BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Another stupid question!

I know, I'm the master of stupid questions. But since I tend to play an infantry-heavy meta, tanks, walkers, and super-heavies are causing me all kinds of questions.

Can Superheavy walkers be locked in close combat by infantry? This situation came up a couple of weeks ago when I had a terminator squad in close combat with an Imperial Knight. The other player and I decided that it made no sense for a 50-foot-tall iron giant to be locked in close combat by 5 guys in power armor, but that the guys in power armor couldn't just walk away because the Knight was too dangerous. In short, I ruled that my squad was locked in close combat, but the knight could hit-and-run.

However, I don't see anything in the rulebook that justifies that, so I'm asking what the general interpretation of the rules is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Booraem VI View Post
    I know, I'm the master of stupid questions. But since I tend to play an infantry-heavy meta, tanks, walkers, and super-heavies are causing me all kinds of questions.

Can Superheavy walkers be locked in close combat by infantry? This situation came up a couple of weeks ago when I had a terminator squad in close combat with an Imperial Knight. The other player and I decided that it made no sense for a 50-foot-tall iron giant to be locked in close combat by 5 guys in power armor, but that the guys in power armor couldn't just walk away because the Knight was too dangerous. In short, I ruled that my squad was locked in close combat, but the knight could hit-and-run.

However, I don't see anything in the rulebook that justifies that, so I'm asking what the general interpretation of the rules is.
    Yes, but, unless the Terminator Squad in question had Fearless, they could always use "Our Weapons are Useless," to withdraw from the combat. And really, the odds of winning a prolonged close combat are in the favour of the Knight, what with its access to Close Combat Destroyer Weapons and with Stomp, wounding 90% of the Infantry you come across on a 2+, if not killing them outright, so why would you leave?

Brother-Sergeant

I had the same question awhile back

[URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?58263-Super-Heavy-Walkers-and-Locked-in-Combat"]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?58263-Super-Heavy-Walkers-and-Locked-in-Combat[/URL]

Andrew is completely correct.

But there are exceptions - IIRC the Warlord Titan in 30k cannot be locked in combat
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Banned

For the Rules breakdown review: Assault Phase > Locked in Combat > Second Paragraph; Vehicles > Walkers > Walkers and Assault > First Paragraph; and Vehicles > Super-Heavy Vehicles > Super-Heavy Walkers > Second Paragraph.

In short, Super-Heavy Walkers follow the rules for Walkers. Walkers get Locked in Combat like Infantry. While Locked in Combat, you cannot move except to Pile-In (Hit & Run bypasses this of course).
    Last edited by Charistoph; 04-11-2016 at 03:56 PM.

My terminators were, in fact, Fearless. And they not only survived going a round with the Knight (it was a ... um, the one with all the guns and no close-combat weapon. A Charger? A Champion? A Ch-something) they did 2 hull points of damage to it with their power fists and only lost 1 guy to stomp attacks. After that round, the Knight player decided to back off and shoot them to pieces. I should've charged him again, but I knew that it had been a fluke that I had survived the first round.

Chaplain

This is a new 7th ed. rule, is it not? I seemed to remember that walkers could leave combat...but I must admit that I have a terrible memory.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    This is a new 7th ed. rule, is it not? I seemed to remember that walkers could leave combat...but I must admit that I have a terrible memory.
    Both my 6th and 5th Edition rulebooks carry this rule for Walkers and Assault. It may be different for Super-Heavies prior to Escalation, though.

I really don't have much information from Super-Heavies before Escalation, and I don't have any main rulebooks prior to 5th Edition.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Both my 6th and 5th Edition rulebooks carry this rule for Walkers and Assault. It may be different for Super-Heavies prior to Escalation, though.

I really don't have much information from Super-Heavies before Escalation, and I don't have any main rulebooks prior to 5th Edition.
    Huh - guess I confused 'em with vehicles or something.

Walkers have been locked in combat at least since 5th edition (don't know about 4th), but it's a new development for Super-heavy Walkers and Gargantuan Creatures. Previously they could just walk away if they wanted to.