, many of their decisions are driven by the desire to funnel sales directly to them, and trying to nix online sales would in theory push people to their web-store... much like having "web-store exclusives" does the same.

While I think PP did this one right (only after reading the method being used... and if they're being dishonest about that, I'll be ready to criticize that), I disagree with them on other things, and barely have any PP products (only having the ones I do because at one point my dad wanted to try to get into the games years ago, and recently I grabbed the starter box because a friend wanted to try it).

I'm also not saying I'm "enlightened" or "accepting." More than the GW fanboy trolls are so petty toward anyone who dares criticize GW that it makes religious zealots seem accepting when it comes to differing opinions.

I'm sick of being called a "GW hater" for example, when I *have* been spending money with them. I've even got some of the AoS books (at least four of them, which will soon be six, and then eight when I can work out the finances, but finding $140 isn't easy). My criticism isn't out of hate or being some fan of another company or trolling the GW zealots, it's because I want GW to stick around and grow again and spread this part of the hobby to more people.

But it does draw my ire when the same people who praise anything GW does while bashing other companies then turn around and suggest that people who prefer another company over GW are "fanboys" and "trolls." It's even more annoying when that comment was based on ignorance about the topic at hand which could have been solved with a very simple Google search.

Brother-Captain

No one is actually bashing another company. In fact they all in fact seem to be in favour of it. What we're doing is mocking the abuse GW recieved for very similar policies. Yes there are some differences but I certainly believe those differences are in GWs favour as they will better achieve the stated aims.

The reason we give you stick is that you will very loudly and lengthily criticise GWs policy regardless of what they are, including giving free product on large sales made by customers (free limited ed Space Marine) and when trade partners make bulk orders (incidentally 30% extra on $500 order is massive) which are pretty standard offers to make. I noticed you were very supportive of FFGs no online with no store policy even when they let the mega discounters (Amazon) still do it.

I don't think you are a PP fanboy you've never mentioned it as far as I know but you're whole stance on this seems to be to try and find the negative (and you do try hard) in any GW move whilst not affording the same scrutiny to anyone else.

In short it's not your opinion that I take issue with its your justification which seems neither balanced or fair.

Oh and if you want to see me moan about a GW business descion go back and see what I said about the single staff stores.

I scrutinize others just the same. GW just happens to be the most talked about here, and I don't have much interest in PP (mainly because it'd be too expensive to jump into at this point, if I could even find the elusive local community that seems to be sizable), whereas I do have interest in GW games. People discuss what they have interest in. It's that simple.

I've never seen FFG's policy to comment on it. I know I can get any FFG product at a solid discount. Amazon's the obvious culprit, but there's a chain in Florida with an online store that beats even Amazon often (though they *do* have physical locations, which also have a lot of folding tables set up for people to play card, board, and role-playing games). I can get FFG games, with or without a discount, easier than I can get GW games (except, funny enough, I can't get FFG's GW-based games in a GW store... that's just ridiculous, and something GW should work out a deal to correct, because it'd put a lot more variety of stock on their shelves that they could get a pretty nice chunk of change from while strengthening their partnership with FFG, a win-win).

I criticize GW because I care. Probably more than the people who accuse me of hating.

Anyway, given that GW fanboys and GW trolls will go off on other companies for things they support with GW, perhaps pointing out the hypocrisy inherent in all of that is a bad decision?

This topic would have been much better without fanboys/trolls opening up with shots at other people and just sticking to the story (and improved further if the slightest research had been done prior to said original post).

Brother-Captain

You did write at length on the front page in support of FFGs policy, which I agreed with. Trust me I remember it I wouldn't make it up.

I also believe that you aren't all that interested in PP stuff you certainly haven't mentioned it.

I will pose this question though:

How would you react if GW attempted to control the price an independent stockist sold there products at after they'd bought them because that's what PP are doing on top of the restrictions already in place that the Lobster-Overlord has already told us. Be honest I don't think you'd be happy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast