BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Librarian

I don't think they're going to undo the bad feelings they've earned from former WFB players. There are a lot of them.

I know a lot of people who were considering trying out AoS, and then found out that the rules were... incomplete.

I sincerely hope that the rules for point values becomes part of the free rulebook, because I know people who I think would check it out, but aren't going to drop money on AoS unless they like it.

Even if it isn't, a $35 rulebook for the rest of the game's rules isn't terrible.

www.GardenNinja.com

First-Captain

Age of Sigmar has such a nice, positive and encouraging community that I worry that would be ruined by letting the old guard back in. I think part of what they did was a house clearing, they got rid of a lot of the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
    Even if it isn't, a $35 rulebook for the rest of the game's rules isn't terrible.
    So far, pretty much every book printed for the game (I say "pretty much" because I don't personally know it's 100%, but it is for all of the books I have - some of the campaign books and all four GA books) has had the rules printed in it for easy reference. I imagine this book will also include them, so it'd be a "complete rulebook." And if you play armies limited to a single mega-faction, you can have this book and the GA book as your full reference. I've heard $25 for this book, but even going with $35, the most expensive GA book would still mean you're dropping $68 total on rules for the game with varying methods of play and rules for a metric butt ton of units. Compared to 40K's $85 rulebook that now wants to tack on $58, before you even get into the codices... Yeah, there's still some lessons to be learned. But anyway, that's not an insane price to pay for having all the rules you'll ever need.

Of course, if you still don't like the way the game plays, that doesn't help you much. (Like my friend who wants to play ranked fantasy combat. Luckily, $40 will get him the KoW rulebook with army lists, so he can use his models there. Or 9th Age for no cost, which he's interested in after hearing a local guy was working on it.)

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Age of Sigmar has such a nice, positive and encouraging community that I worry that would be ruined by letting the old guard back in. I think part of what they did was a house clearing, they got rid of a lot of the garbage.
    There might be an element of that. The whole scene was a little bit gunked up and somewhat elitist. I notice the DBAD rule is draconianly enforced. Even in tournaments where it's been mentioned how relaxed they are.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    There might be an element of that. The whole scene was a little bit gunked up and somewhat elitist. I notice the DBAD rule is draconianly enforced. Even in tournaments where it's been mentioned how relaxed they are.
    Really an unfounded comment by him (no surprise given the source). The AoS crowd is no nicer or more positive or encouraging than the WFB crowd. The "old guard" are plenty nice fellows, and while some of them can be prone to being negative, so can many AoS community members.

Taking shots at the people who could help keep the game afloat isn't a good thing, and doesn't show off that "nice, positive, and encouraging" attitude, so maybe let's not do that?
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 05-05-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Heh. Garbage that was paying their bills apparently.

Librarian

There's the hitch with the DBAD rule: most of the time, people break it when they enforce it.

www.GardenNinja.com

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by odinsgrandson View Post
    There's the hitch with the DBAD rule: most of the time, people break it when they enforce it.
    Possibly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    Really an unfounded comment by him (no surprise given the source). The AoS crowd is no nicer or more positive or encouraging than the WFB crowd. The "old guard" are plenty nice fellows, and while some of them can be prone to being negative, so can many AoS community members.

Taking shots at the people who could help keep the game afloat isn't a good thing, and doesn't show off that "nice, positive, and encouraging" attitude, so maybe let's not do that?
    What it's you say Your Millage My Millage. I've seen very little negativity from AoS community members .
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

What it's you say Your Millage My Millage. I've seen very little negativity from AoS community members .
    Maybe thinking of "YMMV -> "Your Mileage May Vary" (i.e. "your experience may differ"). In the gameplay, I haven't seen any less than I did from people playing WFB. Online, I've seen plenty of AoS community members get salty about any criticism of the game (not talking people who pop up just to complain about the game). There were also all the people who said "You're playing it wrong" if you don't play it like they do.

The shot against the WFB community and the "old guard" is itself a display of negativity. The attitude that people coming into the game and helping support it and keep it around is somehow bad is, itself, negativity.

At the end of the day, they're still gamers, and a lot of the AoS community, if not the majority, is made up of people who were part of the WFB community. So this whole "us vs. them" vibe is kind of weird, a lot of hypocrisy, and just silly because, again, they're all gamers, and gamers can get pretty riled up at times. It's something you see in any passionate group.

Having written one of the comp systems that was used until the official points announcement, I will say that I had a decent amount of vitriol sent my way from the AOS community for "encouraging people to play AOS the wrong way". I had a guy on facebook track my name down and find my phone number and start text harassing me, and i had quite a few private facebook messages sent from jokers who were sending trolling memes because I pushed for comp and not "officialdom".

I've seen quite a bit of negativity from AOS community members. I'd say equal amounts of it. In the end gamers are gamers and in the end a lot of the AOS community were former WHFB people who were just as prone to negativity and hyperbole as anyone.

That being said - being a part of a group that supports your hobby is vital and keeps interest up and there is also a fair amount of that as well. My point in posting is just to say that the current AOS community is not less hostile than the old whfb community was; I find them to be roughly the same in terms of hostility level.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast