BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

tbh I forgot BOLS had a frontpage at all. I only really visit this forum cos of the dozen or so of you I actually like. Otherwise I prefer FB for my internet life these days.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

The homepage is handy as a story aggregate system, but the recent trend of breaking stories up into chunks or posting a new post just to add one new sentence of information is getting a bit tiring. Could wear down the readership, which would then actually cause them to lose more ad revenue than they're making off of the multi-post stories.

I know most people get their news and communication from Facebook groups now. I do. Forums are going the way of the dial-up modem and MySpace, sadly.

It kinda helps that I can look at a post about new releases being teased, and it's one post, not six, and it's not coated with ads or intermingled with terrible attempts at comedy and reposts from Lexicanum.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

And the comment section on the frontpage is currently filled with whiny children screaming about how the SJW are ruining their fun. Why? Because an article pointed out that using sexist language like "*****", "*****" or "I totally raped him in that game!" makes you are arsehole, and also drives women away from gaming stores and clubs.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Had to see that coming the moment the author put that point in.

Still, I think they didn't help their case on any of their points by having the handle "AbusePuppy" and using language that wasn't entirely conducive to a productive discussion.

Doesn't excuse people going a bit nuts on that, though.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Oh, AbusePuppy runs 3PlusPlus. It's a site few read.

Gotta love angry nerds though. Yelling about how 'SJWs' are ruining their fun, how unfair it is to have small, spoken things ruin your enjoyment of a locale and hobby, and how OVERSENSITIVE SJWs are.

They appear to be immune to irony. Must be all the hypocrisy.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

First-Captain

Seriously you'd think people posting crewd and unpleasent comments on 'front page news' posts would be acutally into the hobby they are posting about.....

Because I expect the people who are really into the hobby would be spending their valuable time model making, painting and playing rather then typing LOL
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Brother-Captain

I have someone explaining to me in a comment thread on that post that women don't play wargaming, and the ones that do don't care about all that 'lack of diversity' stuff, and that he's totally an authority because he's listened to the tiny number of women that play in the same places he does.

In the interests of my own sanity I've chosen not to engage further, because arseholes like that don't listen, but it's really tempting to point out that the tiny sample size he has means he's wrong; if he were playing in a healthy wargaming environment, he'd find more women, because it's not as if we're the rare unicorns male nerds make us out to be. We just don't play in places filled with people who make it clear they don't want us there.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Also, given the reaction women get if you say you DO care, I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of those women who say they don't care are saying that because they don't want to be mansplained to at best or harassed at worst.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

I've gotten hate mail over my comments on that article. Post has been reported, I'm not linking it because those toerags don't deserve credit, but apparently the BoSL frontpage is becoming more like other sites. Damnit. And I thought this was one of the safest wargaming sites.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast