BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Booraem VI View Post
    Hmm, that's an interesting take on things. Granted I do not have the current version of the Imperial Guard Codex (the one called Astra Militarum), but I do have the 5th or so edition (paperback) codex. It says that

An Infantry Platoon (note: Infantry and Platoon are both capitalized) consists of a Command Squad... and from 2 to 5 Infantry squads.

Each Platoon counts as a single Troops choice on the Force Organization chart...

As such, I always interpreted that to mean that, no, you may not field a single Infantry squad. In fact, there is no mention of any squad that can be fielded by itself other than Veterans and Armored Fist squads. Since those are both of the "infantry" type, I figured that the formation was intended to give the player a fairly high-quality unit with Veterans combined with the commissar and the tank.
    It is a little bit different in the new book, and a lot different in the epub book. The Platoon itself is set up the same, however each Squad has an Army List Entry, and aside from a slightly encompassing border, provides no link to them being ONLY available via an Infantry Platoon.

This is a little bit different from the 5th Edition codex in which the Platoon and its squads were held in a huge completely encompassing black field.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    You're right that when building a list normally, you need to build the Platoon as-per the Platoon structure, though said structure is a little different in the more recent Codex. In Formations, however, you may simply field the specific units mentioned.
    If you are building a Platoon, this is correct. However, nothing requires these Squads to ONLY be purchased via Platoon. Search as you might in the codex, you will find nothing on this. Remember, when something "may" be done does not mean it "must" be done or "only done" that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    If you are building a Platoon, this is correct. However, nothing requires these Squads to ONLY be purchased via Platoon. Search as you might in the codex, you will find nothing on this. Remember, when something "may" be done does not mean it "must" be done or "only done" that way.
    You do, you can only take these units, in the Codex, as part of a Platoon, and said Platoon has a certain structure. If these units are referenced in a Formation, then they may be taken without the requisite other units that a Platoon demands.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Banned

You do, you can only take these units, in the Codex, as part of a Platoon, and said Platoon has a certain structure. If these units are referenced in a Formation, then they may be taken without the requisite other units that a Platoon demands.
    And where does it state that these units may only be taken in an Infantry Platoon?

If I remember correctly, the word "only" is never mentioned in this entire section in regards to Army List Entries. These Army List Entries are only stated as "may" be part of an Infantry Platoon. The Infantry Platoon organizational rules do not state that any of these entries may only be taken in this manner, just they may be taken as part of a Platoon. "May" is not an indicator of "only this way".
    Last edited by Charistoph; 04-05-2016 at 11:48 AM.

I'd reference my Codex if it wasn't buried in the attic with the rest of my 40K. AFAIK, it was always you may take 1 PCS, 2-5 IS, then like, up to six SWS and HWS. I haven't played in six months, though, but I played the Guard Codex since it dropped, and I've never seen someone say you don't have to use the Platoon structure up 'til now. Not in a single Tactica, advice article or army list from anyone.

Banned

I'd reference my Codex if it wasn't buried in the attic with the rest of my 40K. AFAIK, it was always you may take 1 PCS, 2-5 IS, then like, up to six SWS and HWS. I haven't played in six months, though, but I played the Guard Codex since it dropped, and I've never seen someone say you don't have to use the Platoon structure up 'til now. Not in a single Tactica, advice article or army list from anyone.
    It's a question that has cropped up now and then, usually with the Conscript Squad. Realistically, outside of a Formation, only the Conscript Squad is of any use alone, since the rest are just too small to be useful on their own and you cannot use Combined Squad for the Infantry Squads.

But again, permission to be included in something is not a limitation to ONLY be taken in that something, especially when it is presented in the same method as other options of the same. The Squads Army List Entries are set up the same as the Ratling and Veteran Squads, with the exception of the note of allowing its use in the Infantry Platoon.

Which also adds another point. If it can only be taken as part of an Infantry Platoon, why make an ALE note that it may be taken as part of the Infantry Platoon?
    Last edited by Charistoph; 04-07-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Okay, dug my Codex out last night, and it stipulates that you must, in bold no less, you must take 1 Platoon Command Squad, and at least 2 Infantry Squads. It also states you make take 1 PCS, 2-5 IS, 0-5 HWS, 0-3 SWS and 0-1 Conscripts.

The Platoon is structured in the same way as Servitors are for Techpriests, in that you can only take the Servitors if you take Techpriests, because the box is greyed out.

Brother-Captain

We should all remember that Formations are outside the normal rules regarding the FoC. If the composition of a formation is different from what's written in a codex, then that's just how it is. No use arguing about it.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Banned

Okay, dug my Codex out last night, and it stipulates that you must, in bold no less, you must take 1 Platoon Command Squad, and at least 2 Infantry Squads. It also states you make take 1 PCS, 2-5 IS, 0-5 HWS, 0-3 SWS and 0-1 Conscripts.

The Platoon is structured in the same way as Servitors are for Techpriests, in that you can only take the Servitors if you take Techpriests, because the box is greyed out.
    Quote it properly. This is only for when creating an Infantry Platoon. Just as much as Warriors and Immortals are required for a Reclamation Legion, doesn't mean I have to take both Warriors and Immortals when creating a Necron Combined Arms Detachment.

A requirement or option for one Choice does not necessarily translate down the pipe. Do I have to take Terminators in order to field a Land Raider? May I only take Taurox when fielding Stormtroopers?

So, this is only a requirement for the Infantry Platoon, not the Squads that make up the Infantry Platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    We should all remember that Formations are outside the normal rules regarding the FoC. If the composition of a formation is different from what's written in a codex, then that's just how it is. No use arguing about it.
    You're absolutely right, and I want to correct myself. Earlier I stated that the Formation lists an "infantry squad" and felt that the lower case indicated a type of unit, instead of a specific unit. Having looked at the card again more closely, I was completely wrong, and it is in fact an "Infantry Squad," which is unmistakable.

EDIT: However, it being an "Infantry Squad" does make me a sad panda, because I REALLY liked using a Veteran squad of Grenadiers with 3 plasma guns in this formation.
    Last edited by Hendrik Booraem VI; 04-08-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Quote it properly. This is only for when creating an Infantry Platoon. Just as much as Warriors and Immortals are required for a Reclamation Legion, doesn't mean I have to take both Warriors and Immortals when creating a Necron Combined Arms Detachment.

A requirement or option for one Choice does not necessarily translate down the pipe. Do I have to take Terminators in order to field a Land Raider? May I only take Taurox when fielding Stormtroopers?

So, this is only a requirement for the Infantry Platoon, not the Squads that make up the Infantry Platoon.
    But you were saying you could take Infantry Squads as a Troops choice earlier? I already said in my first reply that when using a Formation, it just takes the specified squad, then you started commenting how that was wrong.

To simplify it, formations can take the specified unit, and just that unit. No others necessary. In the Guard Codex, when building a standard CAD, you can only take units in the Platoon if you adhere to the Platoon structure.

You're right that when building a list normally, you need to build the Platoon as-per the Platoon structure, though said structure is a little different in the more recent Codex. In Formations, however, you may simply field the specific units mentioned.
    You basically repeated what I said, but with awkward wording to make it sound like you were countering my point, which is mostly what you said minus a few errors on your part.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast