BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

All looking good, will have to see if I can Savage up one of those Wyverns as wanna keep my Orruk army with its stone age theme if possible.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    All looking good, will have to see if I can Savage up one of those Wyverns as wanna keep my Orruk army with its stone age theme if possible.
    Will need to see if I can get pics of my Savage Orc Wyvern. It's in my local store's display cabinet, and has been for like, 8 years or so (how time flies!)

Base is the High Elf Dragon. Forearms left off, tail and head from the old Wyvern Kit (pre-Azhag one). Warboss is strapped in under the neck with just his feets sticking out one end, the other from the shoulders up. Stops him getting over excited and jumping off, innit.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Great conversion material for 40K, but as fantasy Orcs go, they feel off. Not just because GW's recent run of beasts look messy and like the work of junior sculptors* (because they probably are). Nah, the Wyvern (and oh yeah, it's totally a Wyvern) isn't looking good here, albeit maybe just the photos. But the Orcs themselves feel just "wrong."

Bigger Orcs? Okay, fine. Age of Biggening means they have to be bigger... though the fluff is annoying because suddenly Black Orcs lost what made them special (being the biggest breed of Orcs).

It's the armor. Small parts of it, like the iron gob, feel right. But there's too much smooth armor that looks like it's designed to mimic Sigmarine armor. That just seems so peculiar to see on Orcs. I'm not one for the concept that Orcs are just mindless savages (hated when 3rd edition 40K briefly made people think that of Orks), but I love their stuff looking like it's kind of cobbled together.

Maybe they'll look better close up. I hope so. The Megaboss will be a 40K Megaboss, certainly. Barely even have to convert him. The rest might at least be conversion material. They might be solid, if the shots look better, but the art still feels off, and it's the best we have to go on.

Feels weird to see Orcs and not feel excited. (And no, it's not just because they're AoS Orcs. I've got a bunch of Orcs I hadn't assembled yet that I put on round bases to have an AoS Orc army. They're just kind of playing second fiddle to the Dwarfs and combined Nurgle/Pestilens I'm working on.)

*Sorry, I'm never going to like creatures with messy anatomy, angles where there should be curves, and way too much of an attempt to look like D&D 3E dragons. I'd also like to see them try something other than a lizard. The big beasties are my biggest pet peeve with the current sculpting team, especially as we know from the past GW can do so much better.

Completely agree with Eric. I believe that the 40fication of fantasy is all part of the plan and that we are moving quickly to an age of just one game. It's a logical step for GW to take...why make customers choose which toys to buy when they can put all their eggs in the same basket.
    I really don't like these figures. I thought the orcs were going to be more savage and bestial...disssapointed again.

As others have commented on the front page, it's kind of hard to tell from the pics, particularly given the lairy paintjob - Yellow Orcs is very much a 40k association, as Fantasy Orcs tend to be a far darker palette for the most part.

As for them being biggerer than Black Orcs, that's something definitely more 40k. Warhammer Orcs never had the sliding scale of bigness in their range. Been a long time since we had specific models for Big'uns. Background wise they've been the same - the longer you don't get perished, the bigger you get, only stalling when someone krumps you into line.

These guys? From the dodgy photos, they look to be Black Orc Big'uns equivalent. Orcs that have fought and got bigger as a tribe, where even their basic Boyz are Black Orcs.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

yeah, I think the models would look better with a more brown or black scheme, yellow doesnt feel very fantasyish to me..look forward to seeing more as it will of been 3 full weeks of no new miniatures.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

Yep bright yellow doesn't say fantasy to me. I do like a heavily armoured Orruk though. I'll wait to get look at it before I make any judgement

Also there ain't to much different between basic Ork boyz and basic Orruk boys at the moment anyway and it's pretty much their armaments.
    Last edited by grimmas; 04-13-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

This is Age of Sigmar though, not Warhammer Fantasy. Tell the many coloured Stormcast that they aren't correct for the setting.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

You may regret typing that

No, because I just ignore long posts as I assume they're not making any relevant point.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast