BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Small games - unit actions

I have had the odd game with my son where it is unit v unit. Usually my Dar against his IG. 150 points would give me a Guardian unit with a HW and Warlock. He can field two or 3 IG/AM vets for that. It then becomes a fighting patrol or scouting mission.

The other one I am trying to get him in on is hunt the sniper. One side has a sniper who can't be shot at until he is spotted. But shooting does not reveal him, it is a roll of a dice starting with the need for a 6 to spot him. He is even allowed to move if he is not spotted, but with the normal restrictions.

All our games are on city scape so lots of cover, and movement is always difficult. Also the searching squad has to divide up like a standard army squad. 2 Scouts, Hvy team, command unit and rifle, (Catapult?) squad. This allows splitting of team into sub units while retaining some of the coherency rules.

I know its a little different from the 2000 point games I read a lot on, but it can be fun all the same.

How do you think you would chase the sniper.

Chapter-Master

I think there used to be some rules for patrolling guards and spotting the enemy - mebbe about 4th ed for combat patrol? I think it was within range of initiative or something, so I4=4" spotting range.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Another option would be to take inspiration from Necromunda's Raid scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I think there used to be some rules for patrolling guards and spotting the enemy - mebbe about 4th ed for combat patrol? I think it was within range of initiative or something, so I4=4" spotting range.
    Yes, 4th ed rulebook, the Kill Team rules though, not Combat Patrol.

To the OP, you might be interested in these rules my club maintains for Kill Team style games:

[url]http://rocketshipgames.com/40k/recon-squad/[/url]

We also have a campaign book with a bunch of different mission scenarios for those games:

[url]http://rocketshipgames.com/40k/legacies/[/url]

The sniper mission you talk about is an interesting idea.
    http://www.rocketshipgames.com/blogs/tjkopena/

Chaplain

Smile

We have since play tested the sniper game and have decided that it needs 3 to 5 snipers operating independantly. One gets pinned down and caught a little to easily. Though it costs the other side some casualties. I have done some simple addendum rules, like if a part of the unit is separated from the main squad, takes casualties and fails to spot the sniper they have to fall back. Also there has to be an objective for the non sniper team. 3 blip tokens, one of which is the real one. This can then divide their attention and make life a little harder.

Thanks for the posts though. Some of that stuff is interesting and I have 4th Ed rules to read up on
    Last edited by Da Gargoyle; 04-23-2016 at 07:55 PM.